Home Main Category General Firearms

Price check please

JayJay Senior MemberNew Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,547 Senior Member
Used but appears to be in excellent condition Nikon Prostaff, 4-12x40 BDC reticle. Includes Leupold rings. $125.

Seems like a decent deal to me, if the item is as described and pictured. Thoughts? Go with it or hold out to try to pick up a 3-9x40 for less if possible?

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,547 Senior Member
    I ask because I have never bought a Nikon scope. I know what they seem to be going for new. Not used.
    He's advertising it with Weaver rings, but those appear to be Leupold, weaver style rings to me.
    That's why I thought the might be Leupold. I have a set of them and they appear to be the same. Could be wrong.

I have a 4-12x44 on my 243. Works well for me. Especially being able to see the little 6mm holes on target. Not needed so much with a 30 cal, but I like the ability to zoom in if needed and generally find 4x to be ok for closer range hunting. Plus, with the BDC reticle, it could possibly be pushed a little further than my original 200 yard range estimate I set when I started this project....

Asked the seller about the glass on it. That would be my main concern, since there's no pics of the glass. He SAYS the glass is perfect. He says the only reason he didn't post any pics of it is because he couldn't get any that didn't make it look bad.

With those rings, I have little doubt there is some damage to the tube where they are and that's why he's leaving them. Those ring tops go over the tube very tight and have to be "snapped" on over the tube. I'm sure the tube is scratched from them.
    Heck guys, I done talked myself into it. I messaged the seller back and forth and he seems honest. Said he's not aware of any damage from the rings because he has not and is not going to remove them. I didn't ask why.

In any case, it seems like a very good condition scope for a fair price. $134 shipped. So I have a grand total of $294 invested in the Axis and Nikon scope. If there's a few scratches on it, I'll live with it....

Thanks for your help, guys.
    I enabled myself that time.... with a little help from Knite.

I'm almost willing to bet those are Leupold PRW rings. I can find no Weaver rings that look like that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362122288/leupold-prw-permanent-weaver-style-rings-matte
    knitepoet wrote: »
    What'd I do :confused:

I said a little....

You didn't say not to.... so I figure you it's kinda your fault too..
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    If it is a side focus model, I would have gladly bought it for that price. If not, I can't say. I'm a Nikon guy, though, and have a side focus 4-12x40 Buckmaster on my .30-06 M70 that has been great.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    I ask because I have never bought a Nikon scope. I know what they seem to be going for new. Not used.

For that price I'd be all over it. One thing about the higher power Nikons, they are so clear that they need a sun shade. I use one sun shade on three rifles. I have one 6-10x 40 on my .223, one on my .22-250, and one 4.5-14x40 on my .250 Savage. These are all Buck Masters. I don't need a Sun Screen on my 3-9X40 Prostaff, but I've seen when it was real bright outside things were getting borderline. And I have heard of one case on here that somebody on here had a 4-12X40 Prostaff that needed one. A sunscreen helps keep down glare on the higher magnification models and makes for a better sight picture. One size fits all, that is if it's the same objective size, such as 40 MM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jay wrote: »
    That's why I thought the might be Leupold. I have a set of them and they appear to be the same. Could be wrong.

I have a 4-12x44 on my 243. Works well for me. Especially being able to see the little 6mm holes on target. Not needed so much with a 30 cal, but I like the ability to zoom in if needed and generally find 4x to be ok for closer range hunting. Plus, with the BDC reticle, it could possibly be pushed a little further than my original 200 yard range estimate I set when I started this project....

Asked the seller about the glass on it. That would be my main concern, since there's no pics of the glass. He SAYS the glass is perfect. He says the only reason he didn't post any pics of it is because he couldn't get any that didn't make it look bad.

With those rings, I have little doubt there is some damage to the tube where they are and that's why he's leaving them. Those ring tops go over the tube very tight and have to be "snapped" on over the tube. I'm sure the tube is scratched from them.

I had tight fitting Weaver steel rings on a four power Redfield scope on my .270 for years. That scope today is on my '94 AE Winchester and there's not a scar on the scope. When I decided to put my K-6 on my .270 I replaced the rings with Leupolds on both guns. But those old Weaver Steel bands don't move. When I was piddling in the Bench Rest game back in the 80s Those rings were the choice of many a good bench rest shooter. They were ugly but they were solid.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    if you could hunt with my .30-06 once and look through that 3-9x40 Prostaff you would have bought that thing when you first saw it. For the money I will say that Prostaff is plumb amazing. It's as clear as any scope I have and really good in low light. I paid $160 for it brand new and that was a real steal.
    Got back in town today and this scope was waiting for me. It is as close to brand new as you can get. Not a visible scratch or imperfection on it. I just finished mounting it to the Axis and had to move the rings a little. Not a mark on it where the rings were. If someone put this scope in a factory box, I'd take it for a brand new scope. And the rings are, without a doubt, Leupold PRW rings. So, $275 worth of scope and rings for $134 shipped. I'll take it.