Could the ATF deregulate suppressors before the hearing protection act?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,096 Senior Member
Take this however you will.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/breaking-high-ranking-atf-official-proposes-de-regulation-suppressors-gun-imports/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20170210_FridayDigest_108g&utm_campaign=/blog/breaking-high-ranking-atf-official-proposes-de-regulation-suppressors-gun-imports/

This unofficial report apparently reflects recommendations from a high-ranking member at the ATF. Could this be the new administration leaning on the high ranking members of the ATF to make good on this without forcing a congressional hearing about the HPA? Secondly, if this did occur how revocable is it? The ATF has a history of doing things at the whip of a pen.

My fear is that if something were done at the ATF and not at the congressional level there is no force of law to make it remain. The ATF supposedly deregulating suppressors is not much different then a schoolteacher giving students five more minutes of recess only to take that away the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    They MIGHT but without a legal base to back it up, I'd be concerned about BATFEIEIO changing their mind with the first puff of a breeze from a different direction.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The government saying no to tax revenue?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    The government saying no to tax revenue?

A valid cynicism.

Deputy Director Turk said the inclusion of suppressors in the NFA in the 21st century was "archaic and worth discussion".

I'm intrigued to hear more as this develops. Unless it evaporates with his career. Ha.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,563 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    A valid cynicism.

Deputy Director Turk said the inclusion of suppressors in the NFA in the 21st century was "archaic and worth discussion".

I'm intrigued to hear more as this develops. Unless it evaporates with his career. Ha.

I'm reasonably sure that modifying an act of congress (NFA 1934) can only be accomplished by congress.
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I'm reasonably sure that modifying an act of congress (NFA 1934) can only be accomplished by congress.

And they operate with utter disregard for the 2A already. Might as well surely operate with impunity above the NFA.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    This needs to be legislated - the ATF cannot be trusted.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    This. If it ain't a binding piece of legislation, I don't trust 'em. Rulings or findings can change.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,660 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. They are either:
    1- the ATF is thinking of removing them from the NFA to kill the HPA. Can't have the citizens thinking they can change the way the ATF works! Head off any thought of removing other items from the GCA. Cut off the foot to save the leg sort of thing.
    2- delist suppressors to kill the HPA, then relist them as soon as the republicans fumble the ball and lose the majority.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    How about removing the "F" from the BATFE name and let them concentrate on harassing the people who produce cigarettes, booze, and Roman Candles? They were a bunch of crooked thugs back in the days of Prohibition, and they haven't changed their ways much since then- - - -they've gotten worse, if anything!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Yep. They try and act all "we're here for the people", but that's garbage.

Every time I have to email our ATF contact or I am doing paperwork, I tell myself, "they will come here and destroy my life for no other reason than they like the power."

States already regulate their own alcohol, tobacco, and firearms by legislation. What the hell do the Feds need to be in state business for?

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,345 Senior Member
    Legislation is, unfortunately, the only answer. Those who are "accommodating" now, will sooner or later be replaced with those who see potentially silent mass killings behind every suppressor sale and criminally genius psychopaths behind every firearm sale.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,715 Senior Member
    Legislation is the only sure way to handle it. Put it in law, in writing, and with a President's signature on it.
    And that can be changed with a Congress and President to something else down the road. Only sure way to make things right is to have a Supreme Court make the strict constitutional interpretation of the 2nd amendment law a ruling, and do away with the BATFE with the force of the Constitution. Always better to deal with the conflicts of too much freedom than too little.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.