Home Main Category General Firearms

TNW Aero Survival Rifle.

mitdr774mitdr774 MemberPosts: 1,775 Senior Member
I have been browsing for a 10mm carbine and about the only option that pops up, and shouldnt risk any potential legal issues, is the TNW ASR. Does anyone on here have any experience with them? Based on searching online it seems to be about a 75% satisfied customer rate with their products. I know that for the most part you will have far more negative reviews from customers than positive as a rule. Most satisfied customers dont bother saying much but an unhappy customer will be sure to be heard.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/semiautomatic-centerfire-rifles%7C/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105524280/tnw-firearms-8482-aero-survival-semiautomatic-tactical-rifle/2253213.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsemiautomatic-centerfire-rifles%2F_%2FN-1114861%2B4294752058%2FNe-4294752058%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105524280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

It looks to have potential to be a lot of fun, but I know nothing about the company personally.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Interesting; but, for me if it was really to be a survival rifle, I would want it to come with iron sights----link doesn't seem to show any.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    No experience with that one. The Mech Tech Systems Carbine Conversion Unit would be initially more money, maybe, but is available in 10mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and 9mm, and other calibers dependent on which pistol frame you choose. All you need is the appropriate lower pistol frame, and appropriate magazines. Not saying it's better, just an alternative.

http://mechtechsys.com/
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I kind of like that. It would make a dandy HD carbine if it had a longer forend.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    I'm not using it as a survival rifle, just as a 10mm carbine. So it has my interest.

The company offers a 6" handguard extension that also continues the top rail. This would probably allow for a long enough sight radius to be practical. I'm sure any standard AR. Rail mounted sights would work fine.

I would probably want to put a fixed buttstock on it further removing the ability to pack it.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Full size rifles chambered in pistol calibers are inherently inefficient, as good as the 10mm might be, if you must have a pistol caliber long arm, get it in .357Mag or .44Mag. The TNW Aero Survival Rifle is the same size and weight of a variety of highly regarded AR15 rifles chambered in .223/5.56x45 selling nowadays for well under $500 - that's $200 less. In any scenario I can dream up, an AR15 in a rifle caliber with a standard 30 round magazine beats the TNW with its 10 round mag hands down. Forget this turkey, and buy an AR15 - something like a DPMS Oracle or an Anderson or whatever. Put the two bills you saved towards an extra upper in .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, or for real fun, .50 Beowulf.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member crusted in sandPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
    You carry a 1-1/8". barreled rimfire for self defense and now you're an authority on cartridge efficiency?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JRLJRL Member Posts: 355 Member
    Sounds like a lot of $$ for a pistol caliber carbine... But

You like it, it likes you... Go for it

Not every purchase has to be the most practical for the given use... Our hobby is about preferences, fun, choices, learning, sharing experiences
  • earlyearly Senior Member Thornton COPosts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I don't see that it's available in rimmed revolver cartridges.

Probly 9mm, 45 acp, and a full size 223 AR would be more economical to feed than 10mm.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Wouldn't be a bad idea in 9mm. Still the cheapest handgun ammo around here.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    A "survival rifle" in 10mm, given ammo availabilty, is pretty damn stupid if you ask me. But since you said it won't be used as such, I say GO FOR IT if it will scratch your itch. Not having any knowledge of this firearm, I would personally opt for a High Point .45 carbine and save the extra $400 for ammo.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    You carry a 1-1/8". barreled rimfire for self defense and now you're an authority on cartridge efficiency?

Sure. Why not? FYI, I still carry my NAA Mini Revolver now and then, but my primary carry is now my .380acp Taurus 738 TCP. But those are just for carry. At home, or in the car, it's a very different story. Uninvited guests should expect to be offered some very efficient cartridges.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    You carry a NAA mini for self defense? I have carried a Ruger LCP forever but knew I was under gunned and finally went with a 9mm KelTec.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,315 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Full size rifles chambered in pistol calibers are inherently inefficient...etc....

None the of that matters. Pistol caliber carbines are fun to shoot. The poster wants one and wants to know if this is a good one.

Why would you assume someone does not already have an AR pattern rifle? Because they want a 10mm carbine? That makes no sense whatsoever. I have many more 'efficient' and 'effective' guns, but I still want a 10mm carbine. Because reasons.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Why would you assume someone does not already have an AR pattern rifle? Because they want a 10mm carbine? That makes no sense whatsoever. I have many more 'efficient' and 'effective' guns, but I still want a 10mm carbine. Because reasons.
    Reasons like it takes the same magazines that my Glock does.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Rocketman wrote: »
    You carry a NAA mini for self defense? I have carried a Ruger LCP forever but knew I was under gunned and finally went with a 9mm KelTec.

Depending on what I'm wearing, or not wearing, sometimes discretion is the better part of caliber.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,766 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Depending on what I'm wearing, or not wearing, sometimes discretion is the better part of caliber.

I agree with that. I toted one for several years as a deep UC handgun. More of a morale booster than as a first-line defense round. I knew an ATL hostage negotiator who carried one in a cigarette pack. Not my first choice, but better than a dull stick.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Michakav wrote: »
    A "survival rifle" in 10mm, given ammo availabilty, is pretty damn stupid if you ask me. But since you said it won't be used as such, I say GO FOR IT if it will scratch your itch. Not having any knowledge of this firearm, I would personally opt for a High Point .45 carbine and save the extra $400 for ammo.

:that::agree:

That's what I was thinking about. Has anybody checked the High Point site? Maybe they're making their carbine in 10mm Now!

Looking around their sight they make it in 9mm, and 45 ACP.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I have an AR in 5.56 and dont shoot it. I find it rather boring. I would rather shoot a bolt action .22LR than my AR. If I could get an AR platform in 10mm I would go that route, but I have yet to come across an option that wasnt a custom build.

10mm is a lot of fun to shoot in a handgun, so it should be a lot of fun to shoot in a carbine length rifle. If I thought it was a practical option I would try to convert a 77/357 to 10mm since I think a 10mm bolt gun would be far more fun than an autoloader.

My desire for a 10mm carbine has nothing to do with survival and everything to do with a good time at the range with a fun caliber. Why else would I have rifles chambered in .347 and .44? I almost picked up a 77/44 yesterday to have a bolt gun in .44 to go with my lever gun and break action.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    If you reload, it would be great. If not, probably not that much benefit over a .40 cal cabine. Most 10mm commercial loads are weak, basically .40 in a bigger case. You can get more expensive stuff like corbon but you'd go broke feeding it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I already reload 10mm for my RZ10 so I'm set up already. Factory 10mm is quite pricey. This wouldn't be about a practical firearm purchase, so much as what should be a fun to shoot purchase.
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    I already reload 10mm for my RZ10 so I'm set up already. Factory 10mm is quite pricey. This wouldn't be about a practical firearm purchase, so much as what should be a fun to shoot purchase.

Did you look at the Mech Tech offerings? They have them in 10mm. And like the AR, one pistol frame can handle multiple caliber uppers.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I was trying to avoid having to buy a conversion top end and a new handgun. I also cant get a straight answer on the legality of it. Essentially converting a handgun to a rifle and then down the road back to a handgun.

I can get conversion is for the ASR to switch calibers. .45 acp would be the easiest, but 9mm, .357sig, and .40s&w should not be much more involved than switching to .45acp from 10mm. .40 and .357sig could potentially be less involved than .45
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    I was trying to avoid having to buy a conversion top end and a new handgun. I also cant get a straight answer on the legality of it. Essentially converting a handgun to a rifle and then down the road back to a handgun.

I can get conversion is for the ASR to switch calibers. .45 acp would be the easiest, but 9mm, .357sig, and .40s&w should not be much more involved than switching to .45acp from 10mm. .40 and .357sig could potentially be less involved than .45

That converting back and forth is explained on the Mech Tech website. Per BATFEIEIO, it's legal.
    ― Douglas Adams
    STill an option i guess, but Im looking at whatever the upper costs and then the cost of a new handgun as well. I have a chance at an ASR localish so I might go check it out.

Next time i go to my local range/store I will see about pricing a new Glock for a lower on a Mechtech.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    You should definitely get it and write up a range report here!

C'mon people, ENABLE!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    You should definitely get it and write up a range report here!

C'mon people, ENABLE!

I am my own enabler...

That is a promising review, but with any review that has potential for monetary gain or loss I will have to take it with caution. Still promising though.
    So its a bit ugly and really needs a handguard put on it for more than just asthetics reasons. I have yet to get it to the range and it does currently have a Nikon 2-7x33 scope on it.

20170129_144135_zpstoo2ycse.jpg
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nice!!! Can't wait to hear your range report!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I have only had this thing out a couple times. The first was just to see if it even functions correctly, and the second was to start trying to find what it likes.

The initial outing was to my local indoor range. I picked up a box of Federal 10mm and proceeded to be disappointed. Out to about 25 yards it was alright. Groups would stay within the black on a rifle target (i assume about 6" since I never measured) but at 50 yards was a complete crap shoot. I had much higher hopes than what I was seeing. After lots of disappointment I called it quits after 40 rounds and decided to let one of the LGS employees have at it with the last 10 rounds. He had the same crapish accuracy. After looking at the factory data on the box we assumed that the issue might be the weak loading. Im not sure why you would load a 10mm to just over .40 S&W velocities, but it was.

I threw together some loads slightly below max using Blue Dot powder. I have it and need to use it up so why not?? Using 155gr XTP, 165gr HP, 180gr FMJ, and 200gr XTP It was all a similar story. Out to about 30 yards it would group decent, much better than the factory load outing, but at 50 yards it was opening up a lot. I had a handful of 180gr XTP loads using a stiff charge of AA#9 laying around as well so I ran those through it. This was a huge improvement over the Blue Dot, but I still have a lot more testing to do to find its load. Since I am out of AA#9 and the Blue Dot is a no go I now need to find another powder to try.

Hopefully I can sort this out soon. I have plenty of 180gr FMJ, so I am hoping I can find a load it likes using those.