Cold, wet hunt

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,729 Senior Member
40-49 degrees, cold blowing rain squalls interspace with drizzle, muck and mud.

I had a great time watching the deer, and thinking "if it was a little dryer... You would be in my freezer"

Heading back out in a few, once I get the camo out of the dryer
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,617 Senior Member
    What'cha using?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    About the same conditions here. Tag me a doe, there hasn't been anything moving yet.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    What'cha using?

DPMS 308 this morning. Now, 454 Casull
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zapped that same deer from yesterday morning this morning with the CVA Scout Pistol in .243. That thing is, again, a death ray. Head shot at about 70 yards. No science, in the left side of the brain pan, out the neck. Course, it was not raining the whole morning... Until I shot this cull buck. One I got him hanging up in the tree, it came down in buckets. I was soaked, cold, tired, and happy. He was pretty big, about 2.5 years old, and a 5 point. 3 on one side, two on the other, and almost looked like pronghorn antlers

Pics in a little bit
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    :applause:
    Promised picture:

Yep, I could have done better pictures. But it was cold, wet, and I needed to get this guy taken apart ASAP and get back home and help with a sick family. I did get a great picture of his rack on one of the game cameras and will get that uploaded in a minute
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,849 Senior Member
    Congrats Bullsi :up:
    :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Wild rack!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Cold and wet ends up good sometimes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Here is the pic where you can see how goofy his rack was. We are still trying to cull out a lot of bad genetics from decades of poor and completely missing herd management. We are starting to get some REALLY nice animals on the cameras, but there still is a lot of work to do:

Head on (as you can see in the first post) it almost looked like his momma had been messing around with a pronghorn
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Still a good deer for the pot.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Oh, and lesson learned: When you have had 2.5-3" of rain, DON'T headshoot a deer when it is standing in a mud hole under the feeder.

If you have ever done much headshooting, you know how they can thrash about a whole lot as the neural circuits short out. Well, his other side was COMPLETELY coated in about 2" of mud that was studded with rocks, grass, corn, and other assorted junk. Took me 5 minutes with a hose to get him to the point I could skin him out
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Congrats Bullsi :up:
    :worthy:

Thanks!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    early wrote: »
    Cold and wet ends up good sometimes.

Yeah, it does. And sometimes, it feels good to go out and do something when the conditions are not ideal just to be out there when everyone else is playing it safe and staying in bed
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    NN wrote: »
    Still a good deer for the pot.

Absolutely. I'm just a bit bummed that I'm out of buck tags (this county is a 2 buck county) when there is a just awesome 8 point coming into my feeder that I really want to take.

However... my wife just may have to buy a license and come out hunting with me now :devil:
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Here is the 'Big 8' I was hoping to see this time out. Maybe next weekend...

-Mikhail Kalashnikov
    That's a BEAST!!!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    Good for you on the kill
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Here is the pic where you can see how goofy his rack was. We are still trying to cull out a lot of bad genetics from decades of poor and completely missing herd management. We are starting to get some REALLY nice animals on the cameras, but there still is a lot of work to do:

Head on (as you can see in the first post) it almost looked like his momma had been messing around with a pronghorn

You Suck Bad too. Yeah I'm a spoiled sport because I have no deer yet. Damn warm weather here this year and a bumper acorn crop has em stove up in the thick brush. Doe season is over here and we're under the 13" Spread law. So unless I just happen to run into some of what I was seeing in the game cam I'm probably meatless this year. I may luck out in ML season. I usually see at least one or two trophies then.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,849 Senior Member

However... my wife just may have to buy a license and come out hunting with me now :devil:
    :up: :rotflmao:

In a few years, baby bullsi can go too :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    It is popular not to tag em in some hunting clubs or use another's tag if they think the GW is in the area.

Somebody will see him an get on the radio.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,350 Senior Member
    Very nice work! Yeah, that mud though...doesn't sound like a party, but glad to see you score regardless.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Here is the 'Big 8' I was hoping to see this time out. Maybe next weekend...
    \

You were just commenting that the herd management has been ignored for a while. He looks like a fine specimen to continue to propagate in your area... Just a thought.

He's not small, but his offspring could be "yuge!"

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: