Bad ideas

2»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,054 Senior Member
    I'll have to add to the "safety" discussion. When LE agencies switched over from revolvers to automatics, there were a number of accidents. I was with a LE agency well after the introduction and NEVER saw a unintentional discharge so I have to credit training.

As far as accidental discharges, I think the 1911 has to be way up there because it's been around a lot longer and training on it was relatively short and the use of 1911s was more of an "occasional" thing rather than vast numbers of troops armed with 1911s. It was a secondary weapon, which pistols are in most of the services. Give a GI a 1911 and regardless of everything else, he's likely to have an accident.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member
    The problem, here, coolgunguy, is a lot of folks who are getting their first guns
    are buying glocks, because they're a cheap name brand.

They don't have training, sense, supervision, or an awareness of the ND/AD problem with
    glock safeties. All they have is money, and a desire to get in the game.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Bad ideas?

GLOCK
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Where is the evidence? Empirical, not anecdotal.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Where is the evidence? Empirical, not anecdotal.

Forget evidence, of any kind. It's too late, we're way past that now. The decision has already been made. It's a done deal, end of story.
    cpj wrote: »
    He won't post it. Wanna place bets?

There really isn't any to post. Millions of Glocks are in safe and effective service all around the solar system. And I don't care. The safe-action mechanism is insane on its face, the danger is obvious and self-evident, and requires no further adult comment. The evaluation is final. There is no appeal.

But even if the Glock came with a de-cocker safety and a grip safety, it would still be a bad idea. After all, we learn as little kids not to put a square peg in a round hole. It follows that a round barrel shouldn't be put in a square slide. It is ugly - a Gorgon among handguns. It's insulting to every sense of proportion and perspective, turning right and wrong, good and evil, done and not-done, upside down. It flies in the face of God.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I bet there are more NDs per year with G17s than with HK P7s ... because they made more G17s in a year than all the P7s HK made in their entire production run. Statistics can be made to show about anything a person wants with a little creativity plus 67.5% of statistics are just made up.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Come on, Wambli, these guys just know there are problems! Because feelings!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You think NAA mini revolvers are a good choice for self defense. No one takes you seriously.

Of course there are more effective guns in more effective calibers. I carry my .380 nowadays more than my NAA .22 Magnum, but if you're not carrying anything else, a Mini Revolver is, by default, a good choice for self-defense, far superior to nothing at all, or anything left at home.
  • DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Bad ideas?

GLOCK

What, really? But, but, but why?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,054 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »

But even if the Glock came with a de-cocker safety and a grip safety, it would still be a bad idea. After all, we learn as little kids not to put a square peg in a round hole. It follows that a round barrel shouldn't be put in a square slide. It is ugly - a Gorgon among handguns. It's insulting to every sense of proportion and perspective, turning right and wrong, good and evil, done and not-done, upside down. It flies in the face of God.

God forbid that I should defend myself with an ugly gun.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,352 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Come on, Wambli, these guys just know there are problems! Because feelings!

Exactly. They know there are problems with Glocks the same way I knew Trump wouldn't be elected.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    -..--...--..-..!
    -..--.-...--!
    .--_--..---..--..-...-.--!
    -..--.---.----.-..---!

I found this archival western union telegraph exchange circa 1913 of a SAA owner berating one of them newfangled 1911 owner for needing a add-on mechanism to "safe" their firearm. Fascinating stuff!

.... .. .-.. .- .-. .. --- ..- ... .-.-.-.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hey it's easier to just rack the slide on your pump .410 and watch the bad guys drop dead from a heart attack, no?

:up:

NRA Endowment Member
2»