Dedicated meme thread...............

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,331 Senior Member
    "The sea lies in wait for the unwary. She stalks the reckless!"
    Words of wisdom from an old sea dog who taught me coastal navigation.
    I can remember exactly ONCE - the sea was like a mirror - it was so calm that we rafted up to the buoy rather than transferring people and material back and forth. At one point, everybody was on the damn buoy until somebody suggested that the captain get back on the boat just in case the lines slipped off...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,567 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:
     Both were worthless on a flat calm sea.
    What's this "flat calm sea" of which you speak? Don't recollect every seeing anything like that! :D
    I worked on scientific buoys about that size, although they looked a bit different. Usually got the crap beat out of me - and the contents of my stomach beat out of me as well!
    More seriously, sometimes a flat calm was the worst to be doing buoy work. Instead of pitching and bucking, the buoy would just slowly lap, lap, lap, lap just enough to cause mega-hurl!
    But calm almost never happened - it was virtually always a question of whether or not we could even get on the buoy in the 1st place.
    If you want to see calm seas, take a cruise on the Indian Ocean.
    I was scuba diving off the coast of Oahu once.  The dive boat captain said it was a once or twice a year occurrence the ocean was dead calm and flat.  We were in 125' waters.  The surface was glass smooth, nary a ripple.  You could look straight down and see sea turtles and larger fish swimming like looking through an aquarium's glass window, super cool!  By the time we surfaced 40 min later the sea currents were flowing again.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:
     Both were worthless on a flat calm sea.
    What's this "flat calm sea" of which you speak? Don't recollect every seeing anything like that! :D
    I worked on scientific buoys about that size, although they looked a bit different. Usually got the crap beat out of me - and the contents of my stomach beat out of me as well!
    More seriously, sometimes a flat calm was the worst to be doing buoy work. Instead of pitching and bucking, the buoy would just slowly lap, lap, lap, lap just enough to cause mega-hurl!
    But calm almost never happened - it was virtually always a question of whether or not we could even get on the buoy in the 1st place.
    If you want to see calm seas, take a cruise on the Indian Ocean.
    I was scuba diving off the coast of Oahu once.  The dive boat captain said it was a once or twice a year occurrence the ocean was dead calm and flat.  We were in 125' waters.  The surface was glass smooth, nary a ripple.  You could look straight down and see sea turtles and larger fish swimming like looking through an aquarium's glass window, super cool!  By the time we surfaced 40 min later the sea currents were flowing again.
    It is really cool to see.  Especially when the only time there's a ripple, it's because flying fish showed up. 

We were playing war games in the Indian Ocean many moons ago, and day after day, the entire time we were there the ocean was like a mirror.  It reminded me of history when Magellan sailed around the world.  It's my understanding that they had to row part of the way across it.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    This one's for Zorba! I figured he'd get a kick out of it! :D

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Gila said:
    It is really cool to see.  Especially when the only time there's a ripple, it's because flying fish showed up. 

We were playing war games in the Indian Ocean many moons ago, and day after day, the entire time we were there the ocean was like a mirror.  It reminded me of history when Magellan sailed around the world.  It's my understanding that they had to row part of the way across it.
    If you were in the Indian Ocean close to the Equator then you were probably experiencing the Doldrums. The air rises straight up around the Equator and goes high and spreads North and South leaving the area around the Equator windless at times. Same-same in the Atlantic around the Equator.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tennmike said:
    This one's for Zorba! I figured he'd get a kick out of it! :D

Totally!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Gila said:

If you were in the Indian Ocean close to the Equator then you were probably experiencing the Doldrums. The air rises straight up around the Equator and goes high and spreads North and South leaving the area around the Equator windless at times. Same-same in the Atlantic around the Equator.
    What I actually experienced was how it is possible to hide an aircraft carrier, running full combat operations under clear skies, from the opposition in the middle of the ocean...  in spite of modern technology.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 23 #1510
    My favorite memory at sea was when the seas were calm, barely rippling, just as a full moon rose. The sea looked like it was strewn with diamonds.
    I haven't been back on the water since 1989, but my white hat did not sink before it left the shadow of The Gate...so I guess I have to go back once more, or Davy Jones will come looking for me. :smiley:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,636 Senior Member

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 638 Senior Member

Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand
    Southern sayings that you hear down here, from time to time.

And if you're bumfuzzled about the meaning of any of those, well bless your heart!

• Billy_BuddBilly_Budd Posts: 638 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

Haha!! Just as things started to get interesting....

Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand
    It's a Bronco II, so I'll give it a pass...............

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,567 Senior Member

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member
    edited March 27 #1529

Kodak bear?  I can't picture that. 

This story is still developing.  

Film at 11:00.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

Seems the punishment is a little harsh, to me. :D