Home Main Category General Firearms

Chassis V Fiberglass Stock

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberGlobal NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
Chassis systems on bolt action rifles seem to be steadily growing in popularity. Besides being able to use AR buttstocks, etc, what advantages do these offer over traditional fiberglass stocks from HS Precision, McMillan, etc?

Specifically, I intend to purchase a precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor this year. I have found out that I qualify for a generous discount on Savage rifles which has me looking at their offerings instead of a Ruger Precision Rifle.

My use will mostly be paper punching and some steel shooting from the bench and prone out to 1000yds. I'm interested in Precision Rifle competitions but realistically cannot make the time to compete.

I am looking at the model 12 LRP and the model 10 BA Stealth specifically.

Savage Model 12 LRP (link)

ZUHyCoPUj_adefc2cada157049c5a2fcaef4220e92.png

Savage Model 10 BA Stealth (link)

4bfe91e3d15b6589cdd05c21099f8c10_1b154040cb0d7a7d55f638171564081e.png

I am leaning towards the 10 BA Stealth because, although it's butt ugly, as a sum of its parts it seems like you get more for your money (detachable mags, threaded, base already included, blue printed action, etc).
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,038 Senior Member
    One thing I've noticed with some builders is that they're moving the bipod/front bag mount closer in line with the barrel, some makers even mounting the leg hinge points in line with the barrel. Sako does that:
    [http://gundata.org/data/guns/Beretta-Sako-TRG-22-.308-Win-e99ae757113f211213b978a2e5b736ba.jpg/img]

From that I've read, that makes the rifle recoil pretty much straight back with less "hop." So the Stealth looks like it has that advantage.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I would get the Stealth. I have a Savage with the bottom bolt release and sourcing all the right parts for good bottom metal is a bear. They are available... sometimes and then they are expensive. Plus there are fewer options for stocks.

Being threaded already just saves time later.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Chassis systems on bolt action rifles seem to be steadily growing in popularity. Besides being able to use AR buttstocks, etc, what advantages do these offer over traditional fiberglass stocks from HS Precision, McMillan, etc?

Specifically, I intend to purchase a precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor this year. I have found out that I qualify for a generous discount on Savage rifles which has me looking at their offerings instead of a Ruger Precision Rifle.

My use will mostly be paper punching and some steel shooting from the bench and prone out to 1000yds. I'm interested in Precision Rifle competitions but realistically cannot make the time to compete.

I am looking at the model 12 LRP and the model 10 BA Stealth specifically.

Savage Model 12 LRP (link)

ZUHyCoPUj_adefc2cada157049c5a2fcaef4220e92.png

Savage Model 10 BA Stealth (link)

4bfe91e3d15b6589cdd05c21099f8c10_1b154040cb0d7a7d55f638171564081e.png

I am leaning towards the 10 BA Stealth because, although it's butt ugly, as a sum of its parts it seems like you get more for your money (detachable mags, threaded, base already included, blue printed action, etc).

You got that right, that Model 10 is one Butt Ugly Som Bich. But for what you're looking at doing with it, I like it. I especially like the LOP adjustment on the Butt Stock. And the detach mags. If you're on a course of fire you don't have time to be pushing rounds in from the top one at a time. And there's the main point of accuracy. That thing is sturdy and rigid which makes for very accurate rifles. And you COULD hunt with it. Just keep it in the case til you got out in the field so nobody laughs their ass off at you,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm a bit old fashioned. I HATE moving parts on a precision gun so AR stocks, unless they are fixed or lockable to the point of having NO play, are out for me.
    Agree. The only workable solution I have found for a lockable stock that can operate in a precise enough manner for longer range varmint work are the Magpul options. Specifically, I use the CTR and ACS series for lockable, adjustable AR stocks that are rock solid.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    The 12.

The action is much stiffer, and the target Accutrigger is pretty sweet. I turned mine UP to 8 Oz from the factory settings.

The model 12 target actions are about twice the size of a 10, and have 3 action screws, solid bottom.
    More better for long range work, IMO
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    The 12 for me.
    For your uses I believe it would be best.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    That Model 10 chassis is uglier than most but I think changing the stock and pistol grip for a more vertical one would do a lot for its looks. That stock looks just looks cheap and it is too busy.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member
    I may be wrong but I would think the 12 would be much better in a bench setting. The 10 seems to be better suited for use with a bipod.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    At this point I need to ask: What is the difference between the 10 and 12 actions? I was under the impression that there really wasn't any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Yep. I should have clicked the link. Can't be a 3 screw with a magazine.
    I guess I should have specified, there is a regular 12 action, and a 12 Target.

Anyway, all 12s have a closed, or semi closed top, stiffer. They're a target action, where 10s are utilitarian.

Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with a 10/110. I've put together a couple nice rifles on 10/110 actions, and plan to build a big, heavy 338 on a 110.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member
    It almost sounds like the 10 is a better option should I choose to switch barrels around.
    Regular 12 actions have the standard thread pattern. It's the 12 Target actions that have the big shank.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    My 12 doesn't have a closed top, is that a newer feature?

I want to put mine on an MDT Chassis. Cheap flimsy stock on it now, so it's gotta be replaced, might as well go chassis
    I may have found the best of both worlds. I've tracked down a 12 LRP in 6.5 sitting in a McRees G5 chassis, w/ 20 MOA base included, for well under the sum of its parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That will work awesome.
    Dad 5-31-13