Home Main Category Personal Defense

Is this a good deal

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,676 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    You're welcome :beer:

You can find it even cheaper a few other places (even Amazon) but most of them don't include the sheath. On amazon, at least, when you add the sheath the price is pretty much the same as the link I posted.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,332 Senior Member
    Since when is a K-Bar a "U.S. Army Fighting Knife"? Did the Army change it's TO&E?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Since when is a K-Bar a "U.S. Army Fighting Knife"? Did the Army change it's TO&E?

I was gonna say, because I bought a K-Bar at the 1990 Shot Show from some outfit pushing their cutlery. It said it was a Marine Fighting knife.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    We had K-bars
    I did not like em.

Others did not either, they went out and bought Buck Knives.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,384 Senior Member
    M-9 Bayonet was the only knife I was ever issued. There used to be a smaller knife (Survival Knife) but I was never issued one.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,076 Senior Member
    When I was in VN, you had to bring your own knife. I had a Western hunting knife which was good. Not a fighting knife, just a knife, but then I never did any knife fighting. I took a Gerber combat knife over, the one with the angle slanted blade (if you know what I mean; they don't make them since long ago) but broke the guard off it trying to throw it. Some guys brought Buck knives and a couple had Buck Bowie knives, which were heavy. We got trades for K Bar knives and I carried one after I lost my Western, but they were USMC issued knives and our supply sgt. got them. And the Air Force pilot's survival knives, which were OK but not as cool as the K Bars.

I don't like serrated blades and wouldn't buy the one in the link. But that's my preference from my days when we didn't have nylon seat belt material to slice through.

After I lost my Western and broke my Gerber, which was pretty useless as a knife anyway, I sent home to my mom for a knife to carry. She consulted with my brother and they sent me a Sykes Fairburn knife, which was pretty useless, too. I think I should have been more explicit in my needs.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,332 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    M-9 Bayonet was the only knife I was ever issued. There used to be a smaller knife (Survival Knife) but I was never issued one.

The smaller knife was an Air Force issue item....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The smaller knife was an Air Force issue item....

Yes. Leather handle, about a 4" blade, hammer-handle end for driving stakes (I guess) and a saw back for cutting through aircraft aluminum. The guard had two holes drilled in it I guess to secure it to the sheath. It had a carborondum stone in a pouch on the sheath. Camillus made.
    AF Survival knife. 5" blade and the holes in the guard were supposedly for making a spear
    https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Force-Survival-Knife-Black/dp/B001CZDQPI

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    The aviators survival knife they put in our flight vests was a piece of junk; maybe the one your thinking about.
    The survival knives we had, which were the issued ones, were good knives. We didn't hold them in high regard back then because most 20 year olds don't know how to sharpen a knife, but after I learned how later in life (and they were Ontario, not Camillus) they were good utilitarian knives. Certainly not Randalls, but as good as a K Bar, just shaped for a different purpose.

I heard the story about the holes in the guard for a spear, and IIRC, they came with a length of cord. I guess you could make a spear with one but I don't see how the holes in the guard would make that any easier. I'd like to see it demonstrated.
    Gene L wrote: »

I heard the story about the holes in the guard for a spear, and IIRC, they came with a length of cord. I guess you could make a spear with one but I don't see how the holes in the guard would make that any easier. I'd like to see it demonstrated.
    I've thought about it, and all I can think of, is it's a place to start the cord when you're securing it to the end of a stick. Which is why I said "supposedly" when I first mentioned it.

I've long since lost the one I had as a teen, so I can't try it and see.

• danielrob2015danielrob2015 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    I have purchased several knives on Amazon and got a couple of counterfeits. I would not buy an expensive knife on Amazon. I have read where over 60% of the knives sold on Amazon are fakes. I know I have bought a couple.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    According to my SEA survival school instructor, the "spear" idea was supposed to be for harvesting animals for food, not for defense purposes. In reality, if the search and rescue guys didn't find us quickly we were probably going to be captured, dead, or both in very short order- - - -not much time for getting hungry! Spearing fish from a one-man life raft- - - - -that would be a really stupid idea even if there was something handy to make a handle out of!
    Jerry
    I have purchased several knives on Amazon and got a couple of counterfeits. I would not buy an expensive knife on Amazon. I have read where over 60% of the knives sold on Amazon are fakes. I know I have bought a couple.
    Like to provide a source?

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    One-shot wonder, apparently. That username was banned on at least one forum I found.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    One-shot wonder, apparently.
    Yep, kinda figured as much