The modern day lynch mob........

2»

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,709 Senior Member
    Rich was pretty clear with his original statement but my concern and that of most hunters that I know is not about dogs attacking or eating deer but about dogs chasing deer. My dogs love to chase cats but if the cats don't run, the dogs ignore them. Many breeds of dogs like to chase animals and trophy deer will move to somewhere that they won't be harassed. The OP pointed out that the dogs were seen chasing deer on several occasions.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    They run deer with dogs here
    deer do not have anywhere else to go.

They may become more nocturnal and hold tight until they are sure the dogs are after them, not another deer.

But, they are there and move about normally if the dogs do not get put out for a day or so.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,020 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Jerry is right about the correct spelling; however, you can find it both ways on the web.

Chief these were a people of the mountains of south east Asia recruited to fight for us by the CIA during the Vietnam War.
    And the people (supposedly) in Gran Torino that Eastwood befriended.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Rich was pretty clear with his original statement but my concern and that of most hunters that I know is not about dogs attacking or eating deer but about dogs chasing deer. My dogs love to chase cats but if the cats don't run, the dogs ignore them. Many breeds of dogs like to chase animals and trophy deer will move to somewhere that they won't be harassed. The OP pointed out that the dogs were seen chasing deer on several occasions.

That was just a hypothetical scenario (or I'd say an educated guess). That is kind of what I meant about being a lynch mob. No one knows the hunters story, and they don't care. They just want him dead.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    NN wrote: »
    They run deer with dogs here
    deer do not have anywhere else to go.

They may become more nocturnal and hold tight until they are sure the dogs are after them, not another deer.

But, they are there and move about normally if the dogs do not get put out for a day or so.

That's just it, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to game behavior. Where I hunt, it's sparsely populated and there are thousands of acres of land for deer to move to if they're not happy where they're at. That's why hunters go to great lengths to attract and hold game on their lease or property.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Thinking about it, I suppose the dogs run them out; but, the hunters then go there and run them back.

But, deer population is relatively high and dog running is a way of life.

Yankees come here and don't like it
    me, I do not hunt deer on purpose; so, I don't mind the dogs.
    Besides the dogs have put deer in front of me on occasion.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,323 Senior Member
    Don't be shooting no one's dog. Which presumably they love dearly. Just my advice, echoing Rich's. You can go to jail for such a thing and lose your gun and hunting privileges. Hunting should not make the Daily News, which you'll do if you kill someone's Fido. Someone about 10 years ago shot a dog with an arrow near Atlanta and it made the papers big time. Hearts bled.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    That was just a hypothetical scenario (or I'd say an educated guess). That is kind of what I meant about being a lynch mob. No one knows the hunters story, and they don't care. They just want him dead.

I related it to a similar experience that I had several years ago where I was filming two young bucks frolicking around on a greenfield on our lease when they started getting fidgety about a trail leading into the field and I expected to see a hog emerge from the trail but it was a mastif mix that belonged to a house near the gate to the property. He was trotting and right on the heels of the deer that ran off. That particular field was one where we took kids and guests as it was a sure thing to see spikes and does. Back at the camp, a few other members mentioned having that same dog chase deer off the field in the past and they didn't want to shoot it in front of their kids. The very next time I sat there, I saw him again doing the same thing and that was the last time he chased deer on our lease. I checked it on Google earth and he was 600yds through some thick woods onto our property. Two years later, much larger deer were being seen on that part of the property and I'm fairly sure that dog was the reason that only spikes and does were ever seen on that field.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Don't be shooting no one's dog. Which presumably they love dearly. Just my advice, echoing Rich's. You can go to jail for such a thing and lose your gun and hunting privileges. Hunting should not make the Daily News, which you'll do if you kill someone's Fido. Someone about 10 years ago shot a dog with an arrow near Atlanta and it made the papers big time. Hearts bled.

That's just it. Where I come from, and the people I hunted with, if their dog ran deer they would shoot it themselves. Many beagle owners used the three strike rule.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson