Home Main Category Clubhouse

Urban Meyer is coming to town!

jbohiojbohio Senior MemberPosts: 5,600 Senior Member
I'm sure anyone who follows any type of sports has heard, Urban Meyer was named new head coach for the Buckeyes today.

Columbus is abuzz, everybody is super excited. They're talking about how he'll probably get his pick of pretty much any assistant coach in the country, and recruiting should be exceptional.

I wonder what all you college football fans from around the country think about it?

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Ohh, I thought you meant the big box store, Myer's the same company that owns Kroggles.......
    I have a gift card from them and I am off to spend it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    Hope Michigan enjoyed their win this year! May be their last for awhile longer.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    He retired from FL due to heart problems induced by stress? And there's no stress at Ohio?

Meyer's a good coach. Not sure about his recruiting, but an excellent coach (he brought FL 2 national titles, after all. One at the hands of Ohio State.) I just wonder about how well he'll handle the stress?

Edited to add: here's a sports column from the local rag talking about Coach Meyer. Kinda interesting, I think.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2011/11/from-urban-meyer-to-urban-liar-now-gators-know-how-utah-fans-felt.html
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    At least OSU is getting a coach that knows how to win against an SEC team. Now just to see if they can do it :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,403 Senior Member
    He retired from FL due to heart problems induced by stress? And there's no stress at Ohio?

Meyer's a good coach. Not sure about his recruiting, but an excellent coach (he brought FL 2 national titles, after all. One at the hands of Ohio State.) I just wonder about how well he'll handle the stress?

Edited to add: here's a sports column from the local rag talking about Coach Meyer. Kinda interesting, I think.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2011/11/from-urban-meyer-to-urban-liar-now-gators-know-how-utah-fans-felt.html

That's because coaches at top teams have to be part politician. Did anyone actually think he would ever say, ''I wish I could go back home to Ohio and coach the Buckeyes.'' Even if that's the way he felt???

Haven't seen any $$$ figures yet, but I'm guessing (what they paid Tressel) $3,500,000 could calm my nerves pretty darn good......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    6 year contract, $4 million base, $26.4 million possible value.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2016882860_grid29.html

I can understand the political aspect of saying "I want to stay" and not leaving on bad terms.

On the other hand: if your heart can't handle coaching at UF, what about Ohio State (I refuse to use "THE") where the NCAA sanctions are as yet unknown?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I dunno....I think you are right Bream..While Big Ten football is not what it use to be, I think there is stress within the conference like that in the SEC...I think Paul has it right too...maybe in a few years they will actually win against an SEC team...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    I just hope he figures out how to delegate responsibility and is able to maintain a work life balance as to not burn out and quit on us like he did Florida.

Read http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/story/2011-11-28/ohio-state-hiring-urban-meyer-cover/51452470/1
    It sounds like he has studied his problem and feels he has a solution to his past problem. As to NCAA sanctions, you should look at Florida and the current problems they are facing. I believe he will control his past health problems as suggested in the article.

I also hope Michigan enjoys their latest win, as I suspect it will be a long time before they win again.
    Current problems that are due, in large part, to players Urban recruited. The arrest rate for Gators shot up while Meyer was the head coach. Just sayin'.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Very true. But it's not that new. When I was in high school, 19 yrs. ago, we had a star running back. He set records. He also planned on going to UF, but barely graduated high school. Had to go to a community college to play ball and hope to get picked by a 1A school. Unfortunately for him, UF's coach at the time was Steve Spurrier, and he wouldn't take community college players due to possible disciplinary and other issues. So the running back, who had great potential but poor grades, never got to play 1A ball. Never went to college. Because he thought he was entitled to play college ball and didn't need to study.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • 41 cal41 cal Member Posts: 97 Member
    I think alot of urban's stress was from florida,spurrier seems to be alot calmer at south carolina,than he was at fl.I also heard he was offered a total of 40,000,000.00 hard to turn that down.I would think that at a school like OSU.I'm a gator always will,but hope the best for him!
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but its getting harder to find one ...