Home Main Category General Firearms

Don't talk to me about Taurus quality

JRLJRL MemberPosts: 355 Member
3rd brand new Ruger revolver in a row I've purchased where the rear sight pin works its way out while shooting.

1. Ruger Blackhawk
2. Ruger GP100 .357
3. Ruger GP100 .44spl

Yes- I know how to **** the pin and use blue loctite to fix... (good I caught all three while shooting before I lost the pins)

BUT... I shouldn't HAVE to... Ruger engineering and quality control has plummeted... but we all keep buying them

0AD1ECF6-7956-41B7-933A-D8EBAAA87F12_zpsma61zdpy.jpg

:popcorn:

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Maybe you should have quit at two then. Will.you buy a forth?
  • earlyearly Senior Member Thornton COPosts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's awful, you should dump that junk off on me :jester:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ruger MKIIs were notorious for the front sight screws coming loose. Loctite fixed that. I owned a couple that did that back in the 80s as well as friends who had the same issue.

Overall quality between a Taurus and a Ruger..............no comparison to me. I won't even touch a Taurus in a gun shop and get a little nervous when shooters are in a firing lane next to me on the range firing a Taurus.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JRLJRL Member Posts: 355 Member
    Unfounded rumors die hard ;)

I've had so many brands, so many problems (some major some minor) that I cannot say that any brand is better than the other

I've had catastrophic BCG failures on an expensive AR, crappy quality construction on an expensive S&W and everything in between

I just call the manufacturer and ask politely that it be fixed
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Maybe you should have quit at two then. Will.you buy a forth?
    The 4th one is a charm
    I bought 2 Taurus
    the 2d one has a sight problem
    NN wrote: »
    I bought 2 Taurus
    the 2d one has a sight problem

My point exactly--- it can happen to Taurus, Springfield, Ruger...

Craftsmanship and quality is a lost art (mass production rules)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Some people could tear up a steel ball bearing with a feather duster- - - - - -don't hire yourself out as a house cleaner!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I gave Taurus 3 chances..................yep... a knock off of a K-22, a .38 spl (model 82) and a .22 mag revolver. Waste of my time and money. Either they seized up like the .22 lr cylinder, were just not accurate and/or the workmanship was crude as the trigger pulls.

My oldest bother has a 92 knockoff he loves (now) and has had it for a long time. After he had to send it back because the magazine fell out every time he fired a shot.

I tell folks who have their minds made up they want the monetary savings in buying a Taurus over a S&W or Ruger (even a used ones) if they get one with no issues and doesn't need to be sent back for repairs, then it is something to be proud of and its a Keeper.

I don't have to own another Taurus ever again and I'm not sure I'd take one if somebody gave it to me. That's just me YMMV.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I'll keep buying.... but paying for a brand name means nothing anymore!

But I'll keep buying, fixing, sending in...lather, rinse, repeat

I guess I'm just hyper-sensitive since my recent SA Range Officer experience (rear sight falling off- out of dovetail)

Oh well

But to tell you the truth, now that I look back, I've had far less trouble with all the $200 milsurp pistols over the years (e.g. Polish Radom P64, Zastava M57, CZ82, Hungarian FEG, etc)

Should of kept all those and never purchased the high end brands (that's what goes through my head anyway)
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,774 Senior Member
    My GP100 has been flawless but the rear sight on my 22/45 is locked in such a position in the dovetail that it can not be adjusted far enough to get closer than 6" to the right at 30'. I fixed that with a red dot as the sight does not budge at all.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    JRL wrote: »
    Unfounded rumors die hard ;)

I've had so many brands, so many problems (some major some minor) that I cannot say that any brand is better than the other

I've had catastrophic BCG failures on an expensive AR, crappy quality construction on an expensive S&W and everything in between

I just call the manufacturer and ask politely that it be fixed
    Are you related to Ned by any chance?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Thornton COPosts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I have a GP100 bought used. It's the only handgun I've ever seen that the rifling is actuall worn at the forcing cone from extensive use. It's still completely reliable and accurate. Of course it was made prior to modern QC problems.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    If you want a revolver buy a Smith. Yeah I know, Rugers are strong. But they's UGLY!!!:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Near St. LouisPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
    How can anyone be so unlucky? I've had hundreds of new and used guns and only had one fail and none had to be sent back to the factory. Gotta wonder.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Only new gun I have ever had an issue with in my life was a front sight screw came loose on my 22/45 lite. Maybe i don't have enough guns? Guess I'll go to the gun show tomorrow.

Good news is I whooped my daughters butt today. 4.5 seconds! Chalk one up for the old guys.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    How can anyone be so unlucky? I've had hundreds of new and used guns and only had one fail and none had to be sent back to the factory. Gotta wonder.

Yep.

My dad said he was always the one who got the pit in the cherry pie... Maybe I inherited that gene ;)

I don't lament over it... It's just noticeable how many have "issues" (mostly minor)

I'd estimate, if memory serves me... I've had to send back 7 guns for repair (things I couldn't fix myself)
    JRL wrote: »
    My dad said he was always the one who got the pit in the cherry pie... Maybe I inherited that gene ;)

I don't lament over it... It's just noticeable how many have "issues" (mostly minor)

I'd estimate, if memory serves me... I've had to send back 7 guns for repair (things I couldn't fix myself)
    Wow dude. I have never had to send a gun back for repair. I have had a few minor issues, but dang.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    With the first hand experiences some of us have had with "tauri" they are neither "unfounded" nor "rumors"

I wish someone had the pic , I believe was IN G&A Magazine, of a new "judge" when they first came out. Machine work looked like it was done by a drunk monkey with a dull chisel
    Didn't calebib post on that pic?
    cpj wrote: »
    Buford
    :that:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member

I've only bought 12 or so new guns, and have had three go back..... Loose rib on a Mossberg, Springfield Loaded slide wouldn't return to battery, and barrel peening on my Kahr PM9.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I had a 11-87 that would not feed----they wanted it back and then they lost it after sending a notice it was received.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I'm sure Taurus has had more than its share of lemons, but the biggest and best names in the biz haven't gotten off so lightly either. Can you say R-e-m-I-n-g-t-o-n? Recalls and product failures from shotguns to rifles to pistols, Geeezus what a mess. Winchester got so misdirected it ended going boobs-up. As for most of the others - recalls galore - Google it.

But as even a stopped clock is right twice a day, Taurus gets it right now and then. The .380ACP 738TCP has earned kudos from every reviewer and tester. A superb trigger, made-in-America quality, and all for under two bills. I love mine. It gets shot plenty and has never failed to function with, so far, about half a dozen different brands and kinds of ammunition. It's my everyday carry gun, and I have complete confidence in its reliability and accuracy.

I've seen a lot of very good press about the large frame 8 shot Taurus model 608 revolver in .357 Magnum. The price-value relationship doesn't get much better.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Had a 38 special Taurus back in the day of stupidity. Think I pawned it for drugs at the time. I came out ahead.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member North DakotaPosts: 2,984 Senior Member
    Bought a 44 sp Taurus in 1995 and has been a good revolver but figured I was lucky and stopped with that one.
    Bought a Romanian 22 that was in nearly like new condition (in California), went to pick it up after the 10 day wait and was told had to send all of them in for safety repair. When I went to pick my rifle up they hand me a beat up rifle, said that they had no way to get the same rifle back and that one was all they had left.
    Bought a Norinco 9mm and got a letter to send it in for safety repair, fixed it myself!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    A Taurus beats a sharp stick but only because the Taurus is easier to throw accurately.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    A Taurus beats a sharp stick but only because the Taurus is easier to throw accurately.

You must have missed the Taurus/paracord flail thread.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    You must have missed the Taurus/paracord flail thread.

Must have been asleep that day. I wish I had thought of it when I had my Taurus, that would have doubled its usefulness.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I gave my PT 92 to #2 son because he needed something better than a S&W Sigma.
    That PT 92 always shot perfect.

The PT 101-11 is the one with the sight issue, the adj for height won't stay is place unless the screw is all the way in.
    The gun shoots great and with the screw all the way in, it is no different that shooting a mil style 1911, youz just have to know where to aim.
    The only problem I had with it was when I put some .45acp in the mag and it would not chamber a rnd. :uhm: