Why won't some LGSs take a C&R Lic#

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Another thread got me thinking about this. I know a lot of LGSs won't take a C&R Lic# and even some Internet joints. I've read about it before on here too.

Is it because they don't won't to do the research when it's obvious the gun you want to buy is C&R eligible? Because they want to play it safe? Because the hired help only knows one type of transaction?

The BATF website has a list of C&R guns and it is way longer than most folks think.

Any of you ever have to go the "regular" route in purchasing a gun even though your valid C&R should be all that's needed?

I would never ask a seller to do anything that is remotely illegal/questionable with a C&R transaction, nor would I if I were selling a gun.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

Any of you ever have to go the "regular" route in purchasing a gun even though your valid C&R should be all that's needed?
    I haven't
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member Posts: 149 Member
    I see it more of a "play it safe" thing more than anything. I'm sure the hired help isn't fully knowledgable on all the rules & regulations not otherwise needed on the 4473. Never had to have the C&R thing be an issue but have had a shop not want to have anything to do with being the shipper for a transfer. "we only transfer in, not out". :uhm: I even explained the process to the kid, had a signed FFL in hand of the receiving dealer but still no comprehension on his part. :uhm: Needless to say, they lost that and any later business with me. Do they care - doubt it but I know Cop Stop in pearland, TX will never get even a nickel from me. :banned:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I can see the shop's concern because the BATF has been known in the past to jump on them with both feet for the slightest clerical error/minor infraction.
    However, with a valid C&R & ID that should be all they need for a C&R purchase, correct?

Another forum was discussing this and some say the explanation was they buy all their guns with their 01 FFL and that's the only Lic# they will take or the regular paperwork route.

Very seldom I see a C&R gun at a gun-shop that is reasonably priced anyhow. I see plenty of $69.95 Mosin Nagnats they bought by the crate full for for $129-169 and up. Nope, not interested, but occasionally................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Some states do not recognize C&Rs , nor allow their holders to transfer in guns with certain features. IIRC , Cali is one of them. It can get confusing. Some just see C&R holders as eating into their profits and stealing sales. One LGS owner who does the paperwork for a gun auction several times a year will not accept a C&R. His reason , "Because I don't!" PA State Police will often confiscate a handgun purchased under a C&R if your carrying it because it's not registered in their illegal 'record of sale' database. They simply say "we do not recognize C&R purchases as legal" , even though there is no statute on the PA Firearms Law.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4: Registration of firearms
    Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    After seeing the ATF harassment that finally resulted in my favorite LGS getting its license pulled, I don't blame anybody for requiring a 4473 for every sale. The term "Jackbooted Thugs" was right on the money! That shop was in operation for 40+ years between two owners, and other than a few minor errors on individual 4473's, there was never a question about them doing things the right way. They certainly didn't condone straw purchases or other blatant violations. Maybe that's why ATF zeroed in on them so much- - - -they wouldn't play ball with Obummer's under the table attempts to coerce gun shops to break the law!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    One shop I stopped in while out & about did honor my C&R for a purchase , but photocopied my D/L and had me fill out a 4473 anyway. I had no problems with that since they didn't know me. I also don't think a C&R can be verified on the ATF hotline. A few dealers I know told me that some C&R holders also thought the license made them exempt from paying PA state sales tax and got rather argumentative about it.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Don't do the regular method whatever that is, don't have a C&R; just whip out the CCW and it doesn't matter what else you have or don't have.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Don't do the regular method whatever that is, don't have a C&R; just whip out the CCW and it doesn't matter what else you have or don't have.

A LTCF as it's called here in PA does not exempt you from the pre-purchase Insta-Check. At one time it did. The Insta-Check also adds a $5 state fee to the price. And that's what it's all about.
  • sootsmesootsme New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    In Washington state, with my Concealed permit, I still needed to be passed by the ATF for both my 10/22 and my Mossberg 12 guage... Took their sweet time about it too...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."- Ben Franklin :up:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    After seeing the ATF harassment that finally resulted in my favorite LGS getting its license pulled, I don't blame anybody for requiring a 4473 for every sale. The term "Jackbooted Thugs" was right on the money! That shop was in operation for 40+ years between two owners, and other than a few minor errors on individual 4473's, there was never a question about them doing things the right way. They certainly didn't condone straw purchases or other blatant violations. Maybe that's why ATF zeroed in on them so much- - - -they wouldn't play ball with Obummer's under the table attempts to coerce gun shops to break the law!
    Jerry

I really hope it was not that really nice gun store with the range you took me to years ago !!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996