Tracking or DRT ?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,672 Senior Member
Another thread got me to thinking about the last six deer I've killed and whether or not they dropped on the spot, or I had to track them

They're evenly split between 3 DRT & 3 tracked.

50 Beowulf - DRT (334 Rainier HP + poor shot placement)
6.5 Grendel - tracked (120 Nosler BT + poor shot placement) ~100 yards
223 - tracked (64gr Nosler Bonded) quartering towards ~ 30 yards
6.5 Grendel - DRT (123 A-max)
30-06 - Tracked (208 A-max) >200 yards
30-06 - DRT (150 Rem CoreLokt)

The bottom 3 were all broadside, hit behind the front shoulder. from 20-75 yards away
The other three have the approximate distance I had to track them .

So, how did your last few deer fall?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,486 Senior Member
    The first buck I killed needed tracking, but it was easy, and done by someone else. Other than that, I can't think of a single deer that I've shot that I had to track. The same goes for elk. They either dropped/stopped in their track, or ran just a little ways and I or someone else saw them drop.

I have had to look for a couple of antelope. That was because they ran out of sight just after I shot, and I had to look for them. Fortunately, in the open country they inhabit, it was more a case of just looking for them than doing any tracking.

I have shot at least two deer that I remember that dropped drt, but I had to look for them for 30-45 minutes due to the terrain, cover and distance. Again, I did not have to track them, as I saw them drop, but it did take a while to find them.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Maybe 60 yards is the farthest one ran, that was a .243 broadside at maybe 20 yards. The bullet came apart (either Power Point or Power Shok) and I poured her heart and lungs out. The others vary from straight down to ~30 yards.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,672 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That whole slow and heavy thing has never really played well with me... :uhm:
    The 'wulf's never required tracking, even with marginal shot placement on a couple of them
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    This season:

Boy's Buck: Ran 137 yards with no heart (.243 Win).
    Doe 1: Dropped with head shot (.243 Win).
    Doe 2: Ran 28 yards with severed carotid (.260 Rem).
    Doe 3: Ran 90 yards with lung shot (.357 Mag).

Last Hog: Ran 50ish yards with lung shot (.40 S&W).
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,492 Senior Member
    The biggest majority of deer were either DRT or no more then 30 yds. out, the last deer I killed in Colorado was taken with an 06 and 180 Hornady Superformance Interbond, he went over 100yds, upon gutting him the shot was good took out the front shoulder , heart, and both lungs, massive blood trail, I did everything right the bullet did its job, this was obviously super deer and just didn't know he was dead.

On larger game the only one that was DRT was an elk, maybe 150 yds. out using a 30-338 with a 200gr. Sierra GK.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    I'm talking SLOW and HEAVY lead like shotgun slugs and big heavy lead pistol rounds...
    Okay, I was thinking about modern sabot slugs, most of which use .50" bullets and have a similar velocity to the 'wulf

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    In the last 10 years, I've had two deer run about 25-35 yards...everything else went down where they stood...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I'm seeing a difference in terrain here.

A deer making it 30+ yards here, you're basically tracking. Most of the time, you ARE NOT going to see it go down.

On the Grendel deer that made it ~100 yards, I found the first blood where it went in the woodline MAYBE 40 yards from where I shot it. Since it was getting dark, I went back the next day to see if I could back-track it to where I shot it. Starting at the first blood I found at the edge of the woods, the night before, I searched for nearly an hour and never found a previous spot of blood, even with a thumb sized hole coming out the lower 1/4 of the off-side shoulder.

If I hadn't had that that 40 yards of clear field for him to run through first, I'd have had a difficult time tracking him. The 223 deer had no blood trail at all, that I found. I just tracked him by following the disturbed leaves until I saw him at the base of a tree he ran into as he fell. (also had no exit wound)

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The September elk I shot ran off just like all others excepting spine hits. The remaining group ran past me back lit by the sun but on the other side of a screen of pines. The resulting image ressembled black silhouettes and distracted my attention. Where normally I would go directly to the place of impact and track, I focused on the departing elk. As a result I had to return to my fireing location, relocate the place of impact and track for what turned out to be 20 feet or so. The elk had completely expired.

The above is similar to all elk me or my Dad have shot with the distance ran varying no more than 30 yards, whether 50 cal lead slug or 30 cal cup & core centerfire, excepting spine hits. In my experience a good lung shot works consistently, although some tracking is normal.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    I have killed deer with .30-06 and .308, only. I have never had one go more than about 40 yards. The last three were identical POI hits, from 60-118 yards. One DRT, one 10 yard jump, and one 40 yard run (from the smallest of the three). The only deer I have trailed were shot by someone else. Of course, I've let a lot of deer walk because I didn't like the shot.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Okay, I was thinking about modern sabot slugs, most of which use .50" bullets and have a similar velocity to the 'wulf
    I've never had to track anything that was shot with my .270, .280, OR my 06.They're fast enough the have that Hydrastatic Shock that Zee talks about. Also my .257 Improved. The only reason I had to track a deer last year was I hit it in the ham. The only reason it died was I hit a main artery and she bled out in about 40 yards. There was blood sprayed all along where she ran. But other than that, it knocks em dead. That's a 115 grain Combined Technologies bullet at 3000 FPS MV.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    The wolf is faster than a 12 ga slug and it's a sledgehammer, plus it uses modern well engineered expanding bullets. I'm talking SLOW and HEAVY lead like shotgun slugs and big heavy lead pistol rounds... That's why in Zee's experiments I'm super interested on the performance of the 155s vs the 180s in .40 S&W And why I was REALLY interested in .357 SIG as a hog killer. Also why my 1911s are loaded with 180 gr HPs when I go outside the wire.

I also don't like round nose 180gr 30-06 or the same configuration of 170gr. 30-30s and so on. I think those bullets (specially on broadside lung shots) just go through game causing minimum internal damage and I've had to track a few deer for a long distance for a buddy of mine who insisted they were the best for deer class game.

My son killed a doe with my 30-30 and Winchester ammo that did just that: went straight through with no expansion. Didn't leave a single.drop of blood. Luckily I walked up on her about.40 yds later.

He later shot a buck that we never found. I found a little blood and a small bit a tissue where he was shot before he ran into some reset pines. Never saw anymore blood.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    I always thought bigger was better until I shot some deer with the exception of a 12 ga slug, they produced DRT.

180 gr corlok, killed; but, the deer had to be found except once; 125 gr .30-06---DRT

12 ga 00 buck ----some DRT most had to be found.

Smaller 12 ga pellets DRT----maybe because of being close, very close.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    My very first deer was a DRT with an inline muzzleloader. Over the years, the vast majority were DRT. I can think of only one that actually died "within sight" but that I could not see go down because it crested a hill and died behind a bush. Hardly a true tracking job, but it do go about 40 yards out of view and I did have to follow blood.

Some I can recall from recent years...
    - Whitetail doe with a 12 GA slug - DRT
    - Whitetail buck with a 7mm-08 - DRT (on second shot, after hitting him low in the leg due to rangefinder spoofing on grass)
    - Whitetail doe with .243 - short dash of ~60 yards, dead within sight
    - Mule deer buck with .243 - DRT
    - Antelope buck with a .243 Win - DRT
    - Antelope doe with a .284 Win - short dash of ~40 yards, dead within sight
    - Cow elk with 7mm WSM - DRT
    - Whitetail doe with .50 cal inline muzzleloader - short dash of ~60 yards, dead within sight
    - Whitetail spike buck with .54 cal flintlock - DRT
    - Whitetail does (x2) - one DRT, the other took a follow-up shot and died within sight

Of course, I have done a lot of archery hunting in the past few years, and the vast majority of those *are* tracking jobs. Only 2 were spine shot and went down on the spot. The others all required tracking of 70 yards or further, which I don't mind. It keeps me sharp should the need ever arise in a gun situation.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    The last one went down went down right there, looked dead; so, I shot it with a Ruger Redhawk .44mag at the base of the head and neck.
    The whole deer kicked an inch or two off the ground
    I guess it was not DRT yet.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.