Opinions needed for the possible new scope

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 229 Member
Hello fellow hunters!

As my rerun on hunting career started much differently than I thought I need some opinions on scopes. Now I have my old Leupold M8 6x42 scope with thick crosshair. As I was supposed to get an opportunity to shoot one deer from the stakeout I thought I'll be happy with it. But as it turned out I'll be hunting deers and moose practically every weekend in the coming season I think I need a new scope for my rifle as the 6x magnification is a bit too much for the driven hunt in the forests and fields.

Expensive Zeiss' Victorys or Coquests and Schmidt & Benders are out of the question. I simply can't afford anything like that. I have thought Zeiss Terra 3X 3-9X50 or something like MEOPTA MEOPRO 4-12X50. But how about Burris or Bushnell's models? As we are allowed to hunt in the night time I need as much light capability as possible for the money. So that means big front lense. I have to be able to shoot a deer in a snowy winter night up to 100 yards.

Any suggestions? Money is an object here so huge compromises are in order for this search I'm afraid.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    Here's my recommendation, give a look at the Leupold VX6 1X6. Not a big front objective lens but does it's job transmitting light quite nicely. I put it next to my Zeiss Conquest with both set to 4.5 power and despite not having a big objective I saw no real discernible difference in low level light transmission between either scope, not to mention without the huge front objective I saved a few ounces on weight. In addition the lower in power you turn to the better light transmission, you just give up magnification. I have it a top of my .243 win for evening and night hog hunts. I have the fire dot illuminated reticle and love this scope. I dropped the injured spike at 153 yards earlier this week with it set to 4X. Just a thought. Best of luck which ever way you decide to go and may you find which ever scope you're looking for under your Christmas tree!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,347 Senior Member
    Hello fellow hunters!

As my rerun on hunting career started much differently than I thought I need some opinions on scopes. Now I have my old Leupold M8 6x42 scope with thick crosshair. As I was supposed to get an opportunity to shoot one deer from the stakeout I thought I'll be happy with it. But as it turned out I'll be hunting deers and moose practically every weekend in the coming season I think I need a new scope for my rifle as the 6x magnification is a bit too much for the driven hunt in the forests and fields.

Expensive Zeiss' Victorys or Coquests and Schmidt & Benders are out of the question. I simply can't afford anything like that. I have thought Zeiss Terra 3X 3-9X50 or something like MEOPTA MEOPRO 4-12X50. But how about Burris or Bushnell's models? As we are allowed to hunt in the night time I need as much light capability as possible for the money. So that means big front lense. I have to be able to shoot a deer in a snowy winter night up to 100 yards.

Any suggestions? Money is an object here so huge compromises are in order for this search I'm afraid.

As night hunting is an option where you are, max light transmission for the dollar is critical, I think you are on the right track with the Zeiss Terra in whatever variable zoom you prefer (and 3-9x50mm sounds about right).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    In my experience, the Bushnells and burris scopes don't have the light gathering you need for nighttime hunting, though 40mm is the largest objective I have.

Because night hunting is allowed in Europe and Bavaria, I've always heard that European scopes usually have better light gathering.

The Zeiss or possibly a Kahles Helia C or CSX 2.5-10x50 would be my first choice for maximum low light capability
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,219 Senior Member
    I got one of these on my Ruger 77/44. It doesn't have a big objective lens, but playing around in the back yard one night, I have tried it out and it works great in the night time. 5x is plenty for shots out to 200 meters. The lower power is excellent for woods hunting. I am not sure what they cost across the pond, but for what you get, it is a great value here in the US.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362198627/leupold-vx-3i-rifle-scope-15-5x-20mm-matte
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Are flashlights legal to use at night for shining on game? If so, low light capability isnt near as important.
    If it were me, no matter what I picked the low end of the power would be 1. Likely a 1-4.
    No, artificial light is forbidden to use for dark time hunting.
    -William Blake-
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    My personal opinion is that Nikon is the best value per dollar spent in a low-light capable lens. I've compared them with the lower end Zeiss scopes and cannot see enough difference to merit the extra money for a Zeiss. Of course, Zeiss may be more competitively priced in your part of the world.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    You're in Scandanavia, right? Cheap optics are not only going to have light transmission problems, but freeze and thaw them enough, get ready for failed seals and fogging.

BETTER glass is better than BIGGER glass. Monster-sized objectives need taller mounts, which result in slower times to get your face locked into the correct position.

Sounds like you're building a short range setup, and it sounds like you'll be hunting enough that going cheap would be a fool's errand. The Leupold VX3i series will be excellent value for the price. They make a 1.5-5x with a 30mm tube that lets A LOT of light through.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    Check out the Burris XTR-II.
    Your post has made me want to check out lowlight capability with my 5-25
    4-20 or the 3-15 may be the ideal
    Sightron S-III's
    I have a VX-6 but again I haven't used it in lowlight yet
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I am a huge Leupold fan and even the low power 1.75-6 will light up your view very nicely in dark conditions but I think the king of darkness is Nikon. They can make nighttime into daylight even with their more reasonable lines.

Nikon is an interesting case. Photography is my other, part time profession, and I have always used Nikon's gear for photography. But I don't know anything about the quality of the Nikon scopes. Mechanical, optical or anything. Nothing. Are they built on Japan or China or Vietnam or where? Are they really quality scopes like Leupold? Where they stand compared to Leupold or some quality european makers?
    -William Blake-
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Nikon is an interesting case. Photography is my other, part time profession, and I have always used Nikon's gear for photography. But I don't know anything about the quality of the Nikon scopes. Mechanical, optical or anything. Nothing. Are they built on Japan or China or Vietnam or where? Are they really quality scopes like Leupold? Where they stand compared to Leupold or some quality european makers?
    depends on your budget.

once you get into their mid and upper level lines, I feel they compare quite well
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Chase is hopefully over. I found from one small shop an Meopta MeoStar R1 3-12x56 RD with about 20% cheaper than usual going price is here. I ordered it and now I hope they can really deliver it.
    I'm very exited. Planning to get Meopta's ballistic hunting turret for it and lock it to my trusted Rem 798 with Sako Optilocks. Hopefully it will serve me well for the years to come. It's a bit big to trash around in our drive hunts but it will be great with it's red dot and huge objective while waiting for the deers during the winter evenings and nights.
    I would love to have a nice special tools for both of my hunting styles but hey, life is mostly about compromise.
    -William Blake-
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Ahhhh, now I remember. I just bumped into a 798 basically like new in .243 at a local store for a great price and I was trying to remember who put the bug in MY EAR about this one. It was YOU! I don't need this gun, I have a beautiful Husqvarna in .243 that I love, and I'm still thinking of buying this rifle... THANKS!!! :cuss:

Haha, what can I say. It's got a great Mauser action and it's a beautiful rifle. Your life would, be much better with it. Trust me! :love: :agree:

-William Blake-
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Haha, what can I say. It's got a great Mauser action and it's a beautiful rifle. Your life would, be much better with it. Trust me! :love: :agree:

Someday when I grow up I would like to take pictures half as nice as yours.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You can begin improving your skills by not licking the camera lens.
    But it reminds him of the bus he rode the first 10 years of grade school.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    No, artificial light is forbidden to use for dark time hunting.

If you can live at 5x I think what Jerminator recommended is about as good as you can get without spending a lot of money for night vision, if that's even legal there. But if you want more power check out some of the Nikons. You should be able to get a really clear 3-9x40 for under $400 USD.

I personally have a Leupold 4.5-14x56 VX-3L. It's a bit expensive at around $800-$900 USD but it is good at low light. However, for less money you can get a Zeiss Conquest. But even with these real clear scopes, at a high power setting they lose a lot of effectiveness. At low light any scope I have is at minimum power. And it makes a good bit of difference. So this would default me back to the one Jerminator recommended.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.