Home Main Category Hunting

.30cal Hornady168gr ELD-Match = Range/Field Report

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Posts: 28,399 Senior Member
    Well, I decided to stop speculating and just call Hornady.

The gentleman I spoke to said that the only differences between the .30cal 168gr A-Max and ELd-Match bullet are as follows:

1. Redesign of the boat tail to a shallower angle and longer tail.
    2. The above caused a shift in the weight distribution and therefore a redesign of the front to a sharper angle were necessary.
    3. A harder polymer tip.

Other than that, the composition of the core and jacket material and thickness are the same. They are not a "softer" bullet.

When I asked about the apparent rapid expansion, the only thing he could think of was the harder tip driving into the core of the bullet and........being harder.......causing a more dramatic expansion as the core and jacket parted around the less forgiving tip.

I asked if they were going to discontinue the 168gr A-Max and or the TAP line of ammunition He said "No". There were too many long term Le contracts with that ammo and bullet, including the 155gr A-Max to discontinue the bullets and ammo. It would not be a smart business/financial move for them.

This makes me happy.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I'm still gonna do a whole bunch of terminal testing with the 168gr ELD-Match for science. I got'em..........might as well.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Since I don't care about the .308 Amax, you should have asked about the .243 105 Amax.
    I think they are already discontinued. They have already released the eld version, and Midway had the Amax on clearance. I got 600 at 20 per 100. Midway no longer lists the A max.
    Quit raining on my parade. I saw some 105 on clearance at academy. $16 per box. Of course, they were all gone. I scoured the selves, and even asked the tool behind the counter of they had any hidden.

I've got 1,000 of them. I'm set for a little while.

I got mine!!!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've got maybe 100. Then it's back to the HPBT. Or, something else. They are getting a bit proud of their bullets. Maybe they are worth the extra. Maybe not. But they are creeping up into "fancy bullet" money.

I just got a Natchez flyer in the mail today and they show the 105's in stock for 23.50 a box.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me