Home Main Category Clubhouse

I just joined the 21st century

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's outright adorable that he thinks standalone GPS can't be traced. Ok, now I'm out... :tooth:

Hey, stay with your technological revolution updates................I like them even though I grumble about having to use new stuff. It does touch every faucet of our lives in one way or the other, either directly by us using it or passively we not not even be aware of.

Talk about "Shoot The Messenger" we are bad about that on here including yours truly. Like I've said before, Crystal Radios fascinate me :conehead: :conehead: so maybe I'm a Luddite too until I realize some of it can benefit me directly.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Here's the deal. I have a flip phone but can do text messaging, 'surf the net', take pictures, and, Holey Crap!, made actual voice phone calls on it!

I don't do text. If I need to contact someone, I call them. Takes less time to call than to text. If someone texts me, I call back. If they're busy I leave a message. I......don't......text message..............period. If I want to 'surf the net' it will be on a computer with at least an 18" color screen, not a 3"x5" or 4"x6" little bitty screen that I have to continuously scroll to see what I want to look at at the time. That's just silly.

GPS: I updated my stand-alone GPS unit a couple of weeks ago. Fully charged it will run for around 6 hours before needing a recharge, and plugs into the cigarette lighter in the truck. It 'might not' be as accurate as a smarty pants phone running GPS but it gets me within spitting distance of where I'm going, tells me speed and estimated travel time, and the speed limit for where I'm at at that time. AND THE FREAKIN' SCREEN IS BIGGER THAN YOUR SMARTY PANTS PHONE! And I have that annoying 'beech in a box' annoying me with directions/turns info. :tooth:

WORD.

I'll do text on rare occasions, but its clumsy and slow. Just as I was writing this, a dance sister blew up my fone with multiple texts about tonite's class! Forget about the stupid little screen for surfing the 'net, I want at least a 15 inch laptop for that - and somebody is apparently coming out with a laptop where 2 more screens fold out - THAT is an intelligent use of technology! What annoys me about the smart fone crowd is the continued litany about how I/everyone needs one. No, I don't. Obviously, smart foners like their devices - good for them. Maybe even some small percentage actually need/use them for something besides posting selfies on face***k, but for the clumsiness of the device and the enormous CO$T involved, it sure ain't for me. I get the distinct impression that much of the smart fone market is driven by perceived "prestige" *shrug*. I use a laptop in the field - not that that happens much anymore.

Wife got one a year back or so. Doesn't need it, but she succumbed to marketing and popular opinion. Costs her $50/month and the battery is ALWAYS going dead. Heck, I'm annoyed that my flip fone battery is only lasting 2 or 3 days instead of the week it did when it was new. I'll have to purchase a new battery for it at some point.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Big Chief wrote: »
    It does touch every faucet of our lives in one way or the other, either directly by us using it or passively we not not even be aware of.
    Would that be the kitchen, or bathroom faucet?!? :uhm:

:devil:

We need a "channeling Sam" smiley!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    After 23 years with the simple phones this one has a steep learning curve, but reading directions and watching videos are helping. I'm not one of those technology resisters, I just had a hard time justifying the cost for a more expensive phone, when all I did was make a limited amount of outgoing calls and received minimal incoming calls. The new phones are costing me only about $15 more per month for unlimited minutes, no roaming charges, the bells and whistles I was interested in, and has other capabilities that far outreach the old ones. I'm pretty happy about the whole thing.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    zorba wrote: »
    Would that be the kitchen, or bathroom faucet?!? :uhm:

:devil:

We need a "channeling Sam" smiley!

The Internet faucet/facet... my fingers were moving faster than my noggin...........AGAIN, thought I spell checked it. I must have misspelled it in the first place and selected the wrong correction. :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Then again, there are those electronic faucets, I used a variation of one in a Walmart latrine today to wash my hands, stingy with the water though.
    Them dang blowers about peel the skin off yer hands.............I "leanrt" to keep my hands a good bit away from the nozzle!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Then again, there are those electronic faucets, I used a variation of one in a Walmart latrine today to wash my hands, stingy with the water though.
    If the pwr goes south, can ya still get water?
    NN wrote: »
    If the pwr goes south, can ya still get water?

I dunno, no mechanical foot pedals like the latrines in some motor pools. First time I used one I stood there with soapy hands fer a minute trying to figure out how to make water come out.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I dunno, no mechanical foot pedals like the latrines in some motor pools. First time I used one I stood there with soapy hands fer a minute trying to figure out how to make water come out.
    The first time using the head on a navy ship can be interesting and then when you go to General Quarters you can get stuck.
    NN wrote: »
    The first time using the head on a navy ship can be interesting and then when you go to General Quarters you can get stuck.

Do tell..............what happens?

Yea, we have those where I work - a nuisance at best!

)O(
    I, on occasion send a TM.
    cpj wrote: »
    You folks need to learn....texting is awesome. You can communicate with someone without having to talk to them!

Email does the same thing, and is generally easier to deal with.

)O(
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Them dang blowers about peel the skin off yer hands.............I "leanrt" to keep my hands a good bit away from the nozzle!

I'd rather use a paper towel. Those hot air blowers suck in every particle of particulate in the poopie-pee room and then generously deposit them on your wet hands where they stick. :vomit:

Just take a hint from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and carry your own towel! :up: :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    You folks need to learn....texting is awesome. You can communicate with someone without having to talk to them!

Caller I.D. handles that nicely, TYVM!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Wild DogWild Dog Banned Posts: 67 Member
    You joined the 21st century? Big whoop, come back to me when you've been to the 22nd century. Some years ago I was visited by time travelers in search of a great warrior. You see, a century from now President Trump's walls have kept out most illegal aliens. I say most because their was one type of alien no wall could keep out: Extraterrestrials. I joined them aboard their time ship and used my skills and tactics to free our country in the future from a menace we have yet to face.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Now, I will say given the choice of a real GPS or phone GPS if I was in the woods with no signal, give me the real GPS. But since that happens never...

In South Central Alabama where I hunt, there are lots of large tracts where cellphone's are useless. I've heard about people becoming so dependant on their electronic devices that they lose the ability to perform basic tasks like map reading and navigating our nation's highway system.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    ......My only intent was to keep folks here informed, to what purpose eludes me now, of what the tech world is accomplishing. Every once in a while I try to give examples of why these technologies are meaningful, and share legitimate uses that most people find affect their lives in a positive manner. Apparently this is unwelcome and only serves as a magnet for negativity. So I'll just apologize and desist from doing so in the future.

Please don't! It's nice to talk about guns, hunting & gear, and to bump heads in the political arena every once in a while, but these kinds of data from a known internal source is always nice.

Problem might be that folks doesn't realize how helpful are these gizmos until they actually find some really practical use for the apps. In my case, Google Maps & Street View are super useful here & abroad, while as a music aficionado a metronome app and Shazam (You turn it on and any music playing in the room is automatically found and described with author, album, year, etc., and ready to be listened or purchased) are wonderful tools.
    Also use a lot a flashlight app that uses the phone's camera flash, and my wife uses Google Photo to upload into "the Matrix" all our pics for future organization and printing.

Not even Captain Kirk's tricorder was capable of performing so many tasks!