52gr HP - 1 / Deer - 0

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,772 Senior Member
At my rancher friend's house this afternoon helping him get dope out to 750 yards for a new .308 Win load we'd worked up the other day. It was stupid warm for this time of year. 72 freaking degrees!

When we finished, he mentioned that he'd told a mutual highway patrol friend of ours that he would get him a deer. But, it was so warm, he didn't really want to mess with it.

I told him if he let me video the shot, I would take care of the deer for him. Of course.

So, we drove down the road and poured some corn on the ground. Climbed up on the grassy knoll and waited.

A344F380-A37E-43C8-908F-06381AB3E6B6_zpslwyhsf2l.jpg

About 5 minutes went buy and 3 deer came out. He aimed in on her and I told him to let me know when he was going to shoot.

82245D77-E9C4-4CEE-BFF7-FC8D3EF9FF9A_zpsi4fqldmd.jpg

He just barely gave me enough time to hit record.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/lovinmycaitlynn/media/Hunting/D2D76B92-413F-48FB-90AA-53A389C73D78_zpsxw8ckjnn.mp4.html

And that was that.

52gr Hollow Point out of a Savage .223 Remington did the job.

3CFF2720-10A3-4819-9F3A-EC8C547B8AAD_zpsan7dyeym.jpg

Bullet entered just in front of the right ear, disintegrated, scrambled the brains, shattered the skull, and never touched the other side of the head.

9FD0E2E1-441D-40B7-8CD1-90E23040C84C_zpsjhuumeww.jpg

He said that he used this combination for that very reason. The it stays in the head and he doesn't have to worry about hitting another deer.

Makes sense.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Thats some pretty specialized looking optics on that rifle. He seems to know exactly what he's doing.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,772 Senior Member
    That's a light on the scope for varmint calling at night.

Yes. He's a pretty darn good shot.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That's a light on the scope for varmint calling at night.

Yes. He's a pretty darn good shot.

I can't imagine any of your buddies are poor shots.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I can't imagine any of your buddies are poor shots.

We try our best.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    We try our best.

I would be ringing a gong pulling the trigger with my toe by now if I lived in your neck of the woods, just because:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I would be ringing a gong pulling the trigger with my toe by now if I lived in your neck of the woods, just because:jester:

Or die trying!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,287 Senior Member
    That's one big ass chicken down range:jester:

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    That's one big ass chicken down range:jester:

Sako

Yep!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    How the hell can he shoot that rifle with the bolt on the wrong side? But I see that he shoulders it on the correct side.
    He's not right in the head.
    cpj wrote: »
    Quite the cloud of goo at impact.

Oh, and.... "Hey dog. DOG! Did YOU see the size of that CHICKEN?"

That's the thing. It didn't blow the back of her head off. So, I don't know what that "mist" was on impact.

"We're in the spirit world, Ass Hole!"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Glad to see the bolt was on the proper side! Nice shoot'n!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    It is kind of crazy how the game laws run from one state to the next.

If the possum police caught me with that setup there would be at least two tickets and probably loss of the rifle. .223 is legal but a 55gr expanding bullet minimum and the light is an instant drawn and quartered offense.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

If the possum police caught me with that setup there would be at least two tickets and probably loss of the rifle. .223 is legal but a 55gr expanding bullet minimum and the light is an instant drawn and quartered offense.

Gotta love my state.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,009 Senior Member

Here the mounted light on the rifle is an instant ticket. As long as it's an "expanding" or cast bullet, I'm good on that front

If I'd had my commander with its laser grips on it when I had to finish that spike, I could have been ticketed for that too. I can carry for self-defense while hunting, but can't have anything attached to a firearm, or with me meant to be attached that projects light forward of the weapon.

That cloud might have been dust and/or dead skin cells :confused:

Edited to add: watching it enlarged, plus the 3rd pic, I'm thinking is might have been brain stuff blowing out the right ear
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The laser grips would be a ticket here too. Although the Commander does meet the legal requirements for hunting in OK.

In OK the laws are written more in favor of the possum police. Pretty much any light source could be considered a "spotlight" and most anything that uses a projectile could be a means of take.

The laws for hunting after dark are VERY restrictive and complex as possible.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,736 Senior Member
    That's the thing. It didn't blow the back of her head off. So, I don't know what that "mist" was on impact.

"We're in the spirit world, Ass Hole!"

Excellent performance of the cartridge/rifle combination. Love the video.

I have seen similar 'clouds/mist on headshot deer. If you check both eardrums you will find that they have been blown out as the skull is pressurised and the white mist is vaporised brain matter which is taking the path of least resistance out through the ears.....

Have a close look at this video I posted up of goat shooting. You can see a ( albeit a lot smaller) white 'cloud' as the brain is vaporised. Those goats were shot with a 222 55gr Sierra sp. A hollow point would probably expand much better and create more pressure inside the skull.

th_S1060004_zpslf70sgft.mp4
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    Looks like a good and clean kill to me. Great shot on his part, for sure.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.