Home Main Category Clubhouse

My Last Uncle kkTonightHe

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
I Just got word from my sister that one of my first cousins called her that her dad, my dad's little brother died tonight. I think he was 87. He was 8 years younger than my dad and the baby of the family. My dad had one older sister and one younger sister and one younger brother. Now only my Aunt Crystal is left.

Getting older and having grand kids is great but this is the down side. My world is getting smaller. Yeah, I'm getting more grand kids and there are many new faces and new blood but from the stand point of those that made me what I am, are leaving one by one, and it feels very lonely.

Don Linn Walker took me under his wing way back there. He was one of those uncles that you remember. I think the first taste of beer I ever had he gave it to me. He was a character for sure. He was one of a kind. He didn't start trouble but he was very good at ending it. I think he was in fights until he was over 60. He just wasn't good at taking crap off people. He usually won.

He drank too much and smoked, but he was a good father and a great husband, but with all his bad habits he still lasted until 87. He just got through with a battle with Bladder Cancer. He won that too. But we do have a history of strokes in the family and they found him in the shower where he collapsed. They called EMS and they tried to revive him with no luck.

His five kids were my only first cousins with my last name and I love em dearly. His wife, my aunt by marriage was his partner in life and they had five great kids that have made them proud and the whole family proud. And she's my aunt by marriage, but she was as close as any blood kin. She Graduated **** Laudie (however you spell that) from the University of Texas. She is a very smart woman.

Anyway, He will be missed by many. Not by all, but by me and mine. Any prayers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Condolences for you loss Mike. But think how neat it must be to live and see what's on the other side!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    My condolences Mike.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    :angel2: :angel2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    My condolences Mike.

Thanks guys.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    I have an appointment with Immigration Tuesday in San Antonio. So I'll probably just head on up to Red Oak from there. That's where they live, between Dallas and Fort Worth. That's not a bad drive from San Antonio. Just get on I-35 and head up to Austin then up toward Dallas Fort Worth. But I'm thinking he will be buried in Atlanta (Texas) which is about 150 miles East of Dallas.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss Mike. Sounds like your Uncle lived a life he chose, thats always a good thing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Hay snake....

Know what you are experiencing. Lost my last Uncle back in November. Some parts of growing old are OK, other parts are pretty rough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,501 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss, Mike! He was from a tough generation, people like him, and you, are rare these days!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that Mike. Hang in there.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your uncle. All my uncles have passed.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Please accept my condolences, Mike.

I know what you mean about losing older family members. At one time, I had 7 uncles and 4 aunts. Now I only have 2 uncles. Thankfully, my mother is still with us.

God bless you and your family.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear it, snake.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Mike I'm sorry for your loss, i know how ya feel as I am the oldest left in my family.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Condolences for you loss :angel2:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    So sorry for your loss, and my condolences to you and your family.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    So sorry for your loss, and my condolences to you and your family.

Thanks guys, your condolences mean a lot. And Jay I'm not the oldest, but I'm 4th.

And Wambli you're so right. It doesn't make a flip if they're 100 or 20 you never are ready for one to check out. You want family to live forever. They're what you are! They're what brung you here.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have an appointment with Immigration Tuesday in San Antonio. So I'll probably just head on up to Red Oak from there. That's where they live, between Dallas and Fort Worth. That's not a bad drive from San Antonio. Just get on I-35 and head up to Austin then up toward Dallas Fort Worth. But I'm thinking he will be buried in Atlanta (Texas) which is about 150 miles East of Dallas.

Change of Plans. The funeral will be in the town of my birth, Atlanta, Texas, Not to be confused with those imposters from Georgia. It's in Cass County. If you've ever heard of the Ark La Tex, Atlanta is the capital of the Arklatex. It's only a few miles from Arkansas and Louisiana.

The town is dry. No beer, no whiskey, no wine. Ha! Do you believe that fairy tail? Its just not sold there.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I used to work for a guy who was from Atlanta, Tx. That was about a million years ago, though.

I had never heard of it until then.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss. It doesn't get any easier as time passes.

Is Arklatex anywhere near Texarkana? Seems like the people who lived in that area ran out of names.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Sorry for your loss Snake.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    :angel2::angel2:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Losing somebody we looked up to is never easy. I'm sorry for your loss, Mike.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear of your loss Mike. My favorite Uncle ( my godfather) and his wife are both in their 90's.

Last thursday he fell down the stairs and broke 3 ribs........Just sheer coincidence but while he was doing that, his wife fell in the kitchen and broke 2 bones in her hip. I fear I will be going through the same thing you are before too long. He calls me the Son he never had and I regard him as the father I wished I had.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    RIP, sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,983 Senior Member
    Condolences. I too am in the latter stage of life where there's more room on the runway behind me than there is ahead of me, and friends and family are dropping off. I have two very elderly aunts that are still with us, Goddess willing they'll be around for a bit yet. Planning on stopping by to visit at least one of them on my way to Florida...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(