Constitutional vs Permited carry?

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
I am wondering about reciprocity laws when constitutional carry becomes law in a state. Currently I have reciprocity in 38 other states. NC is considering a law to no longer require permits. I am all for this, but am unsure how carrying in other states will work. How has it worked for you other guys when your states have gone the no permit route. I do not travel out of state much, but would hate to lose the freedoms elsewhere. I understand the federal law in the works, but doubt that is going anywhere.
It's because I hate Trump.

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    You can still get a permit which allows you to carry in other states that require one.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    Idaho now has Constitutional carry, and I work in Washington State, so I cross state lines five days a week. Montana is only 30 miles away, and I occasionally need goods without sales taxes.

Because of the fairly lax carry laws in all three states, I let my Utah permit lapse long ago. When I travel further, I simply follow the state laws for vehicles. If the state law is, uhm, cumbersome, I make a decision based on risk assessment.

I'll never have another permit.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks for the info guys.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Tuba, if it passes NC will still issue CHPs for those who wish to cover their self for travel out of state (say a quick run to Frugal MacDoogal's across the SC/NC line). Also it would still be an alternative to our stupid PPPs for handguns and NICS for long guns so the $75 for 5 years is actually not a bad investment.

Now will it pass? I think it will hit Stooper's desk but being the Dem **** he is I see a Veto stamp. Back to the legislature they do have enough party count to override it but there are a few Reps who might be on the fence so it ain't a for sure deal especially with opening up other legislated Gun Free Zones that the media is running as the second coming of The Blood in the Streets Wild West.

Another thing hopefully coming will be to do away with the Jim Crow PPPs but there again goes Stooper so with his NC Sheriffs Ass connection and their desire to keep their power and money maker it would take the same route.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Tuba, if it passes NC will still issue CHPs for those who wish to cover their self for travel out of state (say a quick run to Frugal MacDoogal's across the SC/NC line). Also it would still be an alternative to our stupid PPPs for handguns and NICS for long guns so the $75 for 5 years is actually not a bad investment.

Now will it pass? I think it will hit Stooper's desk but being the Dem **** he is I see a Veto stamp. Back to the legislature they do have enough party count to override it but there are a few Reps who might be on the fence so it ain't a for sure deal especially with opening up other legislated Gun Free Zones that the media is running as the second coming of The Blood in the Streets Wild West.

Another thing hopefully coming will be to do away with the Jim Crow PPPs but there again goes Stooper so with his NC Sheriffs Ass connection and their desire to keep their power and money maker it would take the same route.
    No doubt Cooper is a major holdup. I know some states keep optional permits, part of my concerns. Do you keep the permit for reciprocity, and purchases, or do you go with the freedom option. It would be great to do away with the purchase permit nonsense.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'll still keep my CC License because I travel enough that it just makes sense to me. Actually I'm so paranoid I have not given up my Florida OR my New York licenses.

I can understand this sentiment.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Tennessee has talked about doing away with them. I plan on renewing this year with the lifetime permit they offer for this and other reasons.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY