'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,419 Senior Member
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/27/can-hear-me-scam-has-police-urging-people-to-hang-up-immediately.html

Or are you the homeowner to get you to say "Yes"..............hmmm.......No I'm a Squatter............Click................or maybe as our British friends say **** Off then click...... :spittingcoffee: :spittingcoffee:
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• therewolftherewolf Member Posts: 90 Member
    Your bank will NOT text you, either.

They are "phishing", a response can cost you a major

ripoff.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    My response these days is "don't ever ing call me again. "
    Did it to "GE Security" just last week. It had been awhile since I'd been called by a security company. Had one ADT authorized dealer that would NOT stop calling. Finally had the time to waste, so I strung the sales guy along for 30 minutes. Having been in that business, I know how to excite the sales folk. After about half an hour I pointed out every BS thing he had told me, and said I hoped NOW they would get the point to QUIT CALLING.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,419 Senior Member
    Hello, this is the Captain speaking (Ships Fog Horn sounding in the background....) you are eligible to take a friend free of charge on your next Caribbean Cruise .........................yeah right. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch, as they say.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Wild DogWild Dog Banned Posts: 67 Member
    One time some dirtbag tried this on the Wild Dog, it didn't end too well for him. Thanks to some sophisticated electronic tracking equipment donated to me by 'The Company' for services past rendered, tracking the scum was as simple as breathing. When I caught up to the piece of filth, he was in his bathroom. Bending over to splash water on his face from the sink, the last thing he saw when he straightened was my grinning mug starring at him from the mirror as I stood behind him.
    Woof Woof, Dirtbag!!!
    Wild Dog wrote: »
    ........... Bending over to splash water on his face from the sink, the last thing he saw when he straightened was my grinning mug starring at him from the mirror as I stood behind him.

Did you use some Vaseline :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:
  • Wild DogWild Dog Banned Posts: 67 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Did you use some Vaseline :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :spittingcoffee:

I went in dry.:cool:
    Woof Woof, Dirtbag!!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,622 Senior Member
    I don't get a lot of legitimate calls. I look at the area code first. If I don't recognize it, and the number, and the caller I.D. is blocked, it just rings until they hang up.

I DO get a lot of people that dialed the wrong number, both on landline and cell phone. My landline # is easy to dial in error when people are calling the local pharmacy. I've had fun with that one.

The spelling of my first name gives me a gigantic clue as to whether the person on the other end of the line knows me, or not. Mispronouncing my first name is a sure bet that they DON'T know me and are a salesperson, scammer, or general anus chapeau. That gets the "I don't know you, goodbye" response.

If they happen to actually get my name right and ask if it is me they are talking to, I answer, "Who do think would be answering the phone?".

For answering calls from numbers that you don't recognize the following responses can be fun:

Midnight Auto Parts, our deals are steals!
    Clancy's pool hall, Clancy speaking.
    Hello there!(Insert fake station here, like WZDY FM 83) You're on the air! What's your name and where are you from?!!!
    FBI Interstate Fraud Unit. Officer Smudgins speaking. To whom may I direct your call?

If it's a recorded robocall, then you haven't given out any info and can listen for the opt out at the end. If it's a real person they are thrown off their memorized spiel and you can have some fun. Be creative and give 'em Hell! :tooth:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    I've done the witty thing, trying to throw them off. I'm over it. Now it's a simple eff ewe, don't call again. Ain't nobody got time for that!
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,088 Senior Member
    "I'm so lonely- - - - -will you be my special friend tonight? Can you guess what I'm doing right now?"
    :devil:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    therewolf wrote: »
    Your bank will NOT text you, either.

Mine will. When I went to Wisconsin for Christmas, they texted me to ask if I made a gas charge in Indiana. Which I did.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Mine will. When I went to Wisconsin for Christmas, they texted me to ask if I made a gas charge in Indiana. Which I did.

Yep, but you have to sign up for extra security alerts like emails and texts. Or the banks/credit card companies I use offer that option.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,038 Senior Member
    , the last thing he saw when he straightened was my grinning mug starring at him from the mirror as I stood behind him.
    This is not funny, as it states you committed a crime
    and violated forum rule #5.
    I have a need for speed
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    This is not funny, as it states you committed a crime-

He logged back in?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,088 Senior Member
    Maybe he can come to the SE shoot and talk to my garden- - - -I'd save a fortune on fertilizer!
    :rotflmao:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

What's the crime Ned? Dry Buggering a Telemarketer.................:jester:
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What's the crime Ned? Dry Buggering a Telemarketer.................:jester:
    Nope he is trying to indicate beating him blind or killing him.

I know it is all fake; but, decorum is decorum
    rules are rules
    I have a need for speed
    Pure fiction is what his posts are. Dime novel stuff. Gettin old. Their are other (writers) forums where it can be shared and appreciated more than here. He does have a flair for that genres type of prose, not bad for what it is.

Not up to me if he stays or is :banned:

Not doing any real harm, but not necessarily any good coming from them either.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    I went in dry.:cool:
    Which one was Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor and which was Al Borland?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    :spittingcoffee:
    shush wrote: »
    He logged back in?

This went unappreciated. It shouldn't have.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member
    Shortly after first reading this thread, I got a call from 876 area code. Since I don't know anyone in Kingston, Jamaica, I didn't answer the call. I know it was a scam, just don't know which one. Not that it matters. The first scam call and only the second unsolicited call since I've had my cellphone. The first was trying to sell me a credit card or something. I didn't listen to the entire thing, but it came supposedly from a GA area code.

I find it hard to believe scammers can exist in today's information age. I think they prey on old people and those who believe they've won a prize or that IRS or the FBI actually will call them with demands for money in lieu of going to jail...or so they claim.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I just got what may have been one with a 225 area code and then first 3 digits were 900 then XXXX but they hung up, maybe a wrong number is why I didn't post the last 4.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,045 Senior Member
    I get them non stop. Back in the day, I used to have a Yellow Pages ad when I dealt with the general public. My construction company still shows up in certain searches so I get tons of automated spam calls and jackasses trying to sell me everything under the sun.
    Clean got the subject call----she said NO
    they hung up.

She now knows to just hang up
    thanks!
    I have a need for speed
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,308 Senior Member
    nomorobo.com has stopped the vast majority of those types of calls for me. It takes 1 ring for it to kick in, so I wait for a second ring before I even think of answering.

The live ones that do get through normally get, "No, you're a Fing scammer. Eat S____ and die you ____tard"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

:spittingcoffee:

This went unappreciated. It shouldn't have.

"O poverty in wit, kingly-poor flout!"

I should stop caring.:tissue:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush wrote: »
    "O poverty in wit, kingly-poor flout!"

I should stop caring.:tissue:

Man quit speaking that Shakespearean English and speak regular British which a a little easier to comprehend. You are dealing with regular Salt of the Earth 'Mericans, not Rhodes Scholars on here :tooth:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,835 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I get them non stop. Back in the day, I used to have a Yellow Pages ad when I dealt with the general public. My construction company still shows up in certain searches so I get tons of automated spam calls and jackasses trying to sell me everything under the sun.

Pretty much the same for me. If I don't get twenty calls a week from "Lisa" (or Karen, Jennie, whatever) from "card member services", or "membership support" I start to get a little self conscious. Funny, the voice is nearly always the same, but the names, locations and sometimes businsses change. Some asshat gave my number out to one of the local dealerships a while back, and also to a couple of the timeshare places that leave a car/ boat/ truck/ atv in the malls....it took FOREVER to get them to quit calling.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,093 Senior Member
    I still get calls from companies wanting to sell me an extended warranty on a car I traded in 4 1/2 years ago. The last time I got such a call, which was about a month ago, they started off by asking how many miles I had on it.

When I told them 950,000, they were in disbelief and hung up shortly thereafter.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,093 Senior Member

I agree. While most in here know that deputy dawg is just a goofball there may be some visitors who don't know this. He has alluded to engaging in vendettas and extreme retaliation for silly stuff. Perhaps the mods need to jerk a knot in his tail to let him know where the line has been drawn.

I will have to admit, though, that I've come to enjoy his posts just to see how silly they are. It's entertaining, but he needs to realize it's not just his reputation he's impacting.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I agree..............but we need to realize it's not just his reputation he's impacting.

:that: