Home Main Category Clubhouse

New Neighbors

SargeSarge MemberPosts: 324 Member
Well... I've met the new neighbors -officially- and I don't like them. Allow me to explain. Get home from work today, and they're having a little get together across the road. That's all fine and dandy, right? Except they've got two cars blocking my driveway, and one parked IN my driveway, making it impossible for me to get into my driveway excepting driving over the grass - bad idea. And so, I walked over and knocked on the door, I was greeted with a lovely drunk person. I politely asked him to ask the owners of the vehicles to move their cars out of my driveway. I was given a half drunken beer and told to "lighten up". So I walked into the house, walked over to the dj area, yanked out the power cord and in my best scare the new recruits voice said "If you are parked in the driveway across the road, you have exactly thirty seconds to get to your vehicles and move them out of my driveway. After that, I start dragging." A second of silence. "Twenty seconds." Three people dashed out the door to their vehicles and got them moved.
Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I wouldn't put up with that, either. No problem with how you handled it. I'd have done it a little different, though. Flat tires all around via screwing out the valve cores a bit for that slow steady leak down to flatness.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I am guessing you won't be invited the their next party either.

I have had some serious Whiskey Tango neighbors. One even ran over my mail box in what was probably a whiskey throttle good time. Good luck with yours.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I wouldn't put up with that, either. No problem with how you handled it. I'd have done it a little different, though. Flat tires all around via screwing out the valve cores a bit for that slow steady leak down to flatness.

I was in uniform - that's a bad idea.

EDIT: okay maybe not so bad, thought you meant slashing tires heh
    I am guessing you won't be invited the their next party either.

I have had some serious Whiskey Tango neighbors. One even ran over my mail box in what was probably a whiskey throttle good time. Good luck with yours.

If they have the balls to invite me to their party I'll laugh.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Amazing what a quarter of a turn CCW on a valve core will do- - - - -usually takes a couple of hours to go totally flat. Leaving a party three sheets in the wind and finding four flat tires would be a real education- - - - -especially if the cops had been given a little heads-up about the potential for a few DUI collars being available in a little while. Revenge is a dish best served COLD!
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Dad's '63 1 ton GMC had a MASSIVE rear bumper and HUGE trailer hitch. He only got about halfway down the driveway before the car parked in the end of same was removed post haste!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I don't now the laws in your state, but here, as long as you're willing to sign an affidavit that it's on your property, towing companies will come get them at no charge to you.
    Word has gotten around not to block my driveway if your car won't make it up into the apartments across the street. The wrecker yard's about 1.5 miles from here, and I've been told it costs them nearly $400 to get their car back :devil:

I've got a truck big enough it'll drag them down the road and into the swamp... But you're right, a tow company is the "safe" route. I tried to be diplomatic first, heh.

And honestly I don't mind people having their parties celebrating, whatever. It's not even a problem they'd blocked my driveway. It became an issue when it wasn't sorted on the double.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I don't trust myself in those type of confrontations. Here in the city, I call the cops just to protect myself from me.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    I don't trust myself in those type of confrontations. Here in the city, I call the cops just to protect myself from me.

We're not really in the city, but we're not really in the country, either. Suburbs, more or less. But to be fair, if I need a Sheriff, I've got one that lives with me. She's currently pregnant so I'm not sure I'd want to play that card or not. It'd have to be a desperate situation.
    cpj wrote: »
    At a different house we lived close to the fair grounds. On a corner. When the fair was in town, people would park on our street and walk to save the parking fee. That's fine.
    @ &&$$$ driveway doesn't move in about 10 seconds, their car is getting rammed." They had me completely blocked in. Only one way out. Hopped in the truck, and see some dude sprinting down the sidewalk waving his hands talking about "I'm sorry, didn't realize I blocked you."
    REALLY Einstein? You missed the bright yellow Chevy truck in the driveway you blocked?

Living on that corner got me lots of target holders. Real estate agents would stick their signs advertising homes for sale down the street. Got about 3 before the agent knocked on my door asking if I had seen anyone take them.
    "Nope. But then again, I don't recall you asking me to place signs in my yard."
    "Well, Can I place signs in your yard?"
    "Nope. They're likely to continue to get stolen. Bad neighborhood around here. Probably a bad idea. "

Yeah I've trained the real estate agents not to put their crapola in my yard. Except, when I catch them doing it I promptly walk out side, yank it up, and toss it into the street making sure they see me do it.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    After dealing wih neighbors for 20 years, I opted out of that headache. The nearest house is about 1/3 mile away. I did have a neighbor from Miami let their dogs run free. I have free range chickens. Nothing better than a Victor #2 and a can of neon pink paint.

Sends the right message without killing the dog.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »
    After dealing wih neighbors for 20 years, I opted out of that headache. The nearest house is about 1/3 mile away. I did have a neighbor from Miami let their dogs run free. I have free range chickens. Nothing better than a Victor #2 and a can of neon pink paint.

Sends the right message without killing the dog.

Someday... Someday...
    Holy crap Sarge. I'm pretty sure those three pissed their pants on the way to move those cars.

Well done indeed!

I certainly hope so. If they left the puddle on the floor, it'd certainly have made my day.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Worse I had was my parents neighbor and his wife being asses. One would park in their own driveway and the other in front of my parents on the street. No big deal except that their house had no car on the street in front of their house which left my elderly dad having to park waaaay further down and walking further home. On a Sunday visit I blocked their driveway when I parked on the street. Stayed there until the husband had to leave and embarrassingly came over to nicely but with a shameful look, ask if I could move. I was an asswhole and just said "dont park in front of this house anymore". He walked away, I moved my car, problem never occured again.
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Worse I had was my parents neighbor and his wife being asses. One would park in their own driveway and the other in front of my parents on the street. No big deal except that their house had no car on the street in front of their house which left my elderly dad having to park waaaay further down and walking further home. On a Sunday visit I blocked their driveway when I parked on the street. Stayed there until the husband had to leave and embarrassingly came over to nicely but with a shameful look, ask if I could move. I was an asswhole and just said "dont park in front of this house anymore". He walked away, I moved my car, problem never occured again.

And yanno the sad part is? You have to treat some of these people like friggin five year olds because APPARENTLY basic manners and neighborly etiquette are not so common anymore.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    28aa252a4190b0e60aae3dae6cccd0ed.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just give the car in your driveway a free paint job- - - - -with a gallon of porch and deck enamel and a push broom!
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I was backed into a loading dock in my work truck some years ago taking a break. A car parked on the street blocking the car behind it because it was too close. The driver then exited. Meanwhile the driver of thr blocked in car returned, and proceeded to ram the car that blocked him in while gradually freeing his vehicle. The offender returned in time to witness the melee. The offender was shocked into immobility. The blocked in guy rammed his way out and left. The offender then did the same.

A rather uneventful conclusion to an event that could have went very far south in a hurry.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    So, all the macho chest beating interweb tough guy bullcrap aside because I think most of y'all are full of crap with your threats..........does anyone actually know or looked up the legal ramifications for either them for being there or you for the destruction of property?

Since we are all acting tough on the Internet.......I'm just curious if anyone has actually looked it up. I have not had occasion or reason to so I'm unaware.

I've never had to destroy anyone's vehicle. I just politely ask them to move.

I see Knitepoet is aware of at least the towing laws in his area. Anyone else know what could be done if the cars weren't moved as requested or you painted, rammed, or drug them down a public street to the "swamp"?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    So, all the macho chest beating interweb tough guy bullcrap aside because I think most of y'all are full of crap with your threats..........does anyone actually know or looked up the legal ramifications for either them for being there or you for the destruction of property?

Since we are all acting tough on the Internet.......I'm just curious if anyone has actually looked it up. I have not had occasion or reason to so I'm unaware.

I see Knitepoet is aware of at least the towing laws in his area. Anyone else know what would happen if the cars weren't moved or you painted, rammed, or drug them down a public street to the "swamp"?

The voice of reason.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member

I see Knitepoet is aware of at least the towing laws in his area. Anyone else know what could be done if the cars weren't moved as requested or you painted, rammed, or drug them down a public street to the "swamp"?
    Yeah kinda this.

I see home invasions, destruction of property, communicating threats, violations of the uniform code of justice, and some other stuff, for what amounts to a minor crime. The guy that has parked wrong is going to get a ticket. Some of you others are going to jail and or getting a court marshal. Whatever floats your boat.

Me I am asking them to move and then calling the cops.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    zcxfp.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,205 Senior Member
    You did fine Sarge, act like children, get treated like children, you were not dealing with your neighbors, just the people they invited into their house, you get to see how the neighbors react to you, bonus. An apology from them would be in order if they had any class, get back on the right foot again.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member

You're quite right in today's world. However, my late father really didn't care - that car was going to get rammed if it didn't get moved and he told the perp exactly that. As far as I'm concerned, he was within his rights - but that wouldn't get him very far in today's Nanny State world.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Is the paint for the dog or the trap?

For the dog. Rattle can his ass-end pink and turn him loose.

ETA: Since "laws" were mentioned, I can legally shoot a dog(s) for chasing my chickens, deer, or just running loose.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Effing Glock lovers always spoil the fun.

I'm lucky. I have great neighbors. Methodist preacher to the left, Air Force Chief Master Sergeant to the right. Pediatric Doc two doors down and retirees to either side of them. Nice, quiet neighborhood.

I'm the only menace in the area.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    Real estate agents would stick their signs advertising homes for sale down the street. Got about 3 before the agent knocked on my door asking if I had seen anyone take them. "

They make excellent target stands............so I've heard.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I asked a guy in town who'd run for Mayor if I could have his old political signs. He ran as a democrat. He gave me a pile of them. When he asked what I was going to do with them, I told him they made great target stands. He than asked me if I'd also asked his opponent for his old signs. I replied. "No."
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    Sarge wrote: »
    Well... I've met the new neighbors -officially- and I don't like them. Allow me to explain. Get home from work today, and they're having a little get together across the road. That's all fine and dandy, right? Except they've got two cars blocking my driveway, and one parked IN my driveway, making it impossible for me to get into my driveway excepting driving over the grass - bad idea. And so, I walked over and knocked on the door, I was greeted with a lovely drunk person. I politely asked him to ask the owners of the vehicles to move their cars out of my driveway. I was given a half drunken beer and told to "lighten up". So I walked into the house, walked over to the dj area, yanked out the power cord and in my best scare the new recruits voice said "If you are parked in the driveway across the road, you have exactly thirty seconds to get to your vehicles and move them out of my driveway. After that, I start dragging." A second of silence. "Twenty seconds." Three people dashed out the door to their vehicles and got them moved.

PERFECT, and it gave you a chance to demonstrate your excellent Drill Sergeant skills to the new neighbors.....:angry: :applause:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I can't fathom anyone being so rude as to block my driveway. If I did that to someone, I would expect to see my vehicle towed when I got back. Evil me would certainly want to move it out of my way with the skid steer, but I wouldn't want the liability. I would let a towing company deal with it. I have learned that I often make poor decisions when I am pissed off and wind up regretting them. I try to make an effort to step back and think things through with a clear head now. It keeps me out of a lot of trouble.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong. I would love to do many of the thing advocated, but the law sees it differently. I would be happy to burn their vehicle to the ground, but as Jerm said......