.243 Win: Tikka T3 Hunter or Browning X-Bolt Hunter?

2»

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,431 Senior Member
    Alec,

No way I'm going through the buy it overseas/bring it in the country thing ever again. The Winchester O/U that recently broke wand got sent back to Winchester for replacement? Turns out it was never documented on the way int othe country and I now have to wait on the ATF to determine its fate. It's nothing illegal on my end, but they may ask the girl who I bought it from why/how she got it into the country without reporting it to customs!

On a different note, this case is about closed fellas. As much as it pains me to literally buy the exact same gun that I already own merely in a different caliber, I did just that. I really wanted to try the X-Bolt, but once again, the lack of availibility on something so seemingly simple as a .243 became too convoluted to find in a left-handed setup. After mans calls to many distros, I gave up. It was going to another one of those "we'll have to have a distro place an order with the factory, and we can't tell ya how long that will take." There was exactly **one** Tikka T3 Stainless Lite .243 lefty remaining online that I could order to a local LGS, so I pulled the trigger and ordered it before my situation got more hopeless. I then placed an order with Sinclair for a set of Redding dies and Winchester brass. I will be trying some 90 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips that I had laying around from a failed varmint experiment. As a failsafe, I also ordered one of the newly released Barnes 12-bullet sample packs of 80 gr TTSX bullets. It's nice to be able to try an $11 batch for testing instead of sticking you with a $32 box of 50 bullets that may or may not suck in your particular gun. It's not a value, but the bottom line works out, especially if things fall through.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Glad you found what you wanted, but I was really hoping for a trusted range report on the X-bolt lol. I figured I might even get to shoot it one of these days :wink:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Hey, if it were up to me, I probably would've tried to help you out thee, but the laws of stock and demand conspired to screw me out of even having the option. That said, depending on how fast I can get this gun up, running, and certified, it may come out with me for that goat hunt.
    excellent!

You'll be traveling with my goat gun lol by all means, feel free to run a box through it :)
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    If it's me, I'd get a Stevens 200 and have the trigger worked on for about $30-$40 and put a nice scope on it. I am sold on the Stevens and Savages. My .223 Model 200 is so damn sweet. I did the trigger myself. That was a no brainer. I was going to get a Timney or Rifle Basix and put on it, but after my experience with the 200 trigger, I think this worked out for the better. It's do nice. And the rifle is just pure sweetness. And for $350 out the door I was able to put some nice glass on it and still stay under $665.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake the problem is Six-Gun is left handed. His choices are extremely limited. Well, companies ADVERTISE lots of LH models, but actually putting your hands on one isn't always so easy. That is why his DG guns are push fed :yikes:
    Yeah I got you MHS, I was thinking Savage when I was talking Stevens and the 200 doesn't come in a South Paw model, I don't think anyway. Well I know that Remington and Savage make it though. But he may like the fancy grade wood better.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake the problem is Six-Gun is left handed. His choices are extremely limited. Well, companies ADVERTISE lots of LH models, but actually putting your hands on one isn't always so easy. That is why his DG guns are push fed :yikes:

This is exactly right. It seems that half of my "choices" in left-handed models are vaporware: companies have them on paper, but good luck trying to find a distro, let alone a dealer, who actually has any. That's precisely why I had to jump on the last Tikka Lie Stainless in .243 Win before it was gone. If they run out, there's a good chance that you won't see another one produced by the factory until the next year. That's literally what I may have been looking at if I waited for aa lefty .243 X-Bolt according to one distributer's representative.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah I got you MHS, I was thinking Savage when I was talking Stevens and the 200 doesn't come in a South Paw model, I don't think anyway. Well I know that Remington and Savage make it though. But he may like the fancy grade wood better.

Savage was on my list, too, but I opted for a Tikka or Browning in the same price range just because. I love my Savage Model 16Weather Warrior in 7mm-08, but was hoping to salvage a nicer wood stock option. In the end, it was a moot wish that didn't come true. I was pondering Savage again at the last minute, but the need to stay focused crept in and got the better of me.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Was just wondering if it was possible for you to find someone on deployment in Europe that was due to come home and get them to bring one back for you....(I Dont know enough about the details of bringing one home from abroad but maybe it is doable)

Oh that would be red tape vill for sure. It would entail an import fee and you would have to have an importer deal with this. It's easier and cheaper to just buy it in the States.
    Man I woulda thought Savage would have had some .243 lefties.

Opps! I see now you had considered it. Well now I see why you are a Tikka fan. They're accurate and quality but most of all they have what you need.
    Well at least he gotter done. It was close though like he said.
    Yeah, with my luck, waiting one more day would've been looking at a empty shelf at a LGS or online distro for a long time to come. Like Durwood said, there's nothing broing about accuracy and I know I'll have a tack driver with Tikka.