This 'wulf's "bite" is worse than its "bark" (a little science)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,945 Senior Member
Wife and I went hunting this afternoon. Since the winter rye I planted a couple of weeks ago has started coming up, figured we'd start seeing deer again. Swapped out cards in the game cams last night, after neither of us saw anything. Saw 3 does on the "Swag" cam from three days ago (the batteries had died) and still nothing on the "Hay Barn" camera.

Wife said she wanted to hunt the swag, since she hasn't seen one this season. Since I'd prefer her to kill one than me, I whole heartedly agreed.

Well, LITERALLY with 2 minutes of legal shooting time left, I looked through the Sightron 4x32 , and think, "that sage grass looks like a deer in this low light" then it takes a step. "Oh crap, that is a deer" Flip the safety, hold just behind the front shoulder and send a 335gr Rainier HP down range (93 yards +/- 2, previously lased)

Doe flops over, front legs paw the ground twice and all is still.

Walked up to her and had hit her a little further back than I intended, the dark blood indicating a liver hit.

Went and got the truck and drove up to her, wife and I loaded her on my rack and to the processor we went.
20161211_182610_zpsykw6adey.jpg

Since they weren't busy, I stuck around while he skinned and gutted her. I hit the last rib on the way in, and the second to last rib coming out (Another poor shot on my part :cuss: )

Here's the exit wound
20161211_183954_zpsuhph9psk.jpg

And it's hard to tell in this pic, but it's of the "blown apart" liver
20161211_184136_zpsrjava85q.jpg

Once again, that 50 Beowulf/335 Rainier combo lives up to its "I'm really not in the mood to track a deer today" reputation.

Sightron discontinued that compact fixed 4x a few years ago, I WISH I'd have picked up a couple of more before they did :tissue:

edited to change the yardage
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,945 Senior Member
    So, 1 with a 223, and one each with Grendel & Beowulf :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nice work Paul, got a good year going for your freezer!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    Nice work Paul, got a good year going for your freezer!
    Thank you, my friend. :beer:
    I just wish the Mrs. could get her a couple.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Good shot!
    I just finished loading some Rainier bullets yesterday.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    Good shot!
    I just finished loading some Rainier bullets yesterday.
    Thanks, wasn't the shot I wanted, but it dropped her on the spot.

I've only killed deer with them in the 'wulf, but have never had them fail to drop a deer in their tracks.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,737 Senior Member
    The liver is a blood rich environment. The most of all the organs for it's size.

It'll do the job in short order.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Here's an old google maps pic. she was standing JUST at the edge of the field about where the line is
    Haybarn2.jpg

For the last few years, I've enlarged the area I plant to cover the entire cleared area infront of the haybarn, and along the right side to the back of the barn. The terrain drops off at the back of the barn, and I can park my truck at the woodline, and you can't see it from the shooting house

Zee wrote: »
    The liver is a blood rich environment. The most of all the organs for it's size.

It'll do the job in short order.
    Yessir, it is. And when slammed by that soft, plated HP, it exploded.

I've yet to have to track a deer hit by the 'wulf.
    And I don't believe TimC's has had to either. According to him, he "stole" my load and according to me, he couldn't have stolen it, since I willingly gave it to him (36.2gr Li'l gun {as opposed to Alexander Arms' suggested 37.7gr}, 335 Rainier plated, AA case and I use CCI magnum large pistol primers, I'm unsure what Tim uses)

Yes, it's a rifle round, but the man what designed it says use magnum pistol primers, so I use them.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,737 Senior Member
    One of these days I'll have a 50 something. Most likely a .500 S&W as I have the brass. Just gotta find the right platform that tickles me proper.

A .50 is the one hole in my collection of cartridges that I long for.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,726 Senior Member
    Good going Paul
    Going to have to give that wulf a try sometime
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee wrote: »
    One of these days I'll have a 50 something. Most likely a .500 S&W as I have the brass. Just gotta find the right platform that tickles me proper.

A .50 is the one hole in my collection of cartridges that I long for.
    Tim and I have both tried the Hornady FTX, and after his field report, we both went back to the Rainiers.

Ballistically, the 'wulf, from my 16" barrel is pretty much equal to the 500S&W from one of their revolvers. Factory 37.7gr load is rated @ 1900fps, my backed-off averages 1812fps from my barrel and my lot# of Li'l gun

Diver43 wrote: »
    Good going Paul
    Going to have to give that wulf a try sometime
    If I have time, I'll load up some and bring it to Jerry's next year.

Last time I did, Vic shot up most of the ammo. He was having a BLAST with it.

Edited to correct my poor manners: and Thank you!

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    Last 2 minutes of light at 92 yards? Not bad at all! Just seeing a deer through your scope at that time of day at that distance is quite a test for both the scope and your eyes. Good job!
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Last 2 minutes of light at 92 yards? Not bad at all! Just seeing a deer through your scope at that time of day at that distance is quite a test for both the scope and your eyes. Good job!
    Thank you.
    That's why I wish I'd picked up a couple of more of those compact 4x Sightrons before they discontinued them.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,335 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Can't do it :nono:
    I've refused to buy a Leupy for years, for personal reasons, and none of them have changed

DARN, I searched and saw a result from Optics planet, so I HOPED they'd started making them again
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-4x32mm-riflescope-sii4x32.html

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with a thing ya did. Deer went right down and there was no tracking. Very nice!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a thing ya did. Deer went right down and there was no tracking. Very nice!
    Thank you, my friend :beer:

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    I agree with sixgun. :applause: Your freezer must be getting full by now Paul.

I still reckon you should build a turret in the centre of the barn which will give you a 360 deg field of view........Something small, say 20'x 20' with a couch, cooker, sat dish/tv, ............and a beer fridge.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thank you my friend :beer:

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Deer down=Meat in the freezer...Good for you.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Deer down=Meat in the freezer...Good for you.
    Thank you sir :beer:

Going to make some smoked jerky from this one

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Very nice work, and a great writeup to boot! Thanks for sharing!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Well Paul you got me thinking about my Wulf. She hasn't seen daylight in a while, might be time to drag her out and blow the dust out the barrel!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Thank you Bobby and you're welcome :beer:

Tim, I hate to say it but it had been 2 or 3 years (or more :yikes: ) since the last time I touched off a round in mine.

After the first 4-5 years of it being zeroed every time I checked it, I quit bothering. I found a bullet with a crack in the plating in the loaded mag in the safe, so I moved it to the top of the stack and used it on her.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,604 Senior Member
    Very nice, good shot for fading light and a few nerves. Congrats!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Thank you :beer:

For the record, I am SO glad Alabama does have the restrictions some of y'all have to hunt with.

I could see the body and reticle well enough for the shot, but if it would have had antler or sex restrictions, I couldn't have taken the shot. Even with the 3/4 moon helping, I wasn't sure if it was a small racked buck, or a doe until she was on the ground.

My only restrictions are 3 bucks a season, unlimited does, 1 of the 3 bucks must have 4 points on one side and only 1 buck and 1 doe per day