Home Main Category General Firearms

Subsonic vs. Hi-Vel - A fun test.

2»

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,677 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    Take another shot at it, ya can't hurt him!

That's what I was thinking. Lance it again!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    That's up to my friend.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I shot a deer with gangrene of a hind leg
    smelly a tad it was.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I think I'd go with a 45gr hp at full speed next time, low on the abscess. No chance of that getting plugged up,before it drains.

You apparently haven't seen some of the stuff that can come out of an abscess like that. We are talking cheese churd chunky gravy stuff, only kinda bloody and smells worse. Like poutine, French fries and all.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    Really needs a knife, a squeeze, and about a gallon of peroxide pumped from a pressure washer, but in the interest of the original effort, seems like a job for a wadcutter, or an SXT - something that's going to tear it's way out and avoid the stretch-and-close problems of skin elasticity. I fear the little guy's done.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Interesting thread....could have been posted in the "hunting" sub-forum but this is really about the ballistics & effects rather than actually getting prey.
    At first I also thought "that's a job for a subsonic .22LR" but is true that the stuff inside that nasty abscess must be far from liquid content. Remembered when the wife got bit by a spider in the back of the leg and refused any medical treatment (Spaniards are famous for being stubborn) until she literally grew another knee, finally accepting to be taken to the E.R. due to the pain; had to help the doctor in charge to subdue her and what came out of the wound wasn't liquid at all! (Nor smelling like flowers).

You gave the poor animal a chance to make it; chances are low but better than none anyway; hope that if the infection ends up killing it anyway, at least you can recover the carcass to examine the actual results of the "surgical procedure". VERY interesting post in my opinion.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Way back when I was in high school my dog used to fight with the neighbor's mutt on a regular basis. On one occasion he grew a grapefruit-sized goiter and was in obvious distress. I found the bite wound that began the problem and yanked out a plug of hair and the scab that had the hole sealed up, and released a fountain of bloody pus. Once the wound drained, he recovered pretty quickly without even a trip to the vet. We did keep the wound clean and opened up for a few days, which I'm sure helped his recovery.
    Jerry
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    I have to say this whole thread is just like dinner at the station with the new guy that everybody is trying to "puke" by telling tales of nasty calls we have run. Please, continue.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    So I just want to say. Do not go to YouTube and type in drain abscess.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What's the possibility of launching a 20 gauge slug accurately enough to open up the abscess without hitting anything lethal? That would definitely leave a drain that's not likely to heal over quickly.
    Jerry
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    this is one of the best threads I have read in a long time- how about a crossbow with a broadhead- surgical blades but still kinda like a gun- you gotta film the next attempt
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I suspect the infection has spread to areas not seen yet and without antibiotics; this won't save the deer.
    cpj wrote: »
    Your Jedi mind trick won't work on me.
    No really don't. I was curious and am no longer curious. There are things that can not be unseen.
    cpj wrote: »
    At least not for more than three videos.
    BLEH.
    I tried to warn you. It will haunt me for years.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    I wonder if there's a good possibility that its a huge abscess caused by something other than infection???
    Teach wrote: »
    What's the possibility of launching a 20 gauge slug accurately enough to open up the abscess without hitting anything lethal? That would definitely leave a drain that's not likely to heal over quickly.
    Jerry

OOOOOH! Brenneke! Those slugs are basically wadcutters. Should keep the drain open.
    WWJMBD?

Yeah, I don't think either of us have a shotgun I'd consider accurate enough to risk the shot.
    Probably a pretty good job for a Barnes, actually - the standard TSX, not the polymer-tipped kind - in that the weight you start with is the weight you end up with, and they splay out into a bit of a broadhead. Probably not quite as good at tearing an exit as a wadcutter, but more available in systems that would give the accuracy required.
    WWJMBD?

Zee wrote: »

DSC_0026_zpsbmqbhqjl.jpg

I'm not gonna hold my breath that he makes it.

We have not seen seen him since I took this pic last Saturday night. Don't look like he made it.
    Zee wrote: »
    We have not seen seen him since I took this pic last Saturday night. Don't look like he made it.
    That sucks. You tried.