Experiments for Thanksgiving... results?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,232 Senior Member
My experiment this year was making my own creole butter injectable marinade.

Turned out good, and I doubt I buy any more prepared marinade.

4 sticks butter, 3 tablespoons of creole seasoning and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.

Melt the butter, mix in the other two ingredients, allow flavors to infuse a day or two in the refrigerator.

Heat in microwave 15 sec at a time until melted, mix thoroughly, fill injector, inject bird, repeat until bird is fully injected.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,506 Senior Member
    Smoked a whole turkey for the first time. Then, had to refrigerate it, then drive it to my Mom's. Carved and reheated in the oven to serve.

It actually turned out great. I was really worried it would be dry... Makes me wonder what it would have been like right out of the smoker.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,392 Senior Member
    I do the bird farm style and that is hard to beat. The meal is done the same way as it has been for at least 4 generations. No reason to change. I did a stuffing upgrade 25 years ago though. Desserts on the other hand.... I tried sweet potato pie, and pumpkin is nonexistent in the house now, I think the Choc pecan will be a reoccurring pie also.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,881 Senior Member
    I always make stuffing using my great grandmothers recipe I learned from my mother. It requires pork sausage and a few members of the family do not eat pork, so this year I used pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles. It turned out great, I'll continue making it this way. Fairly simple recipe!
    Dry bread of any kind, or one pack stuffing mix.
    One small onion and three large stalks of celery diced and sautéed with fresh garlic, salt pepper and crushed red pepper to taste.
    One small apple diced.
    two eggs.
    One pack Jimmy Dean Turkey crumbles.
    One qt turkey broth.
    Combined everything and let all the broth get soaked up.
    Put in pan and bake covered for about 1.5 hours at 350. Uncover for a while if you like it crusty on top!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    I like your marinade, but I would substitute Liquid Garlic for garlic powder. Liquid garlic is more intense and it won't clog up your brine pump needle. I used to use liquid onion AND liquid garlic. Get some Louisiana peppers (Cayenne)and squeeze the the juice out of them into a bowl, then add to the mix in the proper proportion. And being at 9 on a hotness scale of 1-10 you don't need many.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.