What cartridge most impressed you on deer size game?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,803 Senior Member
By far it is my .270 Win. It's a DRT affair. I have killed more deer with it than with anything else. But another that impressed me which I have only taken one deer with so far, is my 9.3x62 Mauser. The one deer I killed with it made me a believer. That deer required Zero Tracking. It put it down right where it stood. It knocked it out of its shoes so to speak, DRT, Grave Yard Dead!, right where it was standing. You can't argue with performance like that.

And although I hit it with a .270 Grain Speer Bullet, it destroyed minimal meat.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Ive only shot two deer in my life. One with a Deerfield carbine 44mag and one with 50 cal Hawken cap-lock. Both went down hard and fast.

Elk are a little different.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    I have used so many and so many work great, I don't have a pick...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    .30-06
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I have used so many and so many work great, I don't have a pick...

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,490 Senior Member
    For me it would be a toss up between the .358 with the 225 Sierra BT and the 06 with a 180 Rem. Bronze Point.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    If I go purely on bullet size/terminal effect ratio, it's the .243 Win.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »

This sums it up for me as well. Second place would be my old .270 and .308
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    That impressed me as in "Didnt think that would happen"?

25-06. 100gr bullet from that thing removed any doubt as to why they are sought after. Never did I think that the deertopsy would be that different than a 100gr out of a 243.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,543 Senior Member
    I've taken quite a few deer with quite a few different cartridges but the one that impressed me the most was the .264win mag. I've taken lot's of deer that were DRT but I've never seen a round completely turn everything in the chest cavity into pudding like that. In the early 80's I was hunting with a friend in Wisconsin and I helped him dress a deer that he took with a chest shot at about 75yds and none of the internals were recognizable. I had never seen anything do that to a deer before.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    My .30-06 Mauser with 130 grain Hornady spire points at 3100 FPS has been the most consistent bang/flop round I've ever used- - - -at least 25 deer over the past 30 years, and the furthest I've had to track/chase one was 30 yards after a gut shot. It just stood there unable to move any further and took a finishing shot. The rest mostly dropped in their tracks or made one jump before going down. The shots have been from powder burn range to 300+ yards- - - -same results.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    My .50 inline shooting .45 sabots over 110 gr Blackhorn 209. My .30-30 was a bang/flop as well.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    .30-06 with 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip has turned everything to jelly, pretty much, on my last three deer.

The cartridge that surprised me the most was a 55 grain .223 Barnes Triple Shock factory load. My 7 yo grandson shot a small buck with one (at 50 yards), and the wound was devastating.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    Why, the venerable .270, of course. :jester:

I've taken deer with chamberings from .243 Winchester up to 7mm mag, and not a one of them was any deader than the other when it was all said and done.

[ETA] To add to this, in my humble opinion, it's not a matter of what you hit 'em with, but where you hit 'em and the bullet you use.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    I like hunting deer over green winter wheat fields, ranges tend to be a bit longish....I've used my .300 Win Mag with both 165 grain SSTs and the 208 grain A Max out to near 500 yards. Both bullets performed admirably with DRT results....

For a stalking rifle, I'd have to say that my 6.8 SPC with 110 grain BTHP bullets has been a solid performer....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Why, the venerable .270, of course. :jester:

I've taken deer with chamberings from .243 Winchester up to 7mm mag, and not a one of them was any deader than the other when it was all said and done.

[ETA] To add to this, in my humble opinion, it's not a matter of what you hit 'em with, but where you hit 'em and the bullet you use.

Yeah, the only one that will make them deader is the .270, why else would I use it?

Oh hell, there i've done it again! The Devil made me say it!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    :agree:
    Six-Gun wrote: »

I'm with Luis, my Remington model 700 BDL .243 has harvested 36 deer and 3 hogs. I load 100 grain Nosler Partitions over 37 grains of H1000. Only one hog and one deer did not fall DRT. The deer ran about a 30 yard circle and returned to fall almost where it was shot and the hog ran about 50 yards with a hole the size of a quarter through its heart. Keep yer powder dry........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    :agree:

I'm with Luis, my Remington model 700 BDL .243 has harvested 36 deer and 3 hogs. I load 100 grain Nosler Partitions over 37 grains of H1000. Only one hog and one deer did not fall DRT. The deer ran about a 30 yard circle and returned to fall almost where it was shot and the hog ran about 50 yards with a hole the size of a quarter through its heart. Keep yer powder dry........robin
    It's an amazing little round. On paper, the .243 Win has no business killing as well as it does...but it does. I have never needed a follow-up shot with it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    Taken more deer with a 30/06 than anything else. Most impressive effect has been 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    Taken more deer with a 30/06 than anything else. Most impressive effect has been 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only center fire rifle my dad ever owned was a Savage M110 chambered in 30-06. My mom surprised him with it for Christmas in 1961. I was 10 years old at the time, and was let in on the plan after being sworn to secrecy. At that time, I just knew that the 30-30 was a much more powerful cartridge, and was disappointed in my Mom's choice (she was advised by his cousin). Before Christmas, as discretely as I was able, I asked him if the 06 was as powerful as the 30-30. I was elated when he explained that the 06 was much more powerful than the 30-30.

The gun came with a cheap Western Field 4x scope that had short eye relief. I still remember the first time he shot it. It was at my grandfather's farm. When he touched off the first round, I couldn't believe how loud it was. I also was quiet surprised that the scope got him and bloodied his forehead. Funny how some things stick with one like it was yesterday.

He hunted with that rifle until he was in his 70s. Every deer he killed except one was taken with that rifle, as well as his only bull elk and a few javelina. The last deer he killed was a 150 inch mule deer he shot in Colorado.

He's gone now, and I am the proud owner of the gun. I will pass it down to my son as soon as I can make arrangements to get it to him.

He reloaded, and used 150 grain speer plain-Jane bullets. If he did his part, they did theirs.

I've never even hunted with an 06, and only shot my dad's gun once. All things considered, though, it's hard to argue with how good a hunting round it is.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    It would have to be the 45grSp Hornady factory load I use in my 204.

The Buck I shot at 214 yds only ran 20yds before going bellyup and dying. ( Quartering away shot with the impact point being just behind the right shoulder).
    That little bullet punches well above its weight. So far this year I have shot 7 or 8 deer ( does bucks and spikers) with it. The only one that didnt drop on the spot was the buck above.

Once again though, it relies on bullet placement and knowing the anatomy of the animal concerned to the point that you know where to place it at the differing angles that will allow it to do its job. That and the fact that it is very flat shooting and accurate.

Thats the cartridge that most impressed me on deer.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    My Kimber 7mm-08, I'm so confident on the round and platform that I would actually consider it if I was going after Grizzly bear.

Orchidman 'Likes' this............:tooth:

( The 7mm08 is my second equal favorite cartridge along with the 222 Rem)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....