Home Main Category General Firearms

Advice request - reloading .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberMiami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
I purchased 100 Magtech 98 gr .32 caliber LRN lead bullets about two years ago anticipating reloading them into my .32 H&R mags and .32 S&W long. I am using Unique as my powder and CCI small pistol primers. The bullets are pretty soft, as I can scratch them with a #2 pencil.

I can find a load for the .32 S&W Long, at 2.7 gr Unique, but not the .32 H&R magnum. It's such a small difference, the H&R case is just .155 inches longer. What has me concerned is the significant changes in charges from 90 gr to 100 gr bullets. The Lyman Lead Bullet Reloading handbook lists the following:

.32 S&W Long
93 gr LRN max load 3.1 gr Unique ( Lee bullet 311-93-1R )
100 gr SWC max load 2.6 gr Unique ( Saeco bullet # 326 )

.32 H&R Magnum
93 gr LRN max load 3.2 gr Unique ( Lee bullet 311-93-1R )
100 gr SWC max load 2.7 gr Unique ( Saeco bullet # 326 )

Since these bullets come in at 98 gr, they are pretty close to 100 gr, but not seated as deep. Just about .255 inches is seated to the crimp mark and the base is modestly concave, leaving about 0.57 inches of chamber space in the S&W Long and 0.725 inches of chamber space in the H&R magnum.

I have settled on 2.7 Gr of Unique for the H&R case and 2.5 gr of Unique for the S&W Long.

Is it enough to go pop or too little, or too much ?

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    I think you'll be fine.
    I'd load up a couple to try, see how they shoot.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Those loads should be just fine. Like jbohio said, load a few and see what you think. Just a FYI, your accuracy load will be closer to the start load than the max load, from what I've found with my .32 pistols.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member KentuckyPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Search "loading the .32 long" and you will find several good loads , I liked the loading with Bullseye and Unique for the 98 and 100 grain bullets. I think I will get me a set of dies for the .32 long/.32 magnum and try them. Should be mild enough for the little lady.