Riddle me this?

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,605 Senior Member
Was on my deer stand this morning and had a small button buck come in. I could clearly see his button nubs through my bino's, however they were still completely under the skin. I told my buddy and he asked does a button buck lose their buttons? I said they would have to, but he said it they haven't broken through the skin how could they lose them? I said they just do :buff2:

Thoughts
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Hmm, that is good question. I would say no, if they don't break the skin I don't see how they could shed them. But I actually have no idea :uhm:
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Only if the thread breaks.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,919 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Was on my deer stand this morning and had a small button buck come in. I could clearly see his button nubs through my bino's, however they were still completely under the skin. I told my buddy and he asked does a button buck lose their buttons? I said they would have to, but he said it they haven't broken through the skin how could they lose them? I said they just do :buff2:

Thoughts

I propose the theory that there's nothing there to lose at that point. I believe that those bumps on their heads under the skin are not antlers. They are merely the base of where the antler will eventually grow. If you think about it, have you ever seen a buck after he has shed his antlers in late February or March? They have the same bumps still there. If the deer grows antlers they will break the skin as at least spikes. That's my belief anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,741 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Only if the thread breaks.

Awesome response!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I propose the theory that there's nothing there to lose at that point. I believe that those bumps on their heads under the skin are not antlers. They are merely the base of where the antler will eventually grow. If you think about it, have you ever seen a buck after he has shed his antlers in late February or March? They have the same bumps still there. If the deer grows antlers they will break the skin as at least spikes. That's my belief anyway.

My friend you might be on to.something, never gave that a thought.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21