Home Main Category Clubhouse

Remembering a real mountain man and friend

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,958 Senior Member
As i get older i find myself reminiscing about the good old days. In 69 i met Jim Marten, I was 32 he was 65 or 66, already retired, He was born in Paonia Colorado. I was living in Broomfield Co. until 70 when I moved back to Miami Fla. I drove up to meet him every year until he died in 81, we hunted elk, deer, and sometimes lopes, we hunted Hardscrabble Mt., the Flat Tops, Sangre De Christo mts. and the Wet Mt. Valley. Jim was somewhat of an enigma, before he retired he would guide hunters for Mt. Lion in the fall and winter, Although he was not Jewish, during the summer he was a certified "Kosher Chef" at the resorts in the Catskill Mts. in N.Y. At night we would sit around the fire, drinking Mogan David Blackberry Brandy, the only thing he drank as "it warms yer innerds on a cold nite" He always cooked a great dinner, when it was time to sleep I would sleep in my trailer but Jim always slept out side up on the mountain "wake my early when ya get here, bring coffee hot and black". He had his old bed roll from when he hunted on horseback. I remember one year in 71 or 72 we were on Hardscrabble for elk in the last season, it was bitterly cold, I wanted him to sleep in the trailer, but he said no, "just wake me up, I'll be at the cutoff to SOB gulch" when i got there he was covered in snow with the canvas flap over his head, i knocked the snow off him, he crawls out, pulls on his boots, has his coffee, picks up his rifle and say "lets get some elk" and we both did. Although I was 30+ years younger it was hard to keep up with him, he would take me in the roughest country cause, "elk are where hunters aint".He was one of the toughest men and best hunter i ever knew.

Well Jim its been 36 years since we hunted, just letting ya know I still think of you, RIP

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wish I could have met him.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Great little read! Amazing man I'm sure.

Can't fathom what Broomfield must have looked like in 70!! That's where my brewery is
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    Awesome memory. I enjoyed reading that.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    As i get older i find myself reminiscing about the good old days. In 69 i met Jim Marten, I was 32 he was 65 or 66, already retired, He was born in Paonia Colorado. I was living in Broomfield Co. until 70 when I moved back to Miami Fla. I drove up to meet him every year until he died in 81, we hunted elk, deer, and sometimes lopes, we hunted Hardscrabble Mt., the Flat Tops, Sangre De Christo mts. and the Wet Mt. Valley. Jim was somewhat of an enigma, before he retired he would guide hunters for Mt. Lion in the fall and winter, Although he was not Jewish, during the summer he was a certified "Kosher Chef" at the resorts in the Catskill Mts. in N.Y. At night we would sit around the fire, drinking Mogan David Blackberry Brandy, the only thing he drank as "it warms yer innerds on a cold nite" He always cooked a great dinner, when it was time to sleep I would sleep in my trailer but Jim always slept out side up on the mountain "wake my early when ya get here, bring coffee hot and black". He had his old bed roll from when he hunted on horseback. I remember one year in 71 or 72 we were on Hardscrabble for elk in the last season, it was bitterly cold, I wanted him to sleep in the trailer, but he said no, "just wake me up, I'll be at the cutoff to SOB gulch" when i got there he was covered in snow with the canvas flap over his head, i knocked the snow off him, he crawls out, pulls on his boots, has his coffee, picks up his rifle and say "lets get some elk" and we both did. Although I was 30+ years younger it was hard to keep up with him, he would take me in the roughest country cause, "elk are where hunters aint".He was one of the toughest men and best hunter i ever knew.

Well Jim its been 36 years since we hunted, just letting ya know I still think of you, RIP

JAY

What can anybody say about that Jay? I loved it. I really enjoyed that read. Thanks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    TY for the story. Reminds me a bit of an uncle of mine, now long gone.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing. Mr. Marten sounds like a man everyone here would like.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Can't fathom what Broomfield must have looked like in 70!! That's where my brewery is

I lived at 880 Nickle St. bought the house in 69 paid $14,900, I worked at Gates Lear Jet at Stapleton, driving home on 36 it was miles of ranch and farms, open space, 1 block north of me Broomfield ended, nothing but the dump and rolling hills as far as you could see.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT