Home Main Category Hunting

I saw him again yesterday evening

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
I was sitting in my blind yesterday looking up and down the sendero when I looked north at the bottom of a draw, and there he was looking back at me. He was about 8 feet from the brush line and he calmly stepped over into the brush line before I could shoulder my rifle. I could see his antlers stuck out about 5 inches on each side of his ears. He were a shooter to say the least. He's the biggest deer I've seen in years. The day before I had dumped about a third of a sack of corn on the far side of the little creek and poured Deer Caine all over it. Tomorrow I'll fly to Mozambique to spend Christmas with my kids and my first EX, she lives on the family farm out of Boonville, for 5 days coming back the 27th. I'll have 5 days of regular rifle hunting season left when I get back. Then two weeks of ML season. If I don't get that damn buck I'm gonna CRY!!!

My .270 fell over in the blind and knocked it off zero when I was leaving my blind last night so I shot it at a milk jug up by the gate. I had a good rest (my car) and it missed it three times so I know I knocked it off. So I'll go to the rifle range later and get it And my 06 which also fell over last week and get them back on so when I get back I don't have to waste a day and can cut right to the chase.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Are you sure the .270 did not just bounce off the jug :popcorn:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Are you sure the .270 did not just bounce off the jug :popcorn:

I suppose that's a possibility Ned, but if that happens you might want to look over head because there will be Pigs Flying over.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    It's those encounters that keep up going back.....Good Luck. I miss spending time in New Franklin.......Haven't been there in years...enjoy the time with your family.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member J&D Ranch - North Central TXPosts: 2,548 Senior Member
    I'll take seeing a big boy almost as much as harvesting him. It's a bit better to see one than not seeing anything at all!

Safe travels my friend and Merry Christmas to you and the family!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    twa wrote: »
    It's those encounters that keep up going back.....Good Luck. I miss spending time in New Franklin.......Haven't been there in years...enjoy the time with your family.

Thanks twa, New Franklin is a neat place. We used to go to their meat market and buy briskets to BBQ. I learned a lesson. Up thataway they don't sell you fat brisket, only market trimmed, which sucks for BBQ. You can't BBQ them like we do here without drying them out. But the beef up that way is first class other than that.There's a store under the river bridge coming out of Boonville headed to New Franklin called Snotty's. My late FIL used to love to take me in there and show off his Texas SIL. I really love that part of the country. It's a whole lot nicer than the city boy country in Columbia just 20 miles east.
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I'll take seeing a big boy almost as much as harvesting him. It's a bit better to see one than not seeing anything at all!

Safe travels my friend and Merry Christmas to you and the family!

Yeah I suppose so Jeff, but it's getting old, seeing them but not getting them. I have 5 CF days left and I'm going to give er hell. But if I don't score in rifle season, the gloves are coming off and the ML is going into action. I'm gettin that buck if I have to rope 'em and hog tie him.

Also, Merry Christmas back at ya Jeff!!! And with Trump PREZ Elect Maybe we'll have a much better year ahead.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    "Ya shoulda seen the one that got away!" + .270 = Lots of forum merriment and free entertainment! :popcorn:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    When Pigs fly!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: