Ghost guns----NBC News at it again

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 25,727 Senior Member
Just watched the 18:30 news tonight and NBC had another segment on those untraceable scary 'ghost guns'. Here's the write up on it on their website. I included the full text below without the single photo of the gun the former BATFEIEIO agent built for the news segment.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/loophole-lets-criminals-buy-untraceable-ghost-guns-line-n719121

Feb 9 2017, 6:46 pm ET
Loophole Lets Criminals Buy Untraceable ‘Ghost Guns’ On-line

by Lindsey Bomnin

A legal loophole means that anyone, including criminals, can order a so-called "ghost gun" off the web without a background check - a gun with no serial number that can't be traced.

The guns are built from kits and arrive in pieces, so under existing law, when they're shipped, they aren't guns. When assembled by their buyers, they're lethal - and legal.

Federal officials like Graham Barlowe, the resident agent in charge of the ATF's Sacramento office, say the loophole is dangerous.

"People that could not pass a background check," said Barlowe, "are purchasing these unfinished receiver kits and making firearms because they know that if they went to a gun store, they wouldn't be able to pass a background check."

Police say criminals are well aware of the availability of "ghost guns," and they've been used in shootings across the country, from Maryland to California.

Jeff Rossen, NBC News national investigative correspondent, went on-line to see how easy it would be to order these gun kits. He quickly found dozens of websites offering the product, and ordered a rifle kit, which he had shipped to former ATF agent Rick Vasquez in Virginia.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D.-N.Y., is trying to pass legislation that would ban people from buying untraceable "ghost gun" kits that allow people to make firearms without serial numbers. Via NBC News

All the parts needed to assemble a gun were in the box when it arrived. It took Vasquez a couple of hours to assemble the weapon.

"This is now a completed semi-automatic firearm," said Vasquez, showing it to Rossen. Rossen noted that there was no serial number on the finished product, making it untraceable.

Said Vasquez, "That is correct … You cannot trace this firearm." He and Rossen then took the weapon to a range and fired it, where in Vasquez's expert opinion, it "work[ed] great."

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D.-N.Y., the senate minority leader said he wants to close the loophole, but expects fierce opposition from the National Rifle Association. "We are going to try to pass legislation," said Schumer. "The trouble is the NRA is so unreasonable and has such power in the Congress, you'd think this should pass like that, but it is going to be a long hard road."

The NRA did not respond to repeated requests for comment.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,662 Senior Member
    Have those doofuses ever realized that Home Depot sells 80% Sten receivers on aisle 8?

I love how any law they don't like or understand is a "loophole"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I would love to challenge the idiots in DC, Sacramento, NY, etc or media cockroaches to buy an 80% lower and kit then with no help turn it into a functional firearm. I have done one AR and it was a PITA for me to do with my tools and decent understanding of the AR. I would almost bet Schmucker, Rosen or Barlowe couldn't do it. As to ATF agent Vasquez and the couple hours kit I will bet dollars to donuts that it was a kit sans lower and they did not use an 80% lower.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Have those doofuses ever realized that Home Depot sells 80% Sten receivers on aisle 8?
    Ummm NO?
    They'd probably require INTENSE therapy if they did

Of course... "We have to pass it to know what's in it"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    I couldn't resist...
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    [video=youtube_share;REdjjLBaiOs]
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member

Who did you have spying on me at Home Despot? :uhm:

Anyway, I have three 80% aluminum 'ladies in waiting' awaiting the tender ministrations of the mini mill, which will start next week. Due to a change of plans, the Molon Labe marked one will sport that .50 BMG upper I need to get on order soon. Not long until the SE Shoot! :tooth:

001-1_zpscwowuohb.jpg
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Why didn't they speak of the ordering of a milling machine and the tooling along with the kit he ordered to show a "complete" ghost gun? I'm betting he put enough components on an unfinished lower to trick the liberal media and convince them that a "deadly firearm" can be so easily built by the average criminal.
    They would have an aneurysm if someone showed them what you can make with sugar and stump remover
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    They would have an aneurysm if someone showed them what you can make with sugar and stump remover

Damn good rocket fuel :jester:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member

Crap, just a piece of dry ice and a plastic drink bottle or Drano and ... ahhh you guys know.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

High concentration nitric a sulfuric acid, and raw cotton, and rinse water.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    These Libtards are so hard up to take away our 2A rights they will resort to bold face BS lying to get people to believe it. The sad part is this BS works on many people. You could tell half of them we dropped the Bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the Good Year Blimp and they'd buy it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    WHAT? You mean the blimp did not drop the nukes????????? :uhm::rotflmao:

Seriously, what I saw was a polymer lower being shown, not a big deal to machine, not that the Aluminum ones are, takes me about an hour and a half to mill an Al one, with a drill press and a laminate router (and the jigs of course).

The biggest bull crap I got out of that "news" piece is the way they emphasized that Law Enforcement was extremely scared of these "ghost" guns that have no serial numbers (not in a database somewhere).
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,017 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I would love to challenge the idiots in DC, Sacramento, NY, etc or media cockroaches to buy an 80% lower and kit then with no help turn it into a functional firearm. I have done one AR and it was a PITA for me to do with my tools and decent understanding of the AR. I would almost bet Schmucker, Rosen or Barlowe couldn't do it. As to ATF agent Vasquez and the couple hours kit I will bet dollars to donuts that it was a kit sans lower and they did not use an 80% lower.

I saw the same "Newscast" and the FBI guy had an AR receiver lying on a work bench and he was going after it with a cordless drill. Of course, they never showed a closeup of the "80%" receiver, so he could have been faking it. Can you do an 80% without a jig to drill the holes?
    I saw the same "Newscast" and the FBI guy had an AR receiver lying on a work bench and he was going after it with a cordless drill. Of course, they never showed a closeup of the "80%" receiver, so he could have been faking it. Can you do an 80% without a jig to drill the holes?

There was a company that was doing receivers with the holes pre-dimpled at the hole locations so someone could THEORETICALLY drill it with a hand drill (if you could keep it straight). ATF shut them down as being over 80%
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    This fed broke more than one law for the article. Isn't a serial number and manufacturers name required info on a firearm?

My other question. What took him so long?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    This fed broke more than one law for the article. Isn't a serial number and manufacturers name required info on a firearm?

My other question. What took him so long?
    It is for a licensed manufacturer that SELLS them. None of it is required for one you build for personal use.

Just like I'd have to put "My Name and "My City and state" on anything I filed a form 1 on (SBR reciever, AOW supressor) because I am "manufacturing" the NFA item.

If it's not a NFA item, and it's for my use, or to be a gift to a family member, I have no requirement for a name of ser #

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Huh, I stand corrected. Thanks Paul.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

I watched that 'news piece' closely. He had the plastic jig that came with the polymer lower for locating holes and milling out the trigger pocket. It was a quick camera shot, and easy to miss if you weren't looking. They did that on purpose (quick shot of jig with no explanation) to further the agenda of how easy it is to make a functional lower from the kit of parts that come with the lower.
    There was a company that was doing receivers with the holes pre-dimpled at the hole locations so someone could THEORETICALLY drill it with a hand drill (if you could keep it straight). ATF shut them down as being over 80%

BATFEIEIO declared those to be illegal and seized them from the manufacturer. Somehow that 'dimple' made them more than 80% complete. :roll2:

They, bieng the same BATFEIEIO also declared illegal the ones that came with the fire control pocket filled with a different color polymer material to let you know when you'd removed enough material in the fire control pocket. That second color polymer material was SOLIDLY bonded to the lower, so it had to be milled out.

First two I built had the dimples, different color polymer fire control pocket, and came with the mill and drill jig. They were no different, machining wise, from the later ones without dimples or different color polymer fire control pocket material.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Ghost Gun mill... for the rest of us, from Ghost Gunner. $1500.00

https://ghostgunner.net/

defdist_1_1024x1024_c3b77ee8-13c8-4415-b8e1-9dee0ac19ff5_1024x1024.jpg?v=1462418709
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: