What would YOU do (bobcat cub in your stand)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,841 Senior Member
Me? AFTER I probably screamed like a girl, I'd try and shoo it out, even going so far as poking it with an arrow to get it to leave.

http://abc3340.com/news/offbeat/siouxland-deer-hunter-bags-something-more-rare-than-a-big-buck

As Jerry Clower said in one of his famous stories, "Just shoot up in amongst us, one of us has gots to have some relief"
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Ive never hunted from a stand, but just like anyone else, Id vacate the stand immediately. It seems to be a completely singular option.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Ive never hunted from a stand, but just like anyone else, Id vacate the stand immediately. It seems to be a completely singular option.
    Well, this guy apparently stuck around. I didn't see any resolution to the situation in the link I posted :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Well, this guy apparently stuck around. I didn't see any resolution to the situation in the link I posted :uhm:

I once observed people photographing an on coming tornado with their phones too :head:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I'd be lookin' out for Mama!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I'd be lookin' out for Mama!
    Guy said she was on the ground under him, and the cubs/kittens or whatever the proper name for bobcat young is were using his ladder like a set of monkey bars

edited to add: they are called kittens

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    Given a choice of staying put or climbing down and maybe tangling with Mama protecting her kits- - - - -I'd be prone to freeze in place!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Me? AFTER I probably screamed like a girl, I'd try and shoo it out, even going so far as poking it with an arrow to get it to leave.

http://abc3340.com/news/offbeat/siouxland-deer-hunter-bags-something-more-rare-than-a-big-buck

As Jerry Clower said in one of his famous stories, "Just shoot up in amongst us, one of us has gots to have some relief"

That would have been Mr. John Eubanks, a great American!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AX9QoFhEhI

All the hoopla and BS and arguments on this forum aside, this is classic Americana. Nobody has ever topped Jerry Clower. He is truly the best!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    Being no stranger to cat scratches, I'd probably let them play with my shoelaces.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,650 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Given a choice of staying put or climbing down and maybe tangling with Mama protecting her kits- - - - -I'd be prone to freeze in place!
    Jerry

Me, too...with the option of a carefully planned 'swift kick,' if the kitten wasn't looking at me and got too close to the edge.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,724 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

This. And film it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,811 Senior Member
    A few years ago, I had a mama and 4 kittens.walk up on me while I was sitting on the ground deer hunting. Mama walked within 6 ft of me, trying to figure out what I was. I started to move to see what she would do. I then thought about the kittens and.decided.i better not scare.her. I did not want a lap.full of angry mama bobcat. After several minutes they just trotted off.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,581 Senior Member
    Well to be honest I really think he was just wanting to play. Dangling something for him/her like your drag line could have worked. Better yet you could have at least entertained him a bit and played "just how sharp are your claws"! Usually this is done while making the bed and the cat or dog gets in between the sheets and chases your hand as you move it back and fourth. This usually gives you and idea how sharp their claws and teeth are. You could have improvised and used your coat.

Oh well maybe next time, but if you do please attach the video...with sound!

Besides being startled that's pretty cool wish you would have taken some pics!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff in TX wrote: »

Besides being startled that's pretty cool wish you would have taken some pics!
    OH NO, it wasn't me, The link was to a news story out of Iowa

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,581 Senior Member
    OH NO, it wasn't me, The link was to a news story out of Iowa

My bad I missed the link as I was reading everyone's responses!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    My bad I missed the link as I was reading everyone's responses!
    No worries :beer:
    Just wanted to clarify it wasn't me :up:

My closest encounter was one sneaking by me about 10 feet away from my ground blind just as it got light enough to tell what it was , shooting at it with my 7x57, clipping a little belly hair off of it and laughing as it jumped 4+ feet straight up and did its best impersonation of knowing how to fly.

When it finally hit the ground, it was moving so fast I'm not sure it ever stopped.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    There are times when it could be amusing to have a Cougar in the stand...........a Bobcat, not so much.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    I'd be tempted to put it in my pocket and make it a pet...love cats! At Ardastra Gardens, a small zoo in Nassau, they had an ocelot, and the fence material for the cage was large enough for me to reach in and pet it. It would roll onto it's back and let me rub it's tummy, then snap at me...I've had enough cats over thee years to know when to pull away. Wife and I spent about an hour with that ****.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,681 Senior Member
    Would probably be my first pet cat!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Probably poop a little, then try to get some video.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I guess since he's stuck, he could try shoo kitty! Shoo kitty!

Orchidman has a better idea with the cougar :love:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,451 Senior Member
    Stay quiet, record video (If possible) and enjoy the show
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin