Car repair ordinance

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,252 Senior Member
A local community passed an ordinance saying you can only repair a car at your house if you own the car. If it's a friend's or family member's, you have to go to their house.

Just great. Say I have a well-equipped shop, and my hypothetical grandmother needs a radiator replaced. She can't bring her car to my house, I have to take all my tools over there. Talk about a screwy law!

http://www.beacononlinenews.com/news/daily/3927
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    Also a real nice slap in the face for all the guys who are out of work and trying to earn a little money working out of their home.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,233 Senior Member
    Not going to comment on the law. However, a book of blank sales receipts is available at places like Staples. If you gonna work on someone else's vehicle, write them a receipt for $1, or some other sum, for the vehicle sale to you. If questioned you have copy of receipt showing you bought the car. Repair the vehicle. Tear up original and copy sales receipt when owner picks up vehicle. If vehicle repairer tries to say the vehicle is now his, throw a bucket of gas on them and light it.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Ned's Notes:
    Note to tennmike, that might work if the licence plate is temp removed.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,233 Senior Member
    Some states allow transfer of license plate with title when registering the vehicle. Still gotta pay for the tag, though.

That law Breamfisher is talking about is just as wetadid as the ones down there in lots of cities that won't allow a pickup truck to be parked in the owner's driveway, or a boat on a trailer to be parked in the driveway. But you can park a drivable hunk of junk refugee from the car crusher that is shedding rust flakes like dandruff in the same driveway, and that's O.K. And the same group of Richard Craniums that will turn you in for having a pickup in your driveway are the first Neighborhood Nazis that will come over and ask like it is their right to borrow said pickup to haul something. They're mostly Democrats, though, so it's at least explainable in a perverted sort of way.:roll::roll2:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,163 Senior Member
    Yeah. . .that one's really going to get enforced hard, I'm sure. I'm certain every cop in town will immediately stop chasing murderers, theives, rapists, child molesters, pimps, and drug dealers to check he registered address of every car that has its hood up. . .and I'm equally certain that the community will support them when they do:roll:.

Pull the plates, write a bogus sales receipt, or just accept that the city council is smoking crack as they try (and fail) to justify their salaries, and go about your business.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,852 Senior Member
    DeanC wrote: »
    Also a real nice slap in the face for all the guys who are out of work and trying to earn a little money working out of their home.

That is exactly why the law went into effect. They want to tax that income.

Every law like this is passed because the city fears that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE is making money without paying tax.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,163 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Every law like this is passed because the city fears that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE is making money without paying tax.

I wonder if we'll see the rise of the itinerant Shao Lin mechanic, who, after years of training in the ASE monastery, wanders from place to place with his bag of Craftsman tools, having adventures and dispensing arcane wisdom while clandestinely fixing cars under the watchful eyes of The Man. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,232 Senior Member
    How about keeping the car in the garage, and the door closed...who will know?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    How about keeping the car in the garage, and the door closed...who will know?

I'd rather that the city council would worry about the thing that they should actually be worrying about, instead of being a bunch of (afforementioned) Richard Craniums. Many garages are not well ventilated, they can be somewhat cramped and, frankly, I prefer to work in the driveway if the weather allows. Just sayin'
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member

Where is this runaway "Lets get all the tax revenue we can and invent some for folks going to stop?" this is an outrage,totally inept assign,etc. etc. Once again I get the feeling we are at "TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION" Taxing folks to work on their own cars and trucks etc.... BS BS BS
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,252 Senior Member
    And again, I think you need to learn what "taxation without representation" means...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member

:that::that: What bullsi1911 said it what I am trying to expand on The Government want a piece of the action!!!! the taxes they might get from this and seeing that our National debt is beyond fixing and most states are dead broke and busted whats next? A fee or ordinance for taking two or more showers a day? Government intrusion and interference always starts out with the small potatoes, and ends up on a Nation wide scale, if ya git my drift:::::

And again, I think you need to learn what "taxation without representation" means...

The way I understand it is "Taxation without Representation" is defined as a situation in which a government imposes taxes on a particular group of tis citizens despite the citizens not consenting or having actal representative deliver their views when the taxation decision was made.. I also know that from history this was one of the triggering events that spurred the original thirteen American solonies to revolt against the British Empire.It was the catalyst behind the Boston Tea Party.. Yea Yea I know all that. IIRC it was a phrase attributed to James Otis about 1761 that reflected the resentment of the colonist being taxed....

Why can't a man or woman make a few bucks on the side without Government intrusion or interference? I have this twisted deffinition of what a tax is and whether is 100% correct or not its my way of thinking..... they don't want folks working on cars because the govenment hasn't figured out how to tax it is that it" Well as far as I am concerned this kind of thinking would lead to Taxation without representation........One can't make a few extra bucks on the side without the government telling NO, but then if ya do one is supposed to claim it at the end of the year on a 1040 if the amount is a certain amount????? Well as far as I am concerned a tax is fhte fees for DL renewal the fee for Licensee plates, fee's for hunting licensee fee for applications in some cases, court fees, fines, etc. See the way I see its all inter- connected in some way or another is just easier for me to call it "Taxation without Representation"
    "It is what it is":usa:
    So, are the city council members not duly elected representatives, with the power to levy taxes and ordinances?
    Overkill is underrated.
    I'm not sure if the Deltona City ordinance is about taxation, or keeping residences from looking like junk repair shops.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I'm not sure if the Deltona City ordinance is about taxation, or keeping residences from looking like junk repair shops.

The bolded is the main reason why they passed the ordinance. Think of one big, massive, homeowner's association. They're trying to keep the place looking "nice."

But it's still an unreasonable ordinance, in my opinion. Having to take your tools to someone else's house in town to do the repairs, when you have a good assortment at home makes it too much hassle.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Where I live there is an ordinince that you cant have a vehicle with expired tags in view of the puplic. I kind of like it, it keeps the nieghborhood clean and my neighbors from turning their property into a junk yard.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    The bolded is the main reason why they passed the ordinance. Think of one big, massive, homeowner's association. They're trying to keep the place looking "nice." But it's still an unreasonable ordinance, in my opinion. Having to take your tools to someone else's house in town to do the repairs, when you have a good assortment at home makes it too much hassle.
    Ordinarily I would agree, but I know the Deltona area, and 90% of the homes in that city are on 70X110 lots, or thereabouts. If I were living next door to someone who turned his garage into an auto repair shop, I would be pissed off having to listen to the noise and seeing all the scrap parts and cars on the property all the time, especially since I like to keep my home looking nice. It wouldn't bother me if it happened once in a while, like if they were doing a favor for granny or mom-in-law, but you know what's going to happen: the system will be abused by some, and that is what this ordinance is designed to prevent.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Well, that's true of a lot of Central FL areas. However, there's no rules like that that I'm aware of in DeLand, Mt. Dora, Tavares, or other such areas.

However, I do agree with you about the noise and sights. The noise is easily handled with town noise ordinances. Scrap parts would be too, I should think. No reason to pass a law making sure you only work on YOUR car at YOUR house. If your motorcycle broke down near me, wouldn't it make more sense just to repair it at my place than to haul it and my tools to your place?
    Overkill is underrated.
    I live near Mt. Dora. I don't know what regulations they have, but they do have their own Police Dept. and they have very tightly controlled city ordinances and zoning, but I do agree with your point about the convenience issue. Too bad Deltona couldn't come up with a way to identify home repair shops from casual repairs for a relative or friend that can't do the work themselves.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    I live near Mt. Dora. I don't know what regulations they have, but they do have their own Police Dept. and they have very tightly controlled city ordinances and zoning, but I do agree with your point about the convenience issue. Too bad Deltona couldn't come up with a way to identify home repair shops from casual repairs for a relative or friend that can't do the work themselves.

There's an easy way to identify 'home repair shops' from those doing casual repairs. Wait for the neighbors to complain, then act accordingly. The guy next door to me was getting to be a little much to deal with,(he's gone now) but that doesn't mean that somebody else shouldn't be allowed to work on a car if they feel like it. Let's just deal with the folks that cross the line and make a nuisance of themselves and leave the rest alone.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Saw a picture once of a homeowner's reaction to a gated community's new ordinance against parking trailered boats on streets or in driveways.........he put his 20' sailboat in his pool.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    There's an easy way to identify 'home repair shops' from those doing casual repairs. Wait for the neighbors to complain, then act accordingly. The guy next door to me was getting to be a little much to deal with,(he's gone now) but that doesn't mean that somebody else shouldn't be allowed to work on a car if they feel like it. Let's just deal with the folks that cross the line and make a nuisance of themselves and leave the rest alone.

There is the rub, if there is no law against it there is nothing you can do. Years ago I had a guy two houses down that would shuffle non running cars around for st sweeping. His place looked like a scrap yard and so did the street. I complained and was informed that he was breaking no law. The way I see theses ordinance's is if there is a complaint, there is something there they can act upon. I really dont see them looking to tax folks or verify that they are working on their own vehicle without cause.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.