Teach been playin with matches?

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,654 Senior Member
    You are a tough ole bird Woods........like Teach, Jay and others on here. Y'all had to be outta necessity or you wouldn't have made it this far.

BTW: That was a compliment and besides them old Buzzards can shoot :yikes: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,229 Senior Member
    Just an observation about a lot of those cabins that burned around Gatlinburg. It sorta goes along with what Woodsrunner said.

Lots of those cabins were built on stilts out of necessity due to being on slopes of 45°, some more, some less steep. Some of them have a near 40 foot drop from the back porch to the ground. They were surrounded by dry brush, dry leaves and evergreen needles all over the place, and trees WAY too close to the buildings. When the fire got to the bottom of the ridges and started up, it supplied its own draft and ran up that combustible rich surface at high speed. And most of those new construction 'rustic cabins' are made of wood and catch fire pretty quick.

Nice views from those side-of -the-ridge cabins, but you better be Richard Petty quick getting out if the fire is coming your way.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    I considered buying one of those cabins about 10 yrs ago as an investment/vacation home. They were going for about 150k at the time. Still wish had done it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,979 Senior Member
    A friend of mine almost got caught in one of those cabins. He literally had to drive over and push burning trees out of the way with his truck to get out............

This is his truck......15319206_10211549403958934_9185838491957613463_n.jpg?oh=dbe58072b620b39b9f5f59dd004521df&oe=58C4E3E1
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,229 Senior Member
    I guess the best news out of that mess is that at 4:00 p.m. yesterday the fires were officially out. The firefighters did a real job of getting the fires contained and extinguished. And the rain sure helped their efforts.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
    Went down and helped finish up the search efforts today. Mere pictures cannot convey the extent of the damage. Even driving through it, grasping what happened there is mind boggling. Incident management team should be sent home tomorrow and everything handed back over to Gatlinburg Fire. Excellent job done by all the responders Monday night and Tuesday morning.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    What route are you taking on the way home? Drop by for a visit if you can.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,240 Senior Member
    Sorry Jerry, I was already back in Johnson City when I posted. Would have loved to have met up with you! Three of us loaded up in the Brush truck, (2010 F250 with a slip in unit) and headed out at @ 3:30 AM, drove down to Gatlinburg and drove back to get home @ 4:00 PM. Last night was the first full night's sleep, in my own bed, since last Sunday. Either been on duty with the VFD on fires up here, or, on duty at work running calls. I plan on repeating that move tonight.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Just anounced on the news that the kids face up to 60 years if convicted on current charges, anf prosecution is considering murder charges. Looks like they are charging them as adults as far as I can tell.
    It's because I hate Trump.
2»