Culled the injured spike buck

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,604 Senior Member
Went to my Side Road stand this afternoon to see if I get a look and shot on the injured spike. He hobbled in at 4:45 this evening, not able to put weight on the injured leg and limping on both back legs. Actually it looked as though the front leg was dangling. It was a 153 yard shot and he ran maybe 15 yards. This deer was hit by a car. He had large scabs on the inside of his back legs and his front shoulder was broken. When I went to gut him he was abbessed and infected on the inside. He was a mess and wouldn't have lasted many more days. Sorry gang I left him for the coyotes.

The saving grace he isn't suffering any longer, it was a quick clean kill and he's out of the jean pool!

[URL=http://smg
deera.jpg
.photobucket.com/user/jharmon23/media/deerb.jpg.html]deerb.jpg[/URL]
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Sorry gang I left him for the coyotes.
    No need to apologize IMO.

That wasn't a "hunting" kill, that was a mercy killing.
    Good on you for putting him out of his misery. I'm certain the bullet was a LOT more humane than being caught and killed by coyotes, or dying from the infection

I've done the same to a deer that had been shot with a massive infected wound
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    You did him a favor, I've done the same for a lot of Javalina I've seen come limping into the feeders.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Wildlife management. I would not even call it a cull it was compassion and humane.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Good job
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,595 Senior Member
    s-l300.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    On a related note, that first pic shows what appears to be the entry wound from your shot. If it is, Nice shooting :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Did him a favor 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,604 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    On a related note, that first pic shows what appears to be the entry wound from your shot. If it is, Nice shooting :up:

Thanks, relatively short shot with a steady rest and accurate rifle. Just glad he dropped quickly!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,379 Senior Member
    You did the right thing on all fronts, Jeff. That deer was headed for a far worse end.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Thanks, relatively short shot with a steady rest and accurate rifle. Just glad he dropped quickly!
    A "Short shot" for you equals my longest ever shot on game. The vast majority of mine have been <75 yards
    Agree on being glad it was a quickly effective

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,734 Senior Member
    Well done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    I've done the same with an injured deer. Good job
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    :up:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,725 Senior Member
    Good going Jeff, glad you found him
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5