Home Main Category Clubhouse

Time fer a new washer and dryer

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
So it looks like it will between Whirlpool and Maytag, both "On Sale" at Lowe's with their perpetual sale, about the same price.

Hotpoints I have are over 15 years old.............served well with only a belt needed. Wore about out now and not so efficient.

One of the two has a new style agitator with fins at the bottom instead of the traditional style with the tall agitator all the way up the middle.

One thing is the less blinky blink lights and touch control the better, I like knobs. One washer has a smoked lid , they are both top loading washers which I prefer.

Whirlpool $449 ea and "Save" $400

Maytag $479 ea and save $340 on the pair

Both the same capacity 4.3 cu ft and 7 cu ft on the dryers.

Both have more wash options and dryer selections than I'll ever use.

Free delivery (set-up?) and I get a 10% military discount.

I could go real cheap and buy Roper, but only about 100 bucks each cheaper and are very basic. I had a pair of Ropers when I kept two households, they worked for about 15 years, but left a lot to be desired.

Maytag ain't what they used to be, but have a 10 warranty on the SS drum.

So about a grand I'd rather be spending on something useful like new guns.......but they don't do laundry :tooth:
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    There's always the local "Chinese" laundry, but you'd probably have to speak Spanglish to patronize the place these days!
    Jerry
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,501 Senior Member
    The GE washer and dryer I have are about 25 years old and still going strong, but we only do about three loads a week. Appliances made these days don't last as long, so I'm in no hurry to replace them. Hard to beat Lowes, on sale and the military discount. Use that discount to purchase the extended warranty. I have a Whirlpool fridge that's about two years old and have had the repair guy out four times in the last six months to fix the ice maker. Covered! He replaced everything possible and it still didn't work right. Then he found a leaking water pump and split water hoses. Anyhow, the service tech and I have since become good friends, turns out he's a gun and old car nut!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I just moved the washer out to get to the dryer plug. It is the older 3 prong plug and outlet. I understand most new dryers come W/O cords and you purchase the ones to fit your house since they changed the codes where all newer houses built since whenever require a 4 prong plug with the extra ground.

I've swapped them before on that Roper dryer I had, no big deal. However, I'm gettin lazy and old(er) and I'll see if they put the right cord on when I purchase it and let them do all the setup/leveling and connections. Been there and done that, no fun, but I will do it if I have to.

The washer is funky underneath.......damp icky crap mixed with lint and sticky like soap on the garage floor under it. Could have splashed out over time, not leaking from where the hoses connect at the wall. It has seen its better days and is about shot.

Laundromats are a PITA fer sure, but done my share of them over the years.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,983 Senior Member
    One word: Speed Queen. 20+ years from now, you'll thank me.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    We got a Maytag Neptune set when we moved into the then-new house in 2003, and over the years have had to replace the high-speed spin sensor twice, another internal part once, and have an intermittent non-repeatable switch issue that is only resolved by resetting the breaker in the garage.

Sadly the Maytag Repairman is on our speed dial.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Teach wrote: »
    There's always the local "Chinese" laundry, but you'd probably have to speak Spanglish to patronize the place these days!
    Jerry

Wasie/foldie and back rubby GI...............special for you.................10 dollar more..........:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:
    zorba wrote: »
    One word: Speed Queen. 20+ years from now, you'll thank me.

Oh, my mind was wondering there...................do they have a Delicate cycle fer yer outfits? :jester:
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    We got a Maytag Neptune set when we moved into the then-new house in 2003, and over the years have had to replace the high-speed spin sensor twice, another internal part once, and have an intermittent non-repeatable switch issue that is only resolved by resetting the breaker in the garage.

Sadly the Maytag Repairman is on our speed dial.

Maytags ain't what they used to be, I've read. I'm staying away from too many features. Seems the more sensors and extras on stuff these days, the more they break.

Not buying top end just a step or two up.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Oh, my mind was wondering there...................do they have a Delicate cycle fer yer outfits? :jester:

I'm sure they do. From all my research, they appear to be the only brand still building them the "old way" that lasts. Our next set will be Speed Queen - I really hate buying stuff twice.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    I got a LG set, when I moved to Kentucky. On sale, I saved a little over $500 on them. My sister has had the same set for close to 4 years and hasn't had any problems. But, you won't like these............no knobs.

IMG_20161230_110655851a_zpsx9zeohjc.jpg

IMG_20161230_110709758a_zpsunm9tnhv.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Regarding the "Roper"....

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

We bought a Roper washer/dryer 3-4 yrs ago.... They barely work now. Maytag, etc. is money well spent.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    We bought a set of LG He front loaders something's in the scratch and dent area at Lowes. I think they were like $695 each before the scratch and dent markdown of $200. They have held up for 3 years with no problems but I am still Leary of the front load washers because this is the first one I have ever had.

Anyway check the scratch and dent area for bargains ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I opened the lid on our new washing machine and did a double take- - - - -no agitator! It does a good job getting the clothes clean, but it requires some pretty pricey low-suds liquid detergent.
    Jerry
    After wating for 30 minutes until another sales gal showed up I got the Whirlpool set $449 each from $599 and $699.

I was gonna get the Maytag with 10 year drum and motor warranty, but they were outta stock on one and it would be over an week before it got in. Purchased a 3 yr parts and labor warranty for them both and they have a 1 years already so I guess that means 4 yrs???

Anyhow be delivered and completely set up with new water hoses with SS connectors, new duct and clamps, new 3 prong power cable Tuesday. I could have saved a few bucks and used the old cord and hoses, but screw it... start with new. Plus hauling off the old set.

With my 10% military discount taxes and warranty, total was $1090, about what I figured when all was said and done.
    Teach wrote: »
    I opened the lid on our new washing machine and did a double take- - - - -no agitator! It does a good job getting the clothes clean, but it requires some pretty pricey low-suds liquid detergent.
    Jerry

I looked at so many different models I fergit what I ended up with. I saw the fins with no agitators and modified agitators and all kinds of features...........I just hope what I got will wash my damn clothes and dry them.
    These are the two I got. The washer has a low profile agitator whatever that is and does require He detergent.............I wonder if the Tide Pods I use are that?

I don't want a computerized set or one to start and stop with an APP on my smart phone!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-4-3-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White/50254189

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-7-cu-ft-Electric-Dryer-with-Steam-Cycle-White/50204141
    Yep, at least, I can use the Tide Pods I already have, container has He logo on it.
    olesniper wrote: »
    I got a LG set, when I moved to Kentucky. On sale, I saved a little over $500 on them. My sister has had the same set for close to 4 years and hasn't had any problems. But, you won't like these............no knobs.

Yep, I can Hob Knob around now, but I think these have the silent easy turn knobs or soft click ones..............I can't remember, nothing more boring than lookin at appliances, except furniture to me. Washer does have a row of LED indicators on the control panel. Reckon I can't have everything my way all the time..............Brave New World of Technology is upon me whether I like it or not. :tooth: :conehead: :conehead:
    Anybody else remember the Frigidaire washers with the agitator that moved up and down? Noisy as all get out, but they did a good job.

)O(
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Anybody else remember the Frigidaire washers with the agitator that moved up and down? Noisy as all get out, but they did a good job.
    I remember that type of agitator.
    I remember Ringers/Rollers and a handle on washers.
    Also getting a $25 Lowe's gift card rebate of some sort on the receipt to go online and apply for.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    My Ropers work fine. Don't need digital washer dryer. When they break you toss em so why spend $800 over $259. They are all junk when they stop working. The days of the 15-20 year washer dryer are gone. Hope you Samsung doesn't become a claymore. Lowes delivers and takes junk away as part of the service. Roper is Whirlpool with out the sunroof and power windows. :popcorn: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The last set my wife bought look like the control decks of the Starship Enterprise. The ONE TIME I decided to be helpful apparently I destroyed many HUNDREDS of $$$ of expensive "delicates"... I'm not allowed anywhere near them... ever again...

Well played. :beer:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Clean used the new washer today, seems to like it.
    Good. I had to study the instruction booklet and then the controls/knobs/settings make more sense.

Lot of choices and you just gotta figure out which setting fits your load to get the most outta the new technology. If all else fails, use the ones that use more vigorous longer wash cycles more water like heavy dirt and 2 rinses, I reckon.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    We've had both GE and Whirlpool units, and the GE seem to last longer without repair issues.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I kinda regret not waiting on the Maytags (they were out) fer about 45-50 bucks more each, mainly because of the 10 year warranty on the motors and drums. Not what the used to be, though and made at the same factory Whirlpools are. But it would have been 10 days or more before they got them in and delivered.

I haven't had any problems with what I bought, though.
    Those were Hotpoints I replaced.