Challenged by my bull on my deer hunt

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,548 Senior Member
I finished up my conference call a bit late this afternoon and had about an hour so of daylight to hunt. I grabbed my single seat portable popup blind and headed to the stand near the house. Within five minutes or so I was on stand. I was on stand for only a few minutes before my cows show up. They fed at the feeder for 10 minutes or so and started to wonder off except for my bull Bubba. He turned and stare at my blind! For some reason he didn't like and moved closer to within five yards or so. He began to moo at me with tone that wasn't his normal, actually it was a very stressful moo. He moved a couple yards closer and began to stomp and kick his foot. I realized at this moment if he charges there's no way to get out of that popup blind and could run right through it crushing me in the process.

He moved off to my right so I unzipped the right window and followed him as far as i could see. No rear window but I could hear him crunching through the cactus and breaking a few branches, then quiet. Now this has become unnerving, normally he's not aggressive but he certainly didn't like the popup. All of a sudden there's a snort and deep moo directly behind my blind, close enough that his breath reverberated off the blind wall. Dang it Bubba came in silent behind me in the grass. Next thing I know he's pushing me and blind over. We rolled forward and I did my best to keep my rifle from hitting the ground hard. This is a tiny blind without any real maneuverability. As I rolled I did my best to squirrel my out onto the grass narrowly missing a large cactus that was just in from of me and to my left. I grabbed my rifle just before Bubba stepped on it. The look on Bubba's face was priceless...like where on earth did I come from.

I walked back to house mumbling "Stupid Bull"! Guess I was lucky this could have gone horribly wrong for me!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    :yikes:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Glad you didn't get bulldozed.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    Good thing he didn't mistake that blind for a cow that needed servicing! My bull had a bad habit of finding a weak spot in the fence and challenging the neighbors' bull across the road, usually with nothing but a few strands of barbed wire of their fence separating them. I'd step out in the road and sting him with some #8 birdshot from about 50 yards away, and he would find the hole he had just made in my fence and scoot back into our pasture. After awhile all I'd have to do was rack the slide on the old Ithaca pump to put him into overdrive heading home! I'm so glad we got out of the beef business!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Jeff, ya brought something I had almost forgotten about, 58 years ago I was hunting east of Rocky Bar Idaho when I saw an old range bull and he saw me, he snorted and pawed the ground, and I climbed up a large rock, he never charged , just slowly walked away. I sat on that rock for at least an hour, the thought of shooting it never entered my mind. I'll tell ya one thing, I was one scared kid.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    He must have been irritabull or irascibull. Maybe he was just uncomfortabull with your presence near his cows. Being invisibull like that when he came up behind you would be scary.

It was obviously a terribull situation to be in.

Glad you are ok. ( seriously)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Scary "schtuff" Jeff, glad you weren't hurt or your rifle damaged :angel:

I might have been tempted to break the stock on his knuckle head though :cuss:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Bulls are some of the nastiest creatures I've ever met. One of them made me do an olympic level vault over a pasture fence in Vermont while hunting. My Spanish culture does not lend itself to a friendly relationship with them...

I had a bull cause me levitate into the rafters of a scale house. Numb nuts working the squeeze shoot thought it would be funny to put the cattle prod on a big Charolais bull sack before letting the already angry creature out of the shoot while I was changing gates down the alley.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,548 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Bulls are some of the nastiest creatures I've ever met. One of them made me do an olympic level vault over a pasture fence in Vermont while hunting. My Spanish culture does not lend itself to a friendly relationship with them...

Bubba's usually pretty tame and gentle. However he just didn't like that popup blind and had no idea I was inside. The only time I really see him pissed is when the bull from across the road taunts him. I keep thinking I'm gonna come home one day to a section of fence being torn down!

Got to say y'all's stories on bull crack me up and I'm reliving a lot of childhood memories

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    We never had a bull, my Grandpa had a guy bring one to service the heifers. There was a small paddock on the side of the barn he used to hold stock for vet visits and such but it was rarely used other than that EXCEPT for breeding time. Well through that paddock was the short cut to the pond and I'd cut through the stock fence and head down. I didn't know it was breeding time and had not seen the bull but I got maybe 10 or 15 feet into the paddock and he made his move. I beat him to and thru the metal stock fence but he didn't stop quick enough so he rang that section like a gong and then rattled it a few times after. Didn't it phase him that he nailed that steel pipe fence section to the point he bent 2 of the pipes out at least 3 inches or so. He just wanted to tap dance on me.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    Heck, being a city guy I only had one interaction with a bull, and from it I can say, Glad your OK Jeff.

I was fishing and on the other side of a canal was several cows and of course one ugly bull. He was the color that I associate with pig pink if that makes any sense. Anyways he made lots of noise but he was on the other side of the canal, so I thought I was fine since I knew that the water was about 15 feet deep. Well, that day I learned that cows and bulls can swim. Not only did several cows cross the canal but that dang bull did also. As I watched I slowly back peddled to the fence and ran the last 40 or so yards. As I went over the gate I could hear him running toward me. Only thing I had in my hand was a 7 foot long very expensive fishing rod and reel that I didn't think would intimidate him in the least. Luckily he stopped at the fence and continue to bellow at me. Made me walk all the way around to the Publix parking lot and around another community to get home. Wife wanted to know why I was late for dinner and till this day laughs about my pink bull. Sure wish I had taken a picture of it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,548 Senior Member
    Meet Bubba! He stopped by the house today and came right up to me as if to say..."Until Next Time"!:drool:

Bubba.jpg

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    It is my SOP to ask all new patients about bad altercations with cattle, they ALL have a story in my neck of the woods.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    When I was living in KS we spent a whole summer watering cattle as all the water holes dried up. We had a younger angus bull that was getting to the stage in his life where he was starting to feel like a bull...When you backed up to the stock tank and got out to open the valve, he would start pawing and shaking his head...but he was still young enough to be intimidated...so if you pegged a water bottle or a hat at him and hit him in the head, he'd back off. So the day came where we were loading him to take him to the sale barn and were having some trouble getting him into the trailer. At some point, our friend Ricky had enough of his nonsense and went into the pen after him. Now Ricky is an honest to God cowboy..tougher than rawhide, seriously rough around the edges and has forgot more about cows than most people will ever know...for all that he stood about 5 foot tall (with his hat)...When Ricky squared off with that critter, the bull started pawing, shaking his head and bellowing...So Ricky whipped off his old cowboy hat and threw it at the bulls face...at which point, the bull lifted his foot and stomped Rickys hat into the mud....The game had, all of a sudden, changed....The bull went for Ricky and that old cowboy made for the closest place of refuge...the stock trailer...Ricky goes in the trailer, the bull goes in the trailer, Ricky comes out of the trailer, the bull comes out of the trailer...Ricky levitates over the eight foot fence to safety. The bull goes back to working over Rickys hat. By this time, all the goings on had drawn something of a crowd all of whom were busting a gut. The whole thing ended when a neighbor showed up with a couple of his Border Collies...who coaxed the bull into the trailer without futher difficulty or human involvement...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Sometimes, ya gotta just take a little BS, I reckon! :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!