Home Main Category General Firearms

Picked up my guns at my Gun Smith

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
My gun smith called this morning and said he had all three of my guns ready and I could come get them when I had a chance. I called my friend Arnold up and we went to Refugio. That's about a 50-60 mile drive, so about 1:00 P.M. We took off. When we got there he was working on scoping a Model 60 Marlin for somebody. But he put that aside and went through everything he'd done.

My Savage 110 7MM Rem. Mag had experienced a few failures to fire since I'd started using CCI Primers. He took the bolt apart and cleaned the inside and made some adjustments. Then he tried it out with 3 different primers and it fired with all three.

Then he worked over the trigger of my exes Model 700 ADL Sythetic .243 Win. with one of the recalled X Mark Pro Triggers. He cleaned it up and changed a spring and polished the sear and trigger. It is so much better than it was you would swear it was a different trigger. It breaks like a dry twig at about 2 1/2 pounds.

Then lastly, he took my Savage Mark II 22 LR Walmart Wonder's trigger apart and cleaned it up and did some magic on it and got it breaking about 2 pounds. Before this it was breaking at about 6-8 pounds. 2 pounds is right where Rifle Basix said it should break with that sear and the springs that came with the sear from Rifle Basix.

All this he only charged me $80 for. He usually charges $40.00 per trigger job on one gun. Not bad for working on three different guns and getting great results.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Thornton COPosts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Time to make some gunsmoke:guns:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Time to make some gunsmoke:guns:

Yeah, high time. I want to shoot that .22 tomorrow. And my 57 year old browning A5 Sweet 16.

The Browning is the one I'm really fired up about. That thing is Ultra Sweet.

I fixed the cracked forend. Tomorrow I will get a new front bead put on it.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,566 Senior Member
    Good work for a more than fair rate is rare. Have fun shooting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    He definitely treated you right!! Gotta give us some range reports now!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds good. Now they are fixed, get out and blast away and post a Range Report. :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Sounds good. Now they are fixed, get out and blast away and post a Range Report. :guns: :guns:

Yes, He is very reasonable and a damn good local gun smith. He can think through a problem and come up with a fix as fast as I ever saw anybody. He reminds me of Teach. He has a great storehouse of knowledge in his head. Every time I talk to that guy I learn something. He's not always this fast because guns are not his bread and butter, but they are his passion. But he has to make a living and that's in oil field machine work. He's very old fashion and simple. You won't see a fancy car at his shop unless it's one of his millionaire clients. He drives an old 60s vintage Chevy pickup. He has his hair cut like something out of a 60s beach movie. Pomp and flair don't tweak his string at all. But you want your gun fixed "he's da man."