Home Main Category Hunting

Can you shoot them in the air or do you have to let them land?

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 2,601 Senior Member
I haven't had time to hunt yet this year as I've been spending too much time at work. That said the freezer I getting thin and I need to restock. With my limited time I figure reindeer should taste about the same as white tail. They're an invasive species, I have a very long roof over my house and shed that could make it a chip shot. What are the regulations for controlling this invasive species? Can I drop them from the air?
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• JRLJRL Member Posts: 355 Member
    It's a no go in Califunnia and the other left coast areas of NY and Maryland, etc

You must file an ATF form 12-25 to use a suppressed rifle and wait 12 lunar months to get approval
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    If I was a betting man I'd say it's illegal in every state unless you have a permit of some sort. My neighbor who put up the high fence told me he was going to kill off the existing deer herd using a helicopter so he could bring in his genetically superior whitetails. He didn't do it said too much red tape getting a permit from the state.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,402 Senior Member
    I let them land. Saves having to calculate how much to lead them by.

Got this dark skinned one a couple of years back.........
    Tues2ndjan07016.jpg

Got this one about a month ago..........

DSCF7060_zpsggkgag9m.jpg

Most I ever saw together was these three...........but they hadnt grown their racks properly so I gave them a free pass......

2nddec07063.jpg

This one certainly had a surprised look on his face after I squeezed the trigger on him though...................I think he thought he was untouchable cos he didnt have his full rack

staffxmaspartydeerandfinancial031_zps409dde59.jpg
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Been thinking about rigging Claymore mines to the chimney. Don't have to spend all night waiting out in the cold, and don't have to spend nearly as long running the meat grinder.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Sunny FloridaPosts: 448 Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I let them land. Saves having to calculate how much to lead them by.

Got this dark skinned one a couple of years back.........
    Tues2ndjan07016.jpg

Got this one about a month ago..........

DSCF7060_zpsggkgag9m.jpg

Most I ever saw together was these three...........but they hadnt grown their racks properly so I gave them a free pass......

2nddec07063.jpg

This one certainly had a surprised look on his face after I squeezed the trigger on him though...................I think he thought he was untouchable cos he didnt have his full rack

staffxmaspartydeerandfinancial031_zps409dde59.jpg

Yeah, he was bug eyed he was so surprised.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016