Home Main Category Clubhouse

Check-in NZ friends: 7 dead, 1 missing in New Zealand fishing boat disappearance

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Hope our members are OK and my :angel2: :angel2: prayers go out to the victims and their families.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/27/7-dead-1-missing-in-new-zealand-fishing-boat-disappearance.html
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    I went to Francie Charters FB page
    does not appear to be our friends
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good, I don't do FB............the world has seen enough of my butt already and I don't hang it out much anymore, except on here :tooth:

Sad situation there, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,245 Senior Member
    Got a call on saturday afternoon about 2.30pm from Rodney Bridge, the same skipper I crewed for on the last 2 rescues to meet him at his boat as the Francie was overdue. Grabbed my safety bag and headed out. Rang him on the way 45mins later and we got stood down as the rescue chopper had already started finding bodies and conditions on the bar had worsened to the point where it was completely impassable.

Still waiting for the police to release the official list of names of those that didnt make it..............but unofficially I know that at least 5 of those who didnt make it were friends of mine. They are all guys who chartered Marks boat every fortnight and had done so for the last 6-7 years. The reason they were on the Francie is because we are still not operating as the boat is still being altered.

I cant say any more at this stage as an investigation is already underway and I will possibly be involved in that. I will however say that I agree entirely with Rods comments based on my experience and the conditions on saturday.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11755637

My prayers and condolences go out to the families and friends of those that didnt make it.

This should never have happened.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    My best to you and yours orchidman.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    OUCH! That hits way too close to home, especially when you're involved in rescue work! Be safe! Condolences to the families of the lost!
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    Goddess Mother, what a mess. When it goes to Hell, it goes quickly - especially on the water. Prayers for the victims and families. :angel::angel2::angel:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,245 Senior Member
    Glad to hear you're ok, but sorry to hear about your friends! The group wouldn't happen to be the group we went out with would it? Either way very sad to hear.

Yes it was the same group.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your friends and the fishermen on the boat. Fishing boat crews pretty much know each other and that makes it hard to deal with. And the same for the regular customer fishermen that you meet. A prayer for all concerned. :angel2: Be safe, Alec.

Looking at that aerial view of the harbor entrance, I can better see what you describe crossing the bar to get out of the harbor. Coming back in with the wind at your back and heavy following seas would be seriously bad time. That funnel entrance magnifies everything.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Prayers from us, Alec.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,638 Senior Member
    Prayers out from our family to theirs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,776 Senior Member
    Prayers for all!:angel2::angel2:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    Condolences for the loss of your friends, and prayers for you & their families :angel2: :angel2:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    So sorry for the loss of your friends.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Alec, condolences from us to you.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: