Home Main Category General Firearms

Frog Lube/other similar products may not good for your guns as lube

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Ernie's post on Coconut Oil for case lube got me thunking (that can be dangerous I know).

Since they say Frog Lube contains mostly Coconut Oil plus other stuff for smell and color. I have never used it, but this may interest to you that do or maybe thunking about using it or Coconut Oil for a gun lube/cleaner.

I'm not condemning Frog Lube or similar products using Coconut Oil or Lanolin mixtures, but maybe should watch videos on YouTube/read up and make your own mind up before trying them on your guns.

Maybe the petroleum based products are best after all, I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9z1GDyH3x4
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I tried some Hoppes non-toxic cleaner which works, but you have to remove it and apply oil because it can cause your guns to rust if you don't, so I'm back to using good ole #9 for the most part.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    What is that penetrating oil Teach uses that gets into the microscopic "Pores" of steel?

It will hit me in a couple hours..............maybe my thought process is...................."****" BDC on the flywheel marks.. :conehead: :conehead: :tooth:
    What is in Bore Butter for smokepoles? I had a tube of that I used on a Navy Arms .50 cal BP rifle I owned years ago.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I don't use any industry specific lubes at this time. I used friction defense for a while and liked it OK, but found it worked no better than many far cheaper automotive options. I use trans fluid, or motor oil for most of my lube needs. On my M1A and AK's I use a little synthetic grease also.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Kroil "the oil that creeps"

That's it! Thanks............. It would've come to me................... eventually :tooth:
    I don't use any industry specific lubes at this time. I used friction defense for a while and liked it OK, but found it worked no better than many far cheaper automotive options. I use trans fluid, or motor oil for most of my lube needs. On my M1A and AK's I use a little synthetic grease also.

I used Gun Grease on an AMT Longslide I owned years ago, don't think I used any since on any gun. I just use regular gun oil.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Thornton COPosts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wonder how many frogs it takes to make one ounce of lube:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member North CarolinaPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Frog Lube gets to thick when the temperature drops ... I stored one of my HD carbines in the kitchen pantry (it's on an outside wall) that doesn't get heated to well and the BCG would not got into battery for the first 5 or so rounds until some heat got into it. Stripped that stuff of and back to Mobile 1.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Buy it direct- - - -no point in getting bent over a barrel by resellers:

www.kanolabs.com

I get it by the gallon, and use a lot of it freeing up rust-seized antique engines.
    Jerry