Home Main Category Hunting

My son's first quail and intro to handgun hunting!

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That's awesome! What other kind of quail do you guys have down there? I believe there are a several different species outside of the bobwhites and blues running around in TX.

Oh, and color me impressed twice over: you can't fit a lot of shot in those CCI .22 shotshells. :tooth:

Thanks.

Bobs and Blues in my area.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Sarge wrote: »
    Oh I had the pleasure of pushing the ground while attempting to eat my MRE. I was told that if I was hungry, I could push and eat at the same time. That was quite fun. Basically every time I went down, I'd grab a bite to eat with my mouth. He was driving home the point of all the way down, all the way up, too. Then of course I stood up after we were finished and had food all over the damn place. So then another Drill Sergeant got me because I looked like a slob. He got me with jumping jacks, though. Then Harris got me again because I had got some of the food on the ground, that I shouldn't be wasting his grade A cosine that he had provided for all of us. So back to pushin' I went. Fun times!

Yeah see, I was a bit of a smart arse, and had my fair share of run in's with my Drill Sergeants. Sometimes I just couldn't help myself! On graduation day, my family was there - my siblings had attended, well who could get leave. Harris comes up to me, I didn't even see him come up behind me, right? He yells my last name, I turn around, pretty sure I was pale in the face. "Start pushin'!" I dropped right down in my dress blues, "One Drill Sergeant! Two Drill Sergeant! Three Drill Sergeant!" Harris goes "I meant, your hand in mine, jack rabbit." Told me "You're a fine soldier, and it won't be long before you've got an arm of stripes of your own. Maybe even some bars."

Last I heard, that satanic man had him some captain's bars and was back in the infantry leading a company with the airborne. Guess what they say is true. Blood of the infantry runs deep.

Hehehe! I really don't have a clue what that's like. The army wouldn't even have my sorry ass during Vietnam. I tried, oh how I tried! I was stupid enough to even try to join but I flunked my physical. They turned me down in October 1969.

But there's more to that story. I was working for one of the most influential men in the Country. He was good friends with LBJ and Conely brothers and if you worked for him and he needed you, all his people had to do was make a call. I later figured out what happened. But at the time, I thought I was a pretty big dumbass getting turned down for the Army in 1969. Those were the days they"d bend you over and if they didn"t see daylight you were in

My youngest son is 82 Airborne in Alaska. He's been in almost 11 years. He's an E7. My oldest nephew is an E-9 SM and his youngest brother is a Lt Col. and has a command in Saudi now. All 3 of them 82nd Airborne.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • SargeSarge Member Wherever the action isPosts: 324 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Hehehe! I really don't have a clue what that's like. The army wouldn't even have my sorry ass during Vietnam. I tried, oh how I tried! I was stupid enough to even try to join but I flunked my physical. They turned me down in October 1969.

But there's more to that story. I was working for one of the most influential men in the Country. He was good friends with LBJ and Conely brothers and if you worked for him and he needed you, all his people had to do was make a call. I later figured out what happened. But at the time, I thought I was a pretty big dumbass getting turned down for the Army in 1969. Those were the days they"d bend you over and if they didn"t see daylight you were in

My youngest son is 82 Airborne in Alaska. He's been in almost 11 years. He's an E7. My oldest nephew is an E-9 SM and his youngest brother is a Lt Col. and has a command in Saudi now. All 3 of them 82nd Airborne.

The 82nd has good folks in it, that's where I started off. They've all got more time (and rank) then me, though. I'm an E6, currently.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    Ok. That's enough. I'm getting misty-eyed now.

Seriously, great jobs done all around.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Zee some great things with your son lately.
    I enjoy seeing and hearing about them.

I think you have a pretty good friend in that rancher.
    He certainly is enjoying the experience as much as you.

Kiddos to the man