Home Main Category Hunting

MY first deer of the season!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 28,060 Senior Member
Rancher friend called me while my kids and I were at the movies early this afternoon. Of course, I was polite and stepped out of the theater to answer. He asked if I could come cull a doe this afternoon. Yup!

As soon as the movie was over, i dropped the kids at the house, grabbed my gear, and headed to the ranch. He wanted it to be quieter as not to spook the whole ranch, so I had to use the .243 Medium again instead of some of the other toys I want to use this season. But, I do what the man requests.

Showed up and we jumped in his Ranger ATV. Drove down the road that runs through the middle of his ranch and threw out some corn to stop the deer. Parked up on a hill overlooking the road and got in the prone position.

After a little while, deer began to come out of the brush and cross the field.

.243%20Mill%20Doe%2011-27-16%203_zpsbcz9yad3.jpg

.243%20Mill%20Doe%2011-27-16%207_zpslhbdtaow.jpg

Eventually, there were a BUTT LOAD of deer in the field, on the road, coming and going......... A lot of deer. Most of the does had twin fawns. Only a couple had singles. But, we were looking for a solo doe and that actually took a little bit of looking and filtering. Finally, we picked one out that didn't have a tag along. I reached up and started the video. Got back on the gun and...............

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/lovinmycaitlynn/Hunting/.243%20Mill%20Doe%2011-27-16%201_zpsug02vroy.mp4

End of story.

Nothing fancy. Caught her behind the chin as she fed away from us with a 105gr A-Max and it came out her off side eye. Distance was something over 100 yards. I didn't actually range her. Knew she was between 100-150 yards so I held POA/POI.

Loaded her in the Ranger and drove to the barn

.243%20Mill%20Doe%2011-27-16%209_zps6fjcl6s1.jpg

.243%20Mill%20Doe%2011-27-16%208_zps2efqiqcg.jpg

Pretty simple. But, I'm on the board for deer season.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Thornton COPosts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That country looks nice in the evening fall light.

Good shot, I never shot one in the head.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Very nice. I laughed at how slow the smaller doe in the foreground took like a day to realize it might wanna run. Total contrast to the doe that leaped in the back.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Great shot. Good to see you open the the season. I have always found that head/neck shot animals that drop on the spot are more tender than those that have run before dropping. She should be great eating!

I paused your video when the shot went off and then frame by framed it forward. The deer on the far side jumped up high enough to almost go into sub orbit!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I paused your video when the shot went off and then frame by framed it forward. The deer on the far side jumped up high enough to almost go into sub orbit!

You see the bullet ricochet off the road in front of her? Ha!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Some video, hey.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Nicely done, head shot is no easy thing.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Quick and efficient
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Quick and efficient

I does a number on them. That's for sure.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Nicely done, head shot is no easy thing.

If the trigger and nut behind it work well, they aren't that hard. A stable platform is a must, though. I wouldn't try one if I was wobbling around.Unless it was relatively close.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    If the trigger and nut behind it work well, they aren't that hard. A stable platform is a must, though.
    Well said.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Good show.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    View on the way home from the ranch yesterday evening.

D5BEFCE8-131F-4E79-A43F-22A74D3D2C69_zpsfofnca45.jpg
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Dam man. Beautiful country and nice shot. You should have your own hunting show but I don't know how well the blurry face Tom Sellleck look will go over :jester:
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 362 Member
    Nice looking place!
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member NEPA Near Lake WallenpaupackPosts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Nice!
    Support your local Scouts!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Nicely done.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Very nice! Congrats!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Great shot. Good to see you open the the season. I have always found that head/neck shot animals that drop on the spot are more tender than those that have run before dropping. She should be great eating!

Not to mention that ODing on Adrenalin makes em taste a little strong.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Zee wrote: »
    View on the way home from the ranch yesterday evening.

D5BEFCE8-131F-4E79-A43F-22A74D3D2C69_zpsfofnca45.jpg

That view looks similar to the panhandle or up that way.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    This year so far sucks, and not in a good way. I can count on one hand the days when it's been below 60 degrees, and that's in the morning. Also, we've had a bumper crop of acorns and the deer don't have to show their butts to eat. That, with a weak rut spells disaster for hunting. And now no more does. Doe season ended Sunday. I haven't even seen any hogs yet
    But we have large motts of almost Impenatrable thick brush here. The deer stay in there and with the exception of rut, which it seems we had little of, due to the temperatures, eat acorns and never show their faces until the acorns rot.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Well. . .that was an easy tracking job. :applause:

Nice thing about the .243 / 6 Rem - there ain't no trajectory to 'em for the first 300 yards. I've seriously got to take up 'yotes with mine. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    Well done! That country is gorgeous...
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.