Need design input on a hunting rest

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,552 Senior Member
Since most of our hogs are nocturnal the kids and their friends usually walk the ranch a couple times a night stalking up to the areas with feeders or pig crossings. If they stalk up and there's pigs it usually means trying to find a tree or sit down and take a shot. I have shooting stix but they don't like carrying them. They want me be put in a simple rest that's easy to get to and will offer a solid rest for shooting. They all said they'd like it standing height but everyone is a different height but I could probably find a happy medium that will work. To keep it simple I thought digging a fence post hole about a foot deep of setting a 2" diameter steel pipe into it a concrete it in. Keep it 5' or so tall. My question is what to put on top for a platform. I could add a pipe cap and weld a two pieces of steel in a "V" shape and put pipe foam insulation around it and let the cap swivel. Or I could use a floor flange screwed into the pipe and screw a small wooden platform to the flange. If I went that direction how big should the platform be? I want to keep this as simple as possible but make it functional.

Thoughts
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    I'd rather use my Bog-Pod...HOWEVER...set a wooden fence post and use some of those screw-in climbing steps for shooting rests....put in several to accomodate those of varying tallness...I did this in several of my often used stands...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I have one of those push button bi-pods. They are easy to use and they can sling their rifles in a way that they are both easy to carry and quick to bring into action. The bipod makes a good walking stick. The pre-positioned poles are never going to be in the right place.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Great ideas and input. I always tote my Primos tri-stix when I walk around. The way into each feeder and food plot does layout well for a mounted pole with a V attachment swivel on it. If you saw how I laid out the stands and feeders it would make sense. I'm really liking the idea of using the mono-pod attachment on a swivel for a couple of the stands and the T Post adapter for some of the crossings. Things I hain't thought of thanks.

Keep the ideas coming. Much better than what I had hatched in my mind.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Since most of our hogs are nocturnal the kids and their friends usually walk the ranch a couple times a night stalking up to the areas with feeders or pig crossings. If they stalk up and there's pigs it usually means trying to find a tree or sit down and take a shot. I have shooting stix but they don't like carrying them. They want me be put in a simple rest that's easy to get to and will offer a solid rest for shooting. They all said they'd like it standing height but everyone is a different height but I could probably find a happy medium that will work. To keep it simple I thought digging a fence post hole about a foot deep of setting a 2" diameter steel pipe into it a concrete it in. Keep it 5' or so tall. My question is what to put on top for a platform. I could add a pipe cap and weld a two pieces of steel in a "V" shape and put pipe foam insulation around it and let the cap swivel. Or I could use a floor flange screwed into the pipe and screw a small wooden platform to the flange. If I went that direction how big should the platform be? I want to keep this as simple as possible but make it functional.

Thoughts

Jeff, in my portable tent blind I use a three legged PVC contraption I built. It's light weight, cheap, and rigid enough to give you a steady enough rest for a shot at a hog. I made it with 3/4 inch PVC. It cost me about $5 to build. BTW, I didn't glue it, it's just stuck together.

Edited: I was talking out my anal opening. I didn't glue the Legs in. I glued the top together.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Jeff, if you sink a wood post near your feeders drill a 1/4" hole, two on one side and one on the other, staggered 4 to 6 inches apart vertically. Then insert rubber coated hangers, the kind used to hang tools in a garage or barn, in the holes you just drilled. I'm thinking the Z shaped ones. An inexpensive solution that would be the right size for all of the kids. keep yer powder dry.......robin :applause:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    See my edit to my original post above. When I first posted it I had my head in that warm moist dark place, Yet AGAIN!

:bang:

:roll2:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'd sink a 4x4" treated wood post into the ground and drill 1" holes up and down the two sides facing the most likely shooting direction about 8" apart and glue 8" dowels into the holes. I'd wrap each dowel in self vulcanizing rubber electrical tape to make them nice and quiet.

Similar to my idea but cheaper yet. Instead of electrical tape how about foam pipe insulation or pool noodles?
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I'd sink a 4x4" treated wood post into the ground and drill 1" holes up and down the two sides facing the most likely shooting direction about 8" apart and glue 8" dowels into the holes. I'd wrap each dowel in self vulcanizing rubber electrical tape to make them nice and quiet. That would also make a dandy place to hang rifles, packs, binos, coats etc while you take care of your game.

I would do something along the lines of this but bigger than a 4x4". If the cow critters can get to it they will gladly make it a scratching post until they destroy it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    I'd sink a 4x4" treated wood post into the ground and drill 1" holes up and down the two sides facing the most likely shooting direction about 8" apart and glue 8" dowels into the holes. I'd wrap each dowel in self vulcanizing rubber electrical tape to make them nice and quiet. That would also make a dandy place to hang rifles, packs, binos, coats etc while you take care of your game.

I think we have a winner, thanks Enzo great idea!

cpj wrote: »
    Wambli is an ass hat. (:testingtesting123:

I like both your ideas except I prefer a more portable option. But the good thing about your ideas is that they're sturdy. If I was Jeff I'd sink two or three 4x4 so drilled and stick 3/4 pvc in them. No bovine will break them. If you're afraid they will use 3/4 galvanized pipe. drill your hole about a 32nd smaller than the OD of the pipe and drive em in. Sink the 4x4s in strategic positions around the feeder at about 100 yard distances. Pigs can be highly weiry and can sense you pretty quick. Under 100 yards they'll sense you and be off to the next zip code.