Teach been playin with matches?

hawk18hawk18 Senior MemberPosts: 693 Senior Member
The news was just saying that we're sending some of our boys and girls to Tennessee to fight wildfires. Bunches of people displaced. Sorry to hear that. Especially, this time of year.

Hawk

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,088 Senior Member
    It's going to be a huge economic blow to the tourist traps in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. As tragic as that might be, it was somewhat predictable. The whole west side of the Smoky Mountains park area has been developed into miles of tourist-related business crammed as close together as possible, and when a fire approaches that area it can get serious in a hurry. I believe one big resort hotel has burned already, and they're probably in a desperate battle to prevent the damage from spreading. Sixgun and his family left Gatlinburg just ahead of the fires, so we're very glad he's out of harm's way!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It was Gatlinburg in mid July. I just hit town and my throat was dry. I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew. In an old saloon on a street of mud there at at a table dealing stud, sat the dirty mangie dog that named me Sue.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,622 Senior Member
    Been decades since there was a fire in the Smoky Mountains. There's megatons of dried leaves, downed trees, and brush that is dryer than a popcorn fart. All that wind last night that proceeded the 3/4" of rain (here at my place) whipped up the fires pretty good. There's fires burning all over NE GA, SE TN, and SW NC right now. They are hard to contain due to the super dry leaf litter, undergrowth, and felled trees. And there's arsonists setting new ones.

It would be a lot better to let the fires burn and just protect as many homes and other structures as possible. It would look ugly for about 10 years until the new growth really took off, but at least all that massive fire load would be gone. Remember the Yellowstone fire? It cleaned out a huge swath of old dead trees, fallen timber, and brush. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth over that fire. And then it came back like gangbusters in a few years with lots of feed for the wildlife, and new healthy young trees.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,818 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It's going to be a huge economic blow to the tourist traps in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. As tragic as that might be, it was somewhat predictable. The whole west side of the Smoky Mountains park area has been developed into miles of tourist-related business crammed as close together as possible, and when a fire approaches that area it can get serious in a hurry. I believe one big resort hotel has burned already, and they're probably in a desperate battle to prevent the damage from spreading. Sixgun and his family left Gatlinburg just ahead of the fires, so we're very glad he's out of harm's way!
    Jerry
    It's hard to overstate just how lucky we were to get out of there when we did. We're seeing mages on the news of where, just three days ago we were standing with our kids, and just two days ago we were driving to leave Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. The heavy traffic we experienced as a simple inconvenience while leaving town could've been deadly under these circumstances. One of the places across from where we ate lunch Friday afternoon (Oberg ski resort) is a confirmed casualty of the fires, as are many other businesses and homes. I wonder if the bears on exhibit at one of the stores in town have survived, as the local aquarium down there is apparently perilously close to being destroyed and its animals currently unattended due to the evacuation.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,236 Senior Member
    The winds last night were horrific. We had a small , (20 acres) fire with my volunteer department. At the same time, they were getting organised at work to send 2 engines, 2 truck companies and 16 men to help in Gatlinburg. We finally got ours under control only to go back out and hour later for a spot fire that jumped the bulldozed line to start 200 yards away from the line. Still haven't been to bed. Just got done loading up 6 people 1 mini-pumper and a tanker/tender from the volunteer dept. to go to Gatlinburg to help. This will not be a quickly resolved event, going to be a long process to get everything under control. One 16 story hotel, destroyed, Ober Gatlinburg damaged, hundreds of individual cabins destroyed. Pray for all those involved, the responders and the victims.

Edited to add: Nothing confirmed, but heard reports that make me think the bears didn't make it.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,419 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,818 Senior Member
    Prayers already out for the folks affected. I heard news reports claiming that winds in the Smokies hit *70 mph* last night. I can't imagine it gets much worse for wild fire control and containment teams.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Rain coming.............I hope it drenches the area good.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Rain coming.............I hope it drenches the area good.

I got 3/4" of rain late last night and early this morning. Don't know if they got that much over there, but they really need it. Wind was pretty strong here last night before the rain. More rain expected later tonight with up to two inches in most of the area. That should help with the fire in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but it's going to be preceded by more high winds; system has already spawned a tornado in Mississippi. They could do without the wind. As steep as most of that area is around Gatlinburg, that's like being at the top of a brush pile on fire where a lot of those houses and cabins have been built.

Just an observation from Big Chief's link in Post #7. If you look at the pictures where the trees are clearly visible, a lot of those trees are fir and hemlock that died from a bug infestation (not pine borers) that started in the 1990s. They weren't allowed to be cleared when they died; thanks a lot National Park and Forest Service. They're full of dried resin and burn like crazy.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    Any word from Cades Cove? I haven't seen anything. That's probably my favorite place in the Smokies.

Was under a tornado warning and hr ago but it was a non-event here. Apparently, there was a tornado southeast of here headed toward Alabama.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Forest fire is a natural event here in the South. The Mountains don't burn as often as the Piedmont and Coastal Plains do, however. Here where I am in the Lower Coastal Plains lightning traditionally strikes and sets fire on every 315 acres once every year. Nature, in the form of plant and animal life, adjusts and develops to this scheme. Then enters **** boobiensis......................!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    Tornado on the ground an hour west of us. I think it will track north of us. Button up Teach. If it holds together, this storm may help the fires some.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Looks like it's going to split the difference- - - - -got the radar on the computer and we're checking it regularly. So far so good!
    Jerry
    , got one in south Huntsville. Getting close.

Still 69 deg. out, that's why they are spinning up. Power out in many areas south of me. About to loose tv I think. Yup just went out. Switching to computer radar.

All clear for now, passed about 2 miles from me. Power is out there.

News said 3 folks killed in Rosalie ALA, I got kinfolks just a few miles from there on Sand Mtn.

My :angel2: :angel2: go out to all in the path of those storms and fires.
    Tornado (they think) in Grundy county TN NW of Chattanooga. Formed nearly on top of the weather radar installation. It started sprinkling rain here around 10:30 p.m. and got down to rain and wind around 11:30 p.m.

Got up this morning to see that it had rained 3 inches overnight and it's still raining a slow soaking rain and light breeze. Haven't had mudpuddles in the yard in over 4 months. Hope that the Smoky Mountains got at least that much or more. Supposed to rain all day and stop around midnight as the front passes.

Tornadoes this time of year in the South aren't all that uncommon.
    :angel2: Prayer for the tornado and fire victims.

3 inches of rain here last night, and some moderate wind, but the main damage went just a little south of us. Boom or bust- - - - -drought for weeks and then the rain we've been needing all at once!
    Jerry
    Lots of debris around here. I had a few limbs down. The folks a couple miles from me that got hit may without power a couple days, my sister included. The lake at work has overflowed it's banks. Still raining some.

Did Harvest get walloped again?
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Did Harvest get walloped again?

Not that I know of.

Tornado went through East side of Athens, Tennessee. 23 people injured and some really bad property damage. Power out to a large section of the town, too. Didn't find out about it until the 6:00 o'clock local newscast.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,292 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    ... Athens, Tennessee...
    Wait for it...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    They had one in Athens AL too. Wambli and tornados, two of a kind

BAMAAK wrote: »
    They had one in Athens AL too. Wambli and tornados, two of a kind

Guess it's a good thing he didn't go to Athens, GA!

The tornado that hit a couple miles from here was an EF2. Lots of trees and buildings damaged, no injuries that i've heard. For those that have been through here, it's right along AL 72, just before you get to civilization. My grandaughter goes to school like 1/2 mile from where it hit. I think it was the same cell that hit Sand Mtn and picked up a trailer and tossed it around killing 3.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,202 Senior Member
    Have friends on Sand Mountain that lost all their chicken houses.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Have friends on Sand Mountain that lost all their chicken houses.

How fare the chickens?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Naturally I am sorry for all who have lost homes, etc in the fires. But being the "Distilled Product" of the Southern Mountains, growing up there in a rural environment with NO fire department to call (or ambulance either) makes me wonder a little bit.......

Has it ever dawned on anyone's thinking WHY rural Mountain People kept ALL burnable fuel away from the house and even used a brush-broom to brush all of the combustable fuel type things out of the yard and away from the house? :uhm: