The modern day lynch mob........

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,612 Senior Member
Here is the scenario. You pay big bucks for some land to hunt. You pay thousands of dollars more in taxes every year just to keep it. You pay even more to plant deer friendly vegetation to attract more deer onto your property.

Opening morning you sit with with high hopes for a chance to fill your freezer to make all of the money worth it. Instead, two dogs chase a deer by your stand. Every day, dogs chase all of the deer away from your property.

The next year, same thing. The dogs have collars, but no one will admit to owning them. What do you do?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,072 Senior Member
    Capture them and call animal control?

Or just the 3 S rule?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Or just the 3 S rule?

This.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Out where I live people let there dogs run to some extent but we respect our neighbors and don't let them run livestock or game. I have shot a few dogs for running foals after warning the owner what was happening ... I even have peppered a couple of my own with bird shot. I hate to shot a dog because of a stupid owner but sometimes talking just don't get the message across.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    I was a member on two different leases when I lived in Texas and two different leases in Alabama and the standing rule on all of them has been to shoot any dogs on the property.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    jbp, don't misunderstand where I am coming from, because I fully understand your disgust with the situation. But you need to be EXTREMELY cautious about putting the 3s rule in force. There are some very well documented court cases all the way to the Supreme Court that will find you guilty of killing a dog that is no threat to you personally. Unless you are personally under attack beyond any question what-so-ever, you are taking one hellova risk for shooting a dog...even with no collar...on your property.

If its any consolation, don't be too worried about dogs putting your deer in the "hurt locker".Dogs--even coyotes (but forget I mentioned "yodeldogs") are no significant predator on Whitetails other than maybe one that is severely injured or diseased. It's just an agrivating mess to you, and I understand that.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,612 Senior Member
    jbp, don't misunderstand where I am coming from, because I fully understand your disgust with the situation. But you need to be EXTREMELY cautious about putting the 3s rule in force. There are some very well documented court cases all the way to the Supreme Court that will find you guilty of killing a dog that is no threat to you personally. Unless you are personally under attack beyond any question what-so-ever, you are taking one hellova risk for shooting a dog...even with no collar...on your property.

If its any consolation, don't be too worried about dogs putting your deer in the "hurt locker".Dogs--even coyotes (but forget I mentioned "yodeldogs") are no significant predator on Whitetails other than maybe one that is severely injured or diseased. It's just an agrivating mess to you, and I understand that.

Did not happen to me. Just a story I saw today.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/11/29/disgusting-dog-hunter-just-shot-two-dogs-hunters-need-condemn/

http://fox8.com/2016/11/30/hunter-faces-charges-after-mans-dogs-are-shot-to-death-found-under-brush-pile/

I looked for an hour today. No where is there any mention of the hunters side of the story.

The guy who's dogs got shot wasted no time in setting up a GoFund me page to cash in. He says the dogs got lose because he was getting ready to close the gate....... from his own FB page....... He always keep them in that 'gate'?

1917741_1199395703663_4723323_n.jpg?oh=c748f21f75cbf6f8709d1af34cf5d67c&oe=58B44D65

And...... all of these people calling for violence and death to the hunter? The guy who's dogs were shot???? Shot a neighbors dog!!!

http://www.hotbench.tv/shot-the-pit-bulls

More than likely the guy is guilty and is going to be charged with two felonies. My how things have changed
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

It's not as much a matter of the dogs injuring the deer as it is making the deer leave the area to look for for a new home where they won't be harassed. And any dogs that have ever been shot on any lease that I've been on merely disappeared. The coyotes have always done a quick and thorough cleanup job.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,107 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    The coyotes have always done a quick and thorough cleanup job.
    I've also heard that collars fit well in stump holes, with a little help from a stick.
    I wouldn't know though :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,832 Senior Member
    Here it is legal to shoot them if they are harassing livestock or game animals.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

In Ohio, it's now a felony, and he may lose his right to own a firearm.

The guy may be a huge ****, but everyone just believed the owner of the dogs.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    This idiot obviously didn't remember the third "S"- - - - -he just had to brag about it!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    This idiot obviously didn't remember the third "S"- - - - -he just had to brag about it!
    Jerry
    Exactly what I was thinking, and on face***k no less. A Real Mental Giant...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    Catch the dogs and take then into the city and let them go.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Catch the dogs and take then into the city and let them go.

Maybe Olongapo ... no evidence would ever surface there.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Maybe Olongapo ... no evidence would ever surface there.
    If you have a Mung community you might be able to sell them.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

Mung? Mung Dynasty? I made that up................orientals?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,733 Senior Member
    Been there. Done that more times than I care to remember.

Stuff happens.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,098 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

I distinctly remember being told this during my gun safety class in 7th grade by a DNR official, they said these dogs will do this all of the time and the usually just run a deer until it is dead or they catch and kill it, they will not stop this behavior, we were encouraged to shoot them during deer season.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj wrote: »
    The first article said they learned the Facebook post was fake.

Exactly. The guy making the accusations is sketchy AF. Everyone just believes the ''Took the collars as trophies'' BS as gospel and the animal rights nut jobs want the hunter dead....... literally.

Once again, some city slicker libtards make a law to make something that has been common sense for generations (Killing deer runners) a felony. They have no idea what dogs do when they run in packs.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

Hmong- - - -right idea, lousy spelling!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I distinctly remember being told this during my gun safety class in 7th grade by a DNR official, they said these dogs will do this all of the time and the usually just run a deer until it is dead or they catch and kill it, they will not stop this behavior, we were encouraged to shoot them during deer season.

Even good dogs have gotten into the habit of harassing livestock or wildlife. In areas where folks make a living off of stock those dogs generally don't last long. My Dad put down two of the best dogs we ever owned because they got into the feeder pigs, Mom took care of the third dog when he came back around.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,946 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Did not happen to me. Just a story I saw today.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/11/29/disgusting-dog-hunter-just-shot-two-dogs-hunters-need-condemn/

http://fox8.com/2016/11/30/hunter-faces-charges-after-mans-dogs-are-shot-to-death-found-under-brush-pile/

I looked for an hour today. No where is there any mention of the hunters side of the story.

The guy who's dogs got shot wasted no time in setting up a GoFund me page to cash in. He says the dogs got lose because he was getting ready to close the gate....... from his own FB page....... He always keep them in that 'gate'?

1917741_1199395703663_4723323_n.jpg?oh=c748f21f75cbf6f8709d1af34cf5d67c&oe=58B44D65

And...... all of these people calling for violence and death to the hunter? The guy who's dogs were shot???? Shot a neighbors dog!!!

http://www.hotbench.tv/shot-the-pit-bulls

More than likely the guy is guilty and is going to be charged with two felonies. My how things have changed

We have at least 200 coyotes on our property. Yeah deer are not showing their faces right now, but we still have lots of deer on our property. The problem we have on my lease is those damn 2 legged coyotes. And some of those are paying members on our lease. People that have no respect for the other leasees. They drive around shooting anything they see. Then they talk like they don't know where all the deer are.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Mung? Mung Dynasty? I made that up................orientals?
    Jerry is right about the correct spelling; however, you can find it both ways on the web.

Chief these were a people of the mountains of south east Asia recruited to fight for us by the CIA during the Vietnam War.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I'm sorry. I can't help it. I read these Posts about wildlife, usually Whitetails, dogs, coyotes, etc and I can't help but lump almost all of you in the "Kindergarten-1st Grade level when it comes to Wildlife Biology/Habitat/Home Range/ etc etc. No one here is willing to think for one moment that possibly.....just possibly.....you might be wrong in your thinking and opinions, and I, the ONLY ONE HERE with one second of forest/wildlife management/biology training/experience is considered to be totally ignorant of the situation. Forget it.....I'm too busy to respond to any of the comments I'll probably generate with this Post. It's been this way for the 10+ years I've been here, and given that about 90% of the population refuses to use their brains to think and use deductive reasoning on a problem but rather simply jump to conclusions,..... it's a lost cause.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,819 Senior Member
    .177 pellets.

Dogs are pretty smart. If it hurts when they go there, they won't come back.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    .177 pellets.

D

That's what I was thinking, that or rock salt.

BigDanS wrote: »

Deer are too. Young deer or deer that live close to noise and activity are used to it and can coexist but trophy deer in remote areas got big because they avoid noise and activity.

As I think about it, the pain issue doesn't always work either, especially when instinct kicks in. Our older heeler has been stomped into the pasture on more than one occasion and has been seriously injured and even though she's 15 years old, if I let her out the back door with out a leash, she'll head straight for the horses and her injuries were much more painful than getting hit in the butt with a bb. Heelers are smart dogs but with all animals, instinct can overpower common sense.
    I'm sorry. I can't help it. I read these Posts about wildlife, usually Whitetails, dogs, coyotes, etc and I can't help but lump almost all of you in the "Kindergarten-1st Grade level when it comes to Wildlife Biology/Habitat/Home Range/ etc etc. No one here is willing to think for one moment that possibly.....just possibly.....you might be wrong in your thinking and opinions, and I, the ONLY ONE HERE with one second of forest/wildlife management/biology training/experience is considered to be totally ignorant of the situation. Forget it.....I'm too busy to respond to any of the comments I'll probably generate with this Post. It's been this way for the 10+ years I've been here, and given that about 90% of the population refuses to use their brains to think and use deductive reasoning on a problem but rather simply jump to conclusions,..... it's a lost cause.

And maybe you don't know what it is like to hunt deer on your own land in Ohio. At best, you might be able to afford 5-10 acre's. Everyone I know that has more, has either owned it (or family member owned) for generations, or the whole family goes in on 40-50. Most people/farmers that own large tracts of land are forced to lease the hunting rights to afford the tax bill.

If your neighbors dogs are allowed to run loose and they like to chase deer, you will NOT see big deer on your property during daylight hours. They may still come in when the dogs are put in the house for the night. Doesn't do a hunter much good.

It's not like having 100's of acres where if the dogs live on the north side, the deer can still be on the south 40.

It has nothing to do with dog predation, the worse offenders are usually beagles. They couldn't bring a deer down if they wanted to.

My brother used to have a decent place to hunt. Saw big BIG bucks in there eating off an old orchard (pear/apple) that was once part of a farm. The land was strip mined and grown over. He hardly saw many hunters in there because it was hard work walking in and out. The lady that owned (inherited) the land got married and her new husband let his big fat work buddy start hunting there. Big fat work buddy used a four wheeler to get to his stand. After the first first day FWB drove his four wheeler onto the property, the big bucks disappeared............... permanently.
    cpj wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was referring to coyotes eating deer.

Dogs are worse than coyotes. The dog always stays near home. If home is right next to your hunting property. You're screwed
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,240 Senior Member
    You're not the only one, and you're also not the only one who's been treated as though they're ignorant when they talk about things they've been trained in. Not just here... it happens in the big wide world, too.

Welcome to my world.
    Overkill is underrated.