Home Main Category Clubhouse

Blacksmithing (And other awesome things)

SargeSarge MemberPosts: 324 Member
Recently I've been watching these videos on youtube about blacksmitthing, watching them make various arms. It's quite interesting, have a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEktwaAsv_Y
Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'm in the process of building my own forge from a couple of cast iron 18-wheeler brake drums- - - -one for the base, the other lined with fire brick and refractory cement for the burner end, connected by 3 feet of 4" black pipe with an electric leaf blower as an air source. I've also got a 150 pound anvil and a big hickory stump to mount it on. Gotta get all the Hardy tools , tongs, hammers, etc. but they're usually pretty reasonable on Ebay or at antique shops where they think they're nothing but wall decorations.
    Jerry
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I'm in the process of building my own forge from a couple of cast iron 18-wheeler brake drums- - - -one for the base, the other lined with fire brick and refractory cement for the burner end, connected by 3 feet of 4" black pipe with an electric leaf blower as an air source. I've also got a 150 pound anvil and a big hickory stump to mount it on. Gotta get all the Hardy tools , tongs, hammers, etc. but they're usually pretty reasonable on Ebay or at antique shops where they think they're nothing but wall decorations.
    Jerry

Be sure to let me know how it turns out! It's definitely interesting to me. I can manage a little wood working - make rocking chairs, mostly. Sell those occasionally but nothing too complicated.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's on the list of things to play with when I retire. Only interested in making knife/short sword blades for myself. Same as acquiring gunsmithing skills/tools so I can build whatever I want for myself and family.

Probably for me too. Wow, that list gets longer every day, eh?
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    And more expensive the older you get :bang:

Ain't that the derned truth. Just look at guns and ammo. Everything's going up.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Don't wait too late to get started- - - - - -my mind keeps writing checks my body can't cash any more!
    :tissue:
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't wait too late to get started- - - - - -my mind keeps writing checks my body can't cash any more!
    :tissue:
    Jerry

Hold up now can't buy too much at one time, then the wife starts gettin' a little jealous, starts wanting something of her own that she can shoot. See what I mean? Or jewelry. Depends on the time of the year.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I have a .32cal flintlock squirrel rifle that has foraged lock plate, side plate, butt plate, thimbles, sights, all hand foraged from A-Model springs. Jerry has seen it. Several knives, too. Black smithing--hand foraging is big in the black powder rifle making community. In fact I've got 5-6 rifles with hand foraged hardware.
    cpj wrote: »
    I remember making a cold chisel back in 8th grade. You know, when kids actually got to do cool things in shop class. It was functional, but juuuust a little out of straight. But it worked. I think my dad still has it. I know I enjoyed making it.
    I'd like to do some forge work, but I've got.....too many irons in the fire. Git it?

I do plan on making a forge of sorts, simply for melting down scrap aluminum. I'd like to build some so deal steam engines one day.

Spent all day working at Grizzly Industrial. Of course when I was done I had to do some shopping. Not spending, shopping. Now to convince myself and wallet that I need the mill I was looking at...

Yeah...nowadays everyone's afraid someone's gonna cut off a finger...
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 849 Senior Member
    I'm enjoying my Grandfather's forge and anvil: Link

I think I need to get a portable shelter to cover the area so I can work out there when it rains.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.