My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
Friend called and asked if I'd like to come over and go quail hunting this afternoon. It was a nice warm "spring day" in December.......why not!?!

Arrived with my boy and my Ruger Charger Pistol to be introduced to a new form of Quail Hunting I'd never experienced..................driving the dirt roads in an ATV shooting them off the ground with a pistol! Well, being the controlled environment that it was, I asked my boy if he'd like to shoot some. He'd already had a lot of practice shooting my Charger, so he said, "Sure!"

We drove around not having much luck until later in the evening when we rode up on a deer feeder and saw a huge covey of Blue Quail run from the feeder and into the brush. We stopped the ATV and waited a few minutes. Finally, a couple quail darted out of the brush and into the open. I told him to aim for the center and he aimed in...................

DSCN4244_zpsaxlddauo.jpg

At about 20 yards, he popped one and it fell over in a poof of feathers. Score!!!! His first quail and his first animal with a handgun!!!!

DSCN4247%20-%20Copy_zpstqfnadjh.jpg

DSCN4253_zps6dj2nbjv.jpg

I can't express the pride and humbleness all mixed up in one great emotion. To be standing there next to my boy when he accomplished this first. It was too cool to put into words.

We rode around and the shooting got hot and heavy. Running birds.............distance shots (50+ yards)..............through brush...............I made some pretty good shots. None of them matter and hold a candle to my boy's first bird and handgun kill.

I owe a debt to this man I can never repay. He has afforded my boy a lifetime of experiences this year.

His first deer with a rifle.

Cayden%20Buck%2011-23-16%2015%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsy25gznxm.jpg

His first quail with a handgun or anything!

DSCN4248%20-%20Copy_zpseuhndrub.jpg

And the list goes on and on. Gratitude...................my heart is full.

We ended up with a pile of quail and two rabbits. Not bad for an evening's ride.

DSCN4258%20-%20Copy_zpslc80zrmj.jpg

On our way home, I asked my boy if he'd like to shoot another deer this season. "Yeah! I like shooting animals we can eat."

The words every outdoorsman and father want to hear from their son.

Yes............my heart is full.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Ah, first he likes Ruger Charger, next he likes maybe Dodge Charger :driving:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    If they like to eat them, they will like to hunt them:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Zee you are blessed in many ways. Teaching your boy to be a man is all on you, thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    This is what matters. You will never forget these times.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Well done :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    Great job! Hunting blues with a .22 has got to be a lot of fun, especially for a little boy. It is very exciting, even with a shotgun.
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    He is hooked now. He may have momma's hair but he has your face.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    Not exactly your standard short-stocked 20 gauge. . .way cool!:cool2:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Great times
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    Congrats on a good first experience!
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    Nice haircut on that young man. Too many kids these days look like a mop head.

Quail with a Charger - that's on my list now!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. It is rewarding, sharing your passion with your child.
    On a side note, what's quail taste like? Can't recall ever having it.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    Sarge wrote: »

Tastes like quail!
    Pretty much like quail as modified by their recent diet.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Really good. Better than chicken by far.
    JKP wrote: »
    Tastes like quail!
    NN wrote: »
    Pretty much like quail as modified by their recent diet.

Yeah yeah smart ones ;) But I mean, is it a greasy meat or what? It's hard to imagine what quail tastes like if you've never tasted it! Hah.
    Yeah yeah smart ones ;) But I mean, is it a greasy meat or what? It's hard to imagine what quail tastes like if you've never tasted it! Hah.

Imagine chicken with better flavor.
    Many food items taste like their own peculiar flavor, it is like asking what does a carrot taste like----nothing else but a carrot.

All the quail I've shot were white meat, breast and legs--they tend to be dry so care must be taken not to dry them out----they could be greasey if cooked in grease.
    bottom line is they taste like quail,

I have only had bobwhite and California varieties.
    Zee wrote: »
    Imagine chicken with better flavor.
    Many food items taste like their own peculiar flavor, it is like asking what does a carrot taste like----nothing else but a carrot.

All the quail I've shot were white meat, breast and legs--they tend to be dry so care must be taken not to dry them out----they could be greasey if cooked in grease.
    bottom line is they taste like quail,

It does remind me of when I was in basic, first time I ever had an MRE, Drill Sergeant Harris - I'll never forget that name. Passed 'em out, we were all sittin' in the dirt, breaking open the MRE and all this. After a minute of eating, Harris yells out "How's that grade A cuisine taste, fellas?" I yelled back "Tastes like puke Drill Sergeant!" because I was apparently glutton for punishment. Harris crouches down in front of me goes "What's wrong, Jack rabbit? Just imagine it tastes like chicken. Except better."
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Quail=Favorite game bird
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    All this about his first quail, but nobody said anything about the skill he displayed. That isn't a given shot. It requires a good bit of skill to take a quail with a hand gun. That's a very small target for a long gun, much less a pistol. Please tell him great shooting. That's awesome! It being his first makes it even more awesome.
    I think we all have stories about our kids first. But with a pistol, that's special.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I like C-rats better, esp. eggs and lima beans
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    :beer:
    Support your local Scouts!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Nice job to both the young man and Dad.....I was about that age when I killed my first pheasant...out the window of the truck, with a rifle, while the bird was on the ground and a day out of season....each and everything about it was illegal in the State of Kansas. Dad informed me of all the stuff I did wrong, showed me how to dress it and said he hoped I enjoyed it....A day later season opened and I spent the rest of it hunting toting around an empty shotgun until the last day when Dad set me up to do it right....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Quail=Favorite game bird

This...:agree:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I like C-rats better, esp. eggs and lima beans

Eggs and Lima Beans? Now that right there is Strange brew Ned. Did you ever try em with Pinto Beans?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

To me it taste like chicken with enhanced flavor. It can be a little dry if you don't know how to cook it, but breaded in flour and fried it is wonderful. Whup you up some mashed taters and good country gravy and you got a meal fit for a king.
    It does remind me of when I was in basic, first time I ever had an MRE, Drill Sergeant Harris - I'll never forget that name. Passed 'em out, we were all sittin' in the dirt, breaking open the MRE and all this. After a minute of eating, Harris yells out "How's that grade A cuisine taste, fellas?" I yelled back "Tastes like puke Drill Sergeant!" because I was apparently glutton for punishment. Harris crouches down in front of me goes "What's wrong, Jack rabbit? Just imagine it tastes like chicken. Except better."

Hey Sarge, I think your Drill Sargent was a very benevolent feller, cause if that woulda been my oldest nephew, I think you would still be doing pushups, LOL!
    snake284 wrote: »
    Hey Sarge, I think your Drill Sargent was a very benevolent feller, cause if that woulda been my oldest nephew, I think you would still be doing pushups, LOL!

Oh I had the pleasure of pushing the ground while attempting to eat my MRE. I was told that if I was hungry, I could push and eat at the same time. That was quite fun. Basically every time I went down, I'd grab a bite to eat with my mouth. He was driving home the point of all the way down, all the way up, too. Then of course I stood up after we were finished and had food all over the damn place. So then another Drill Sergeant got me because I looked like a slob. He got me with jumping jacks, though. Then Harris got me again because I had got some of the food on the ground, that I shouldn't be wasting his grade A cosine that he had provided for all of us. So back to pushin' I went. Fun times!

Yeah see, I was a bit of a smart arse, and had my fair share of run in's with my Drill Sergeants. Sometimes I just couldn't help myself! On graduation day, my family was there - my siblings had attended, well who could get leave. Harris comes up to me, I didn't even see him come up behind me, right? He yells my last name, I turn around, pretty sure I was pale in the face. "Start pushin'!" I dropped right down in my dress blues, "One Drill Sergeant! Two Drill Sergeant! Three Drill Sergeant!" Harris goes "I meant, your hand in mine, jack rabbit." Told me "You're a fine soldier, and it won't be long before you've got an arm of stripes of your own. Maybe even some bars."

Last I heard, that satanic man had him some captain's bars and was back in the infantry leading a company with the airborne. Guess what they say is true. Blood of the infantry runs deep.