Quite a nice evening out hunting

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,618 Senior Member
I had one of those simply pure and relaxing evenings in my stand this evening. The winds were blowing hard out of the north. This is a bummer for hunting as most of my stands are setup for south winds. I decided to try something new. I grabbed my one man blind and walked to the far southwest corner of my property. Problem was I had to walk past two stands and feeders to get there as there was no other way in. I stepped in every cow pie I could find to help hide my scent. Got tucked into my blind. Fifty yards in front of me is a major pig crossing, a hundred and fifty yards is another major deer/hog crossing and 300 yards out was the feeder. Twenty minutes from being in the blind the almost legal six point with no brow tines showed up. He walked right down the dirt road in my boot tracks. Cow pop works. He fed for about 30 min. While he was feeding a dozen plus quail came in and fed around him.

I found myself simply relaxing and enjoying the view. It was almost dark when I got out of the blind. Directly behind me is my neighbor who high fenced his property and put trophy whitetail on it. Standing 60 yards away was the most magnificent whitetail buck I've ever seen. I'm betting he was a 190 class whitetail. His G2 and G3 tines where almost a foot tall with heavy mass and he was probably 6 to 8" outside the ears.

I walked back to the house and passed a couple other stands. Under my pond feeder was a large bore feeding by himself. I decided to let him go until next time. Just didn't feel like tripping the trigger.

I didn't pull the trigger but all in all this was one of those simply relaxing evenings out hunting and watching gods critters do what they do!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Nice time I bet.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    Sounds like that high fence isn't hurting your hunting opportunities much. Nice time out
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,511 Senior Member
    :beer:
    Sounds awesome. I love evenings like that.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Sounds relaxing :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    There's a very nice song about when its twilight time. I can't recall the exact title or singer, but its still a great time to be outdoors.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I love days like that. One very wise old friend once told me, "Sometimes all the fun of hunting ends the moment your wife pulls the trigger."
    FIFY :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    I can remember crystal clear what happens in the moments before the shot almost every time, after, not so much.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: