Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fidel bites the dust

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Cuba Libre's for all!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Never been to Cuba....but few of us ever have! The Cuban Situation has played a little part in my experiences, however! Much of it was highly classified at the time, and some probably still is, but there were other parts that I think are interesting and unclassified.

Distinctly remember Fidel's rise to power and take-over. I'M THAT OLD!

Patrolled off Cuba in the early phases photographing and analyzing Soviet merships incoming to Havana.

Kept an eye on Soviet TU95D's which left Murmansk every Wednesday morning incoming to Cuba. Always 5 of 'em....the Soviet's were "creatures of habit"! (You could almost hear the damn things once the G-I-UK Gap was reached!)

Assisted in debriefing incoming Cuban refugees in the late 60's--early 70's. One of these Refugees was a former "Mistress" of Fidel's (E Pluribus Unum, I think!). This was a very interesting experience. She lived in a really upscale neighborhood in Miami, under constant armed guard, and she refused to face the debriefing team of which I was a very "junior" member! We talked to her through a partially opened door with her out of vision and under protection of an armed guard. Interesting experience!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,691 Senior Member
    Very interesting that you were a part of it woods.
    I had planned on driving down to the Cuban Crafters cigar store today. Plans are changed as people are partying in the streets in little havana and hialeah.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Naturally, President Obama offered his condolences to Castro's family. Funny how President Obama never offered any sympathy to the thousands of people tortured and murdered by Fidel's secret police and army in Cuba, Angola, and elsewhere about Central and South America. Obama never voiced any condolences for all the victims of Castro's favorite enforcer, Che Guevara.

It takes the death of a communist dictator to bring out the vicious and hateful hearts of progressive liberals - to reveal the depth of their cynicism and hypocrisy - to expose them for what they really are - the common enemies of all mankind.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dipstick Obammy said history will be the judge of Fidel's legacy.

Less than 2 months and that IDIOT will be gone form 1600 Penn Ave :applause: :applause:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Edited double tap..............
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    Well, Fidel is now a Good Communist
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    Took the old bastard long enough...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    My daddy always said,"If you're going to speak of the dead, say something good."

Well........Castro's dead..............good.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    O'bummer has never met a Dictator (being one himself) or a Communist country that he didn't feel obligated to apologize to in behalf of the United States of America. January 20th can't come soon enough.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    That murderous old Communist Fidel, died on Black Friday, the most Capitalist day of the year. :tooth: Now if his brother will just follow suit, or get run out of Cuba, that would be great. If they could just get rid of the ruling Communists they could be a tourist paradise and make something of their country.

Only part of Cuba I've been on is Guantanamo Bay. Not a fun place, and that was LONG before the terrorist prison camp was built. Back then any land there not around buildings was a freakin' mess of sticky prickly cactus. You stayed on the roads and cleared paths. The brush was just as unfriendly.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Good riddance, way over due. We left in 1960, with my dad following about a year later. In july 1958 my dad was taken hostage by Raul when he kidnapped some American citizens and some military in a political move. Did not work. My dad was Cuban but got US citizenship in WW2 because he wanted to serve in the US Navy which he did...........in a sub. We lived in Nicaro and Moa Bay, where the nickel mines were. This is on the northeastern part of the island.

Nothing will change as Raul is still in charge, nor will it when "elections" are held in 2018.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Castro wins 2016 Mannequin contest hands down! :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    Good riddance, way over due. We left in 1960, with my dad following about a year later. In july 1958 my dad was taken hostage by Raul when he kidnapped some American citizens and some military in a political move. Did not work. My dad was Cuban but got US citizenship in WW2 because he wanted to serve in the US Navy which he did...........in a sub. We lived in Nicaro and Moa Bay, where the nickel mines were. This is on the northeastern part of the island.

Nothing will change as Raul is still in charge, nor will it when "elections" are held in 2018.
    Every American with a Cuban heritage, EVERY ONE, has said some form of the bolded part. As long as a Castro brother is alive, change ain't likely to happen in Cuba. A pity.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Ruling classes tend to not give up power, it has to be forced from them. Unfortunately, the Cuban people do not have the tools to do this. If we can support the muslim brotherhood with weapons, why can we not do the same for Cuba?
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Well, we tried to with the Bay of Pigs and got egg on our faces, so....
    Overkill is underrated.
    Know it well. A lot of politics, possible CIA leak, not wanting the US to look to USSR like it was openly helping, a huge anti Batista sentiment in Cuba did not help. Nowadays too many brainwashed people in Cuba to do anything........

All we can do is see what happens in the next few years and hope for the best.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Yep. I think the other issues are that Communism is no longer the dominant threat in the world - not even Red China is Communist, it's Maoist - and the fact that having a totalitarian regime to our south has some political advantages. I know it's conspiratorial, but I wonder if some of the folks in the US trying to "fight" the Castro regime don't benefit financially from the struggle. A revenue source that would go away if Cuba became free.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Good! I'm quite happy he kicked the bucket.

Local commies and mass media are walking around looking like extras from "The walking dead"; have taken flowers to the Cuban embassy and have got all the attention of the local journalism, which by the way is saturating the airwaves with Castro's life specials and clearly left-leaning documentaries.

Pretty much against my will, went to Havana in '06 for my honeymoon; wife's argument touched my history buff's nerve: "When are you going to have the chance to visit another "frozen in time" communist dictatorship with nice beaches?".
    One thing that called my attention is that Fidel was nowhere to be; only a couple of street ads with revolutionary mottoes and that was it; all the rest of the ubiquitous political propaganda was literally Che Guevara's related.
    If they made the revolution to free Cubans of poverty, they failed miserably; out of the tourist circuit everything was derelict and during the weekdays people seemed to be more hanging around that actually working...not different from any of the poorest S.A. 3rld. world countries we've visited/lived in.

For all that matters, Castro was currently an "old men's issue", irrelevant to the "Pokemon go generation"; virtually disappeared as a relevant political reference the day after the Berlin wall was demolished (Along with Cuba's relevancy in the Western geopolitical game; without the island as a missile & communist base, it became as important as say Jamaica) , except maybe for the Latin American die-hard communist "leaders" and the now-wailing liberals still suffering from Trump's election.

As others said, as long as his brother Raul, the original communist ideologist of his band, is in power, nothing's going to change for the island. After the cheap oil flow from Venezuela ends and once both Castro are dead, we'll see the real struggle for power between their present military leadership in charge of "pulling the strings" in the country.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    What did Castro know about Hillary?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    What did Castro know about Hillary?
    OH SNAP!! :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:

As to not speaking ill of the dead, Fidel shouldn't have any more complaints of being cold :devil:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.